Main Menu

Door Vin number Decal: Vertical or Horizontal?

Started by Topcat, April 27, 2017, 07:09:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Topcat

I've seen some door Vin decals being the majority placed horizontal.

Then I have seen some vertical.

It would be interesting to see if there was a pattern when the vertical one's were done the most.

L.A. vs. Hamtrack?
Months and years on cars built with the vertical.
Challenger vs. Barracuda

There had to be some pattern when it was done this way or why. 

Cuda Cody

I've wondered the same thing,  I've seen them both ways too.  I think the confusion is the engineering drawing specs it out to be vertical.  But it does makes sense for it to be that way because the numbers read horizontal.  So (this is only a guess) I'm thinking some workers said "screw it, I putting it on so it can be read".... and others might be thinking "I'm going to install it just like they told me to". 

I think this is the Factory Document on how to install it:

http://www.e-bodies.org/Resources/Engineering_Illustrations/Decal_VIN_Certification.pdf

71GranCoupe

Quote from: Cuda Cody on April 27, 2017, 07:28:27 PM
I've wondered the same thing,  I've seen them both ways too.  I think the confusion is the engineering drawing specs it out to be vertical.  But it does makes sense for it to be that way because the numbers read horizontal.  So (this is only a guess) I'm thinking some workers said "screw it, I putting it on so it can be read".... and others might be thinking "I'm going to install it just like they told me to". 

I think this is the Factory Document on how to install it:

http://www.e-bodies.org/Resources/Engineering_Illustrations/Decal_VIN_Certification.pdf

I seen the install from the link above and then had to look a few door tags I have saved, all the E/LA cars had them vertical and the Hamtramck had then horizontal.  :idea:  Would be interesting to see others that have a bunch saved to see how the placement compares to either "B" or "E" plants.  :dunno:

RUNCHARGER

My last two. Ones a B plant, Others an E, this matches what Gran Coupe said. These are both factory applied.
Sheldon

70/6chall

If this will help your search any, my very early LA built SL6 70 Challenger, SPD Aug. 18, '69 Monday, and a possible first day of production build of #113 off the assy. line. It is located in the vertical position on the door.

Cuda Cody

Seems like LA cars go one way and the Hamtramck cars go the other way.   :thinking:

Cuda Cody

More...

mopar jack

I know it's not an E-body but a 71 B-body from the LA plant and it's vertical.

erik70rt

I've never had one from Hamtramck that was vertical.  Has anyone seen a vertical one from there?
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

CamasCuda

picture before tear down, with many repaints it appears, in its travels.

6bblgt

I wonder if it's a space issue? 
1970 Hamtramck built A & E-bodies are they both horizontal?
1970 LA built A, B & E-bodies are they all vertical? is the B-body door jamb too narrow to place the decal horizontally?

Cuda Cody

I don't have very much experience with A or B bodies, but looking over more E-Bodies I've inspected and there does seems to be a pattern of LA = sideways, and Detroit (Hamtramck) = normal.

HP_Cuda

When I researched this before I applied my door vin from ECS, I found that it was plant specific as you guys are stating.

LA - Vertical
Hammy - Horizontal

I'm sure they may be one offs that do not follow this rule but it could be assembly line error or maybe someone(new owner) repainted and didn't know and just applied it any way they wanted. JMHO.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Blake@diyhemi.com

My Oct 69 built LA car has a vertical door sticker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

Topcat

Quote from: HP_Cuda on April 28, 2017, 10:37:13 AM
When I researched this before I applied my door vin from ECS, I found that it was plant specific as you guys are stating.

LA - Vertical
Hammy - Horizontal

Intentionally done?

Perhaps it was an easy way for dealerships to easily spot it's origin when it came in for repairs or PDI?