normal_post in WIW Thinking of selling my FC7 Plum Crazy 1971 R/T Challenger 4 speed in What's It Worth? Author Topic: WIW Thinking of selling my FC7 Plum Crazy 1971 R/T Challenger 4 speed  (Read 502 times)

Offline GrandpaKevin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Leaning Tower of Power
  • Credits: 980
    • Share Post
I'm thinking of selling my 1971 R/T Challenger.

The wife and I currently have 2 of them, between the 2 I would much rather keep this one as it is an original FC7 Plum Crazy 4 speed car but the wife's R/T is sentimental to her so....

This is a difficult car to value.
It a rare car with desirable color and options but the condition is in more a local car show/rat rod type.
It gets lot of attention every time I drive it.

1971 R/T Challenger
Original 383 4 speed car
FC7 Plum Crazy
June 1971 SPD
I have 2 build sheets for the car
Previous owner had Galen Govier decode the car and make a fender tag and window sticker
Vin sequence numbers match the title, dash VIN plate, radiator support, cowl area and door sticker.

Not a lot of options
manual steering 
manual drum brakes front and rear
no vinyl roof
non HD cooling car with 22" radiator
Does have the  original cloth insert seat interior with correct carpeted lower door panels

Original 383 was long gone before I got the car, currently has a nice running 1966 440 engine
Does have it's original #'s 23 spline 4 speed transmission

I installed an E-body width Dana 60 with 3.73 gear and Powr Lok diff.
I have an 8 3/4 E body rear end I could reinstall also
I would re-install the original R/T type hood

Paint is older with lots of fading and patina.
It has been touched up over the years and the paint tint on some areas don't match.
Body is very solid with a few dings and dents.
Some bubbles on the drivers quarters near the lip and in front of the rear tire.
Never had a vinyl roof so the areas around the windshield and rear window are excellent.

Engine compartment is excellent, I had it stripped and painted FC7 before I installed the engine.
Never any rust around hinge areas, battery tray area etc.
Floors are nice with mostly original paint.
There was a few pinholes around driver's floor, I had that pan professionally removed and a new pan installed and painted, it looks very nice.
Trunk is very solid with 1 dime size hole where the factory trunk hanger exhaust plate was mounted, easy fix.
Frame and crossmember look nice.
Underside has factory undercoating and is fairly clean.

Interior is complete and fairly original.
Dash pad has typical crack.
All gauges work except clock
4 speed console is decent
Original cloth seats are decent except driver's which is worn.

This car can be driven and enjoyed now but is a LONG way from perfect.
I've done a lot of mechanical things to it over the years, complete fuel system, rear suspension, etc. but there is always more to do.
I would suggest going through the brake as the drums are...well drum brakes.
If you wanted a perfect show stopper it would be an excellent candidate for a full restoration.

So give me you opinions folks.
I am in no hurry to sell the car and really enjoy driving it but it would be nice to have something else besides 2 of the same identical cars.
I made the mistake of driving a buddy's Hellcat and I've noticed the used ones are getting pretty affordable...

Linkback: https://forum.e-bodies.org/whats-it-worth/15/wiw-thinking-of-selling-my-fc7-plum-crazy-1971-rt-challenger-4-speed/3517/
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 03:15:08 PM by GrandpaKevin »

Offline GrandpaKevin

• Leaning Tower of Power
  • Credits: 980
    • Share Post
clip in WIW Thinking of selling my FC7 Plum Crazy 1971 R/T Challenger 4 speed in What's It Worth?
Re: WIW Thinking of selling my FC7 Plum Crazy 1971 R/T Challenger 4 speed
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 01:36:14 PM »
More

Offline Cuda Cody

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Mighty 426 Hemi
  • index in WIW Thinking of selling my FC7 Plum Crazy 1971 R/T Challenger 4 speed in What's It Worth?
  • Credits: 5900
    • Share Post
xx in WIW Thinking of selling my FC7 Plum Crazy 1971 R/T Challenger 4 speed in What's It Worth?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 03:52:34 PM »
I'll be honest, I do not know the prices of 383's that well even though I own one.  It's a real RT, Real cool color and it's got a great look.  I'm just throwing a guess out there.  Is $25k to $30k in the ballpark?   :notsure:

E-Bodies Cuda Challenger Message Forum

xx in WIW Thinking of selling my FC7 Plum Crazy 1971 R/T Challenger 4 speed in What's It Worth?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 03:52:34 PM »

Offline Roadman

• Six Pack
  • index in WIW Thinking of selling my FC7 Plum Crazy 1971 R/T Challenger 4 speed in What's It Worth?
  • Credits: 2510
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 05:09:10 PM »
I'll be honest, I do not know the prices of 383's that well even though I own one.  It's a real RT, Real cool color and it's got a great look.  I'm just throwing a guess out there.  Is $25k to $30k in the ballpark?   :notsure:

:iagree:   Maybe start asking around $38K, after all its a 4 speed, Dana 60, great color .  :alan2cents:   :rebelflag"

Offline anlauto

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Six Pack
  • Credits: 9540
  • Life is like a box of chocolates....
    • Share Post
    • www_sm in WIW Thinking of selling my FC7 Plum Crazy 1971 R/T Challenger 4 speed in What's It Worth?
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 07:36:45 PM »

Wow, Cody and I need to be on the same baseball team.....I was going to suggest the exact same ballpark. :clapping:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Offline 82firebird

• Leaning Tower of Power
  • Credits: 180
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 05:45:16 PM »
I can't believe how local we are and we still have not crossed paths! So hard to value a car like this without seeing it in person, bring it over and I'll tell you what I think!  :yes:

E-Bodies Cuda Challenger Message Forum

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 05:45:16 PM »

Tags:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter Share via whatsapp

clip
70 Challenger going Plum Crazy

Started by Dakota

24 Replies
Last post November 06, 2017, 05:08:27 PM
by RUNCHARGER
xx
Plum Crazy - Then and Now

Started by 303 Mopar

28 Replies
Last post October 24, 2017, 02:05:30 PM
by Archialfa