Main Menu

Engine Run Stand Designs

Started by ScottSmith_Harms, March 20, 2017, 07:49:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ScottSmith_Harms

Hi guys,

As you may know I am in the carburetor restoration business. Each carb is test run on a running mule engine before I return the finished job to the customer. My current test stand is a hodge podge of old junk and just isn't going to cut it any longer so time to upgrade.

I am seeking to construct a new one hopefully using a proven design in print form, or to buy one done or in kit form if it makes sense (I think Easy Run test stands look great but are cost prohibitive for me). I want something professional as it will be a long term permanent fixture in my new shop. I would like it to have provisions for a battery, radiator, control panel, etc. and be mobile and adjustable to Mopar small block, big block,or  Hemi without major modifications (I know, not asking much right!)

I appreciate your input!

scott

Cuda Cody

I've built a few stands now and the one thing I think I would do different next time to to make a combo run stand that can be adjusted to also be a K Member installation cart.  I've got a few ideas in my head on how best to make that work.

ScottSmith_Harms

That looks pretty sporty Cody! Is that Larry's Hemi?

I have a K-member stand from USCartool now and it does work great (However, I would like to see a re-design the portion that engages into the underside of the K-member). A combo of it and a run stand would be a cool option but for this run stand I will probably not need that option simply because the test engine will stay on it pretty much permanently unless I swap to a different engine etc. Maybe I need to plan for 2 stands instead of one :)

Cuda Cody

That is one of my Hemi's on my stand.  Not sure if I have a photo of Larry's Hemi.  :huh: 

I can get you more photos and measurements of the one I did.  Maybe that helps you come up with a design.  I just took an engine off of it so right now would be a good time to get close up photos. 

Quote from: ScottSmith_Harms on March 20, 2017, 09:39:46 PM
That looks pretty sporty Cody! Is that Larry's Hemi?

I have a K-member stand from USCartool now and it does work great (However, I would like to see a re-design the portion that engages into the underside of the K-member). A combo of it and a run stand would be a cool option but for this run stand I will probably not need that option simply because the test engine will stay on it pretty much permanently unless I swap to a different engine etc. Maybe I need to plan for 2 stands instead of one :)

soundcontrol

I borrowed this one from a friend, it was pretty small in size and easy to move around.

Cuda Cody

:clapping:  Very cool.  Sounded good!

Quote from: soundcontrol on March 21, 2017, 04:24:26 AM
I borrowed this one from a friend, it was pretty small in size and easy to move around.

HP_Cuda

(I think Easy Run test stands look great but are cost prohibitive for me)

Really? I think they are only like 2k to 2500 dollars. If you are going to use it over and over again I would think it would pay for itself.

Now going for Cody's idea might have merit but then you would have to build a rig that has attach points for a K-member. So basically it could be used for both a K-member stand and an engine run stand. Basically you would use it like a K-member stand until you want to fire it off and then drop in the piece which holds the radiator and controls and Voila!
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

ScottSmith_Harms

HP,

Well I should probably re state my initial comment. I can AFFORD an Easy Run, but so far I just don't see the added value between thier $2,500.00 price tagged design and other run stands for FAR less money. So my posting here is investigative, If someone can sell me on an Easy Run being that much better, maybe I'll go that way.

This Summit run stand is $499.00 and granted, lacking the frills of the Easy Run, but otherwise looks pretty decent for the money.  :dunno:

Cuda Cody

That would be hard to beat for $500.  I think I spend almost that on all my metal tubing and stuff. 

I'll go get some more photos of my stand for you.... stand by:

Cuda Cody

Mine is not going to win any awards for pretty, but it's built to hold any engine of any make or model and is very stout. 

Cuda Cody

I think I ended up with a 90's / 00's Ford radiator because it was cheap and had the same inlet / outlet hole and side location as Mopar.

ScottSmith_Harms

Cody, that design looks to be very well thought out and constructed. The Summit version looks pretty similar in several ways and it (or one similar to it in price range) may be a quick fix purchase. I always do a more extensive re-design towards a more versatile version, possibly one that incorporates a K member stand as you mentioned.

anlauto

I think Scott, you should just build a complete dyno room ! :stayinlane:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

This is my dream to own one of these!   :inlove:

anlauto

I don't think there's a lot of your dreams Cody that you haven't followed through on.....I'm sure it won't be long before you build one :worship:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration