Main Menu

Pilot Bushing for auto to manual conversion

Started by 7dcuda, October 11, 2022, 08:46:56 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Fastmark

I agree that the bushing is better than the roller bearing. I've used the bushing ones and that is what I prefer. I only have one left and I'm saving it for my car. Bushings worked for years. I've got a friend that his roller bearing went out and stacked the bearings and ruined the input to his trans. It can happen but probably rare. Can't stack the bushing type. Worst case senario but you could knock out the bearing and install a bushing in place. Might have to turn down the od of the bushing.

anlauto

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 11, 2022, 09:08:24 PM
Crazy that the bushing is discontinued  every Mopar from the 1940s at least used that same bushing !!
I am sure I have some left but they are 6000 miles away .
Does anybody have a picture of the bushing the OP is looking for ? I don't believe I've ever seen one  :huh:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

7dcuda

[/quote]
Does anybody have a picture of the bushing the OP is looking for ? I don't believe I've ever seen one  :huh:
[/quote]

It looks identical to the pic I posted earlier in this thread except it has a bronze bushing in the middle instead of the needle bearing.

If anyone has a Bushing type that they'd be willing to part with I'd pay top dollar for it.

Filthy Filbert

why not make one?  buy the needle bearing part that you don't want, punch out the bearing, and press in a bronze bushing?    Even if it requires you to call a local machine shop to turn one on a lathe, it wouldn't be that expensive, and would only take about a week to complete.

7dcuda

Quote from: Filthy Filbert on October 12, 2022, 07:18:50 AM
why not make one?  buy the needle bearing part that you don't want, punch out the bearing, and press in a bronze bushing?    Even if it requires you to call a local machine shop to turn one on a lathe, it wouldn't be that expensive, and would only take about a week to complete.

I've already considered that....and may end up doing that if I can't find one to buy.....it's just a hassle. 

TelisSE440

It was that, i think they sold it back in '15 when i finally got a bearing for mine, bushing didn't fit. Anyway they dont sell it now as far as i know...

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

TelisSE440

Don't know if the info is correct but also came on to this...

7dcuda

Yay!  I found the bushing I was looking for...someone had an extra one that they were willing to part with. 

YellowThumper

Would be a simple item to have made. Look up bearing supply houses. Local in SoCal is Bearings and Drives. They would have the bronze blank stock in stock. Probably also would recommend or provide supplier to make what you need. We made custom transmission boxes all tje time for our injection mold.
Bronze that is self lubricating.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Chryco Psycho

I have always used the one pictured on the left in the last picture , usually under $4

anlauto

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 13, 2022, 04:59:43 PM
I have always used the one pictured on the left in the last picture , usually under $4

me too :bigthumb: