Main Menu

NUMBER 999 !

Started by anlauto, January 16, 2017, 07:14:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Burdar

Thanks everyone!  It means a lot that you still think about him.  His 8th birthday is coming up on Feb 5th.  It's hard to think about the fact that he's been gone almost as long as he was here.  It doesn't seem possible.

One of the main reasons I wanted to restore my dad's Challenger is because I was looking forward to passing it on to Owen.  Now that he's gone, there is no one to pass it on to.  For that reason, my interest in the car has become nonexistent.  The car sat unused in my aunts shop in 2014.  I took it out of storage and drove it a little in 2015 but really wasn't enjoying myself.  It sat all last year in storage again.  It needs some carb/rear end work to be more drivable but I'm just not motivated to do anything with it.  There are no plans to sell it but there are also no plans to drive it any time soon. 

Right now Julie and I are just trying to figure out what to do with ourselves.  It feels like we are pedaling a bike but we aren't going anywhere.  We're just kind of stuck where we are.  We've been doing a little volunteering for St Jude to give something back to them and to try and find our purpose again.  It's definitely going to be a life long struggle.  You never "get over" something like this.

Ok, now back to happier discussions...

anlauto

Well I for one are glad you joined us @Burdar , your knowledge on 1973-74 E Bodies is unsurpassable  :worship: :welcome:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Oldschool

Quote from: Burdar on January 27, 2017, 06:25:25 AM
Thanks everyone!  It means a lot that you still think about him.  His 8th birthday is coming up on Feb 5th.  It's hard to think about the fact that he's been gone almost as long as he was here.  It doesn't seem possible.

One of the main reasons I wanted to restore my dad's Challenger is because I was looking forward to passing it on to Owen.  Now that he's gone, there is no one to pass it on to.  For that reason, my interest in the car has become nonexistent.  The car sat unused in my aunts shop in 2014.  I took it out of storage and drove it a little in 2015 but really wasn't enjoying myself.  It sat all last year in storage again.  It needs some carb/rear end work to be more drivable but I'm just not motivated to do anything with it.  There are no plans to sell it but there are also no plans to drive it any time soon. 

Right now Julie and I are just trying to figure out what to do with ourselves.  It feels like we are pedaling a bike but we aren't going anywhere.  We're just kind of stuck where we are.  We've been doing a little volunteering for St Jude to give something back to them and to try and find our purpose again.  It's definitely going to be a life long struggle.  You never "get over" something like this.

Ok, now back to happier discussions...

I feel your pain Burdar. I lost my oldest daughter when she was 18 years old back in 2001. She died in her bed during the night and I found her the next day. I know I have no magic words for you, but I have decided to move forward in my and my families life with these 2 things in mind:

1) - I am thankful for the 18 years that we did have her because not a single day is promised to us.

2) - If, and I know it can't happen, but if, we could talk to our kids, they would want us to move forward with all of our lives and never forget them. Of course we could never forget them, but I live my life like that is what she would want us to do.

Like I said, No magic here, but I hope it helps a little bit.

Ken

blown motor

Darren, when I stopped to see you and Julie a couple months ago I could feel how much the two of you were hurting. It was unsettling and I know I can't change things for you. We came within inches of loosing our son seven years ago. I have no idea what state I would be in if he didn't make it. I think Ken said it well, they would want us to move forward. There is no doubt in my mind that when someone passes on they are still with us. We just have to look for the signs. I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

headejm

@Burdar I hope you find the peace that you and your wife seek out and deserve. Love and prayers.

HP_Cuda

Darren

Ever thought of doing an car event with St. Jude which involves your dad's Challenger? I know it may be tough but it would honor Owen and also help a good cause. I completely understand if you don't want to.

On a happier note, how is the convert project you were working on?  :wrenching:

Bryan
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

anlauto

Why not get a license to raffle off the car for charity ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Burdar

We had a cruise for St Jude in October of 2015 and we raised a couple thousand dollars.  It was mostly close friends and family who showed up.  We were disappointed in the turnout.  A lot of fliers were handed out at shows throughout the year but no one showed.  It was probably a combination of price and time of year.  Football season had just started and we had the price too high. We didn't have a cruise last year and we haven't talked about one for this year yet.

The Dart is coming along slowly.  I've been trying to buy parts for it a little at a time.  We are trying to save up for some other things so the pace has slowed down.  I've been trying to get into woodworking with my dad.  Last year I built a headboard, two night stands and some out door benches.  I've got two dressers and a TV stand started.  I need to get those finished this winter.

HP_Cuda

Very cool Darren.

I've recently done some walnut wood working recently for a table top project. It was really fun and turned out great.

Cuda Cody

Could we see some of the stuff you and your dad have been building out of wood?  Wood working scares me...   :D  You get one shot and that's it so better be sure before you cut!  How long has your dad been in to wood working?

Burdar

He's always been working with wood.  He built the house I grew up in.(did everything but the plumbing) He co-owned a construction business in the 70's before a partner stole a bunch of stuff and split.  When that went under, he became the manager of a large roof truss manufacturing plant.  He had that job for close to 30 years.  He is still the head roof designer at a different company but is starting to slow down.  He is hoping to retire at the end of the year.

My Photobucket account was getting really full so I deleted some of the woodworking pictures.  I'll have to post them from home later.  I did build this trophy out of 5.7 Hemi parts.  The wooden base is about as basic as you can get.  It turned out kind of cool though.  A friend works at a dealer and pulled some junk parts out of the metal pile.

Cuda Cody

:wowzers:  That's a brilliant idea for a trophy!  Nice work.   :clapping:  Pretty neat that your dad is so knowledgeable with wood and has that much experience with it.  Please do post more later if you have time.   :twothumbsup:

blown motor

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 27, 2017, 12:38:07 PMWood working scares me...   :D  You get one shot and that's it so better be sure before you cut! 

On another note, the quote reminded me of this. Many years ago I cut the end of my finger with a skil saw rather badly. It didn't heal and the doctor removed it back to the end knuckle. My daughter thinks I should get a tatoo on it that says "Measure twice, cut once".
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  That would be a great tattoo!

I took the very end of my finger off with a hammer a few years back while working on some front brakes.  I taped it back on and kept working.  My wife was not impressed when I told her it "should be fine".  She made me go to the hospital and get it sewn back on.  Glad I did!  They saved it and doesn't look bad at all now, but I have no feeling it in.  But at least it's still on.    :pokeeye: 

HP_Cuda

Hey Darren

What part of the Dart you working on next? I have a local buddy here that recently built a dart convert just like yours with a pumped 340. It shows real nice, although I remember he had some issues with the alum rad being too high.I'll try and post some pics up soon of my buddy's Dart.

B

Quote from: Burdar on January 27, 2017, 12:23:52 PM
We had a cruise for St Jude in October of 2015 and we raised a couple thousand dollars.  It was mostly close friends and family who showed up.  We were disappointed in the turnout.  A lot of fliers were handed out at shows throughout the year but no one showed.  It was probably a combination of price and time of year.  Football season had just started and we had the price too high. We didn't have a cruise last year and we haven't talked about one for this year yet.

The Dart is coming along slowly.  I've been trying to buy parts for it a little at a time.  We are trying to save up for some other things so the pace has slowed down.  I've been trying to get into woodworking with my dad.  Last year I built a headboard, two night stands and some out door benches.  I've got two dressers and a TV stand started.  I need to get those finished this winter.