Main Menu

New Member Here, Seeking Advice on 70 Vert Barracuda Purchase

Started by indetrucks, August 11, 2021, 10:18:55 AM

Previous topic Next topic

indetrucks

Quote from: YYZ on August 12, 2021, 03:58:12 AM
Welcome to the board!

It would be a good idea to bring someone with you who knows E-bodies, and in particular, the trouble spots.  It shouldn't be too hard to find a local member of this forum and/or an appraiser that could join you when you fly in.

If the car checks out, I don't think that $60K is out of line, especially considering that basket case E-body convertibles needing full restoration are selling for almost half that. 

YMMV

Thank you for your thoughts and I agree, having a subject matter expert inspect the car is a great idea and I was fortunate to have Erik here on the ebody forum to volunteer!  We are shooting for Sunday.

Quote from: YYZ on August 12, 2021, 04:06:08 AM
Some other options:

https://www.cars-on-line.com/gen3-cars/col1/posting/102499

https://www.cars-on-line.com/gen3-cars/col1/posting/101867

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/plymouth/barracuda/2483702.html

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/plymouth/barracuda/2494487.html

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/plymouth/cuda/2508574.html

And a basket case for $40K   https://www.cars-on-line.com/gen3-cars/col1/posting/105783

Thanks for those, I am not partial to verts... in fact I would really like an AAR car but the one I found which was my max budget of $70k had a few things wrong (front rad support replaced, rallye dash installed along with incorrect 4spd installed).   Everything else was good (original TA block etc)   It sure was purty, but for $70k was hoping it was a little more original. 
I think this car was the best of what I've seen, mainly due to the matching numbers and orig. trans/engine.  Let's see what Erik reports back on Sunday!

YYZ

You'll be in good hands with Erik -- he's been in this hobby a long time and knows his E-bodies

By chance, was the AAR the blue on blue/white one from up here?

Btw - if you want to put a 4bbl or 6bbl setup on the convertible, it's about as easy as it gets with a big block Mopar.  There are no water passages in the intake manifold, so 8 bolts and some gaskets and you're in business.  Unlike small block Chevys, Mopars do not have the distributor passing through the intake manifold.

If you do go 6bbl you may need to modify the brackets for your A/C compressor.

Keep us posted!

erik70rt

Why thank you!!!  Hard to believe I've been wrenching on E-bodies for so long! :thankyou:
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

indetrucks

Quote from: YYZ on August 12, 2021, 07:24:47 AM
You'll be in good hands with Erik -- he's been in this hobby a long time and knows his E-bodies

By chance, was the AAR the blue on blue/white one from up here?

Btw - if you want to put a 4bbl or 6bbl setup on the convertible, it's about as easy as it gets with a big block Mopar.  There are no water passages in the intake manifold, so 8 bolts and some gaskets and you're in business.  Unlike small block Chevys, Mopars do not have the distributor passing through the intake manifold.

If you do go 6bbl you may need to modify the brackets for your A/C compressor.

No, it was a red one out in Colorado.   Beautiful car, but doesn't come with the original trans and like I said, at one point in its life was in a front end collision.

Which intake and 4b carb would you recommend?  Try to find a factory 4b intake and carb or go with the typical edelbrock/holly set up?   What would I expect in terms of HP gain... 30+ ?  To be honest, I may just leave it stock... im older now and the days of driving like a teenager a bit behind me.

Also, I assume the vert im looking at doesn't have sure grip.  What's best to remedy that, complete rear end or can I simply change out the internals?

erik70rt

I'll check to see if it has a sure grip.  I'd be surprised if they didn't put one in during the resto.  If not, it's pretty easy to do with a swap of the pumpkin.  Just make sure you remember to put in the spacer between the alxes or you will have too much play in them - esp on the right side. 

TA/Z06/GSXR1100

Something tells me your heart is yearning for a Transam car.

The sound (screech/wail) of a 340-6 operating at its max RPM threshold is pretty intoxicating. This holds true for both transmission types ! Only way to experience it ....is by owning one.   

Don't settle. : )

indetrucks

Quote from: TA/Z06/GSXR1100 on August 12, 2021, 09:45:54 AM
Something tells me your heart is yearning for a Transam car.

The sound (screech/wail) of a 340-6 operating at its max RPM threshold is pretty intoxicating. This holds true for both transmission types ! Only way to experience it ....is by owning one.   

Don't settle. : )

Certainly wouldn't be settling with a vert, I know how rare they are and NOTHING beats cruising PCH here in Southern CA in a vert!

Crocha617

Not a Barracuda but its a real RT Vert. I'll be listing this one soon as well. Has non matching 440 and painted a custom color but its a very nice car. Probably be asking around $60k as well.

erik70rt

anlauto

Quote from: erik70rt on August 14, 2021, 01:19:35 PM
Waiting for the car to arrive for the inspection

They're bringing it to you ? that's handy  :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Poolshark314

Welcome @indetrucks ! Good luck and hope it all pans out! I was wondering if you were going to take home that Rallye Red restomod the other day, but that seller seemed pretty out there
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

indetrucks

Quote from: Poolshark314 on August 14, 2021, 02:10:40 PM
Welcome @indetrucks ! Good luck and hope it all pans out! I was wondering if you were going to take home that Rallye Red restomod the other day, but that seller seemed pretty out there
Thanks!  Glad to be here, love learning new things from the SME's this forum has.

Are you talking about the car on BAT?   Yeah, I liked it... but not at $70k.  He just posted it on FB for $74,995 I think $50k is fair, regardless of what it was appraised at (appraisals are ALWAYS padded).  I knew they wanted more, seller was a dealer and they need to get their cut whether it was a flip, consignment etc.  That's always been a problem when buying from  dealers, you are paying well above market most of the time if buying from a dealer. 

I'm excited to hear what Erik finds out about this vert.  I'm very fortunate we crossed paths.

erik70rt

indetrucks

Quote from: erik70rt on August 15, 2021, 03:30:55 PM
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13mF35OFPVwujfLi0CA-ChNlwA5FIMYHu/view?usp=sharing

Video of the car I took yesterday.  Lighting wasn't the best where it was being kept.

Thanks for inspecting the car for me Erik, you are one of the few good ones left  :thankyou:

When you walked behind the car while it was running, it sounded almost like it had a funny "miss" or fluttering sound. Didn't sound like a typical healthy running muscle car from the back.  Am I just crazy or does it sound "off" to you as well?   

71vert340

To me, the exhaust sounded like it had a popping sound at the back almost like a crossfire or an intermittent miss. Hard to tell.
Terry W.