Main Menu

Radio Options R11, R22, R26, R31, R32, R33, R35, R36

Started by cataclysm80, January 18, 2017, 09:45:19 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Quote from: 750-h2 on February 08, 2017, 11:30:46 AM
Great info! My car which I believe is all original has the R31 rear speaker and fader switch yet the fender tag only shows R11. Were these radio codes always on the data tag?

NO
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Burdar

The rear speaker option didn't require a special body modification.  Both speaker holes were punched in the package tray area no matter if the car had a radio or not.  The body shop didn't need to know that info so there was no reason to put it on the tag.

fc7cuda

Quote from: cataclysm80 on February 08, 2017, 10:48:52 AM
:iagree:  Yep, that is correct.

Quote from: Burdar on February 08, 2017, 10:19:34 AM
so they could install a fender with an antenna hole in it. 

Except I think the assembly line didn't have fenders with antenna holes and fenders without antenna holes, they just had fenders (without antenna hole).
If the car needed an antenna, they made the hole in the fender for it.

Hmmm, so the fender part# was the same for hole vs. non-hole fenders? I'd certainly think it would speed production to stock with hole, and just a handful without.   :alan2cents:

Tom

750-h2

Quote from: Burdar on February 08, 2017, 12:53:44 PM
The rear speaker option didn't require a special body modification.  Both speaker holes were punched in the package tray area no matter if the car had a radio or not.  The body shop didn't need to know that info so there was no reason to put it on the tag.

Thanks!   :toast:

anlauto

Quote from: Promo Pink on February 08, 2017, 09:53:35 AM
Incredible information ! Thanks for taking the time to do that and post it.

I have a question!!

Would all the codes appear on the fender tag?

@Promo Pink  I just restored a 1970 Challenger that had both the original fender tag and BCS. On the sheet is R35 and R31 but only R35 appears on the tag. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cataclysm80

Quote from: fc7cuda on February 08, 2017, 01:03:22 PM
Quote from: cataclysm80 on February 08, 2017, 10:48:52 AM
I think the assembly line didn't have fenders with antenna holes and fenders without antenna holes, they just had fenders (without antenna hole).
If the car needed an antenna, they made the hole in the fender for it.

Hmmm, so the fender part# was the same for hole vs. non-hole fenders? I'd certainly think it would speed production to stock with hole, and just a handful without.   :alan2cents:

The cars made at Hamtramck in 1970 were Barracuda, Challenger, Duster, & Valiant.

That's 6 different fenders stocked on the assembly line.
Barracuda / Gran Coupe / 'Cuda
Hemi 'Cuda
Challenger / SE / R/T
Hemi Challenger
T/A Challenger
Duster / Valiant

If they had also stocked additional fenders with antenna holes, they would have needed a total of 11 different fenders.  (T/A never had antenna in fender)

Typically on the assembly line, they would drill holes rather than stock a bunch of different parts.
For example, they did not stock passenger doors with mirror rivnuts and passenger doors without mirror rivnuts.  They just had doors, and used a jig to add the mirror mounting hardware in the proper spot IF the car needed it.
Similarly, The passenger side inner fender only had one version on the assembly line.  They didn't stock a separate version with holes for AC drier & water temp valve.
I believe the fenders followed this same pattern.
If an antenna was needed, the hole was made (probably with some type of punch rather than a drill).
If fender turn signal indicators were needed, those holes were drilled.
Holes for most of the different fender emblems would also be drilled.

There were different part numbers for Hemi Fenders, and also for 1971 'Cuda fenders due to the louver stamping.
(Hemi Fenders weren't available right away, not until around March if I remember right.  Prior to that, the cars were sent to Creative Industries for fender modification.)

Here's the fender part numbers out of the 70-71 parts manual.
It does not list separate part numbers for cars with an antenna.

cataclysm80

Quote from: cataclysm80 on January 18, 2017, 09:56:39 PM
I don't see it at the moment, but somewhere around here I have a note about the microphone cord for the cassette player being curly or not curly.  I think it has something to do with whether or not it's a factory installed microphone or an over the counter microphone.

Found my note: The factory installed microphone has a straight cord, while the over the counter microphone has a curly cord.

I went ahead and updated the info at the top to include this.

Here's a pic that I took of one of the over the counter type with the curly cord.

6bblgt

on the microphone, I believe it was more of an early/late running part change - there are NOS boxed straight cord microphones

1970-'71 HAMTRAMCK - late in the model year R31 started to show up on fender tags, this continued into the '71 model year & I believe it did eventually disappear before the end of the model year

cataclysm80

Neat, Thanks Dan! 
I'll think that over and adjust the info up top.

Hotiron

Great info.  I was trying to run down my 70 Cuda that has a R21 code I believe it has a 5.5 watt am fm radio but have not come upon the front and rear speaker layout.  If the old dash is original it has a single in the front.  Thanks for the great info again.
Hotiron.

Marksmopar1

Hi,
Reading through this and I see one other member (also in Canada) has the same as I do and it does not seem to reflect the options listed on the listing at the beginning of the posts.

My 70 Challenger R/T 440 is coded R11 only but has a 3 speaker dash, fade or crossover knob control and a rear speaker on the driver side with a rear defrost motor and venting. R11 is on the tag, R11 and R31 are checked on the build sheet. Whats with the three speaker dash....all tags and numbers match. Thoughts?