Main Menu

WIW Thinking of selling my FC7 Plum Crazy 1971 R/T Challenger 4 speed

Started by GrandpaKevin, September 09, 2017, 01:16:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GrandpaKevin

I'm thinking of selling my 1971 R/T Challenger.

The wife and I currently have 2 of them, between the 2 I would much rather keep this one as it is an original FC7 Plum Crazy 4 speed car but the wife's R/T is sentimental to her so....

This is a difficult car to value.
It a rare car with desirable color and options but the condition is in more a local car show/rat rod type.
It gets lot of attention every time I drive it.

1971 R/T Challenger
Original 383 4 speed car
FC7 Plum Crazy
June 1971 SPD
I have 2 build sheets for the car
Previous owner had Galen Govier decode the car and make a fender tag and window sticker
Vin sequence numbers match the title, dash VIN plate, radiator support, cowl area and door sticker.

Not a lot of options
manual steering 
manual drum brakes front and rear
no vinyl roof
non HD cooling car with 22" radiator
Does have the  original cloth insert seat interior with correct carpeted lower door panels

Original 383 was long gone before I got the car, currently has a nice running 1966 440 engine
Does have it's original #'s 23 spline 4 speed transmission

I installed an E-body width Dana 60 with 3.73 gear and Powr Lok diff.
I have an 8 3/4 E body rear end I could reinstall also
I would re-install the original R/T type hood

Paint is older with lots of fading and patina.
It has been touched up over the years and the paint tint on some areas don't match.
Body is very solid with a few dings and dents.
Some bubbles on the drivers quarters near the lip and in front of the rear tire.
Never had a vinyl roof so the areas around the windshield and rear window are excellent.

Engine compartment is excellent, I had it stripped and painted FC7 before I installed the engine.
Never any rust around hinge areas, battery tray area etc.
Floors are nice with mostly original paint.
There was a few pinholes around driver's floor, I had that pan professionally removed and a new pan installed and painted, it looks very nice.
Trunk is very solid with 1 dime size hole where the factory trunk hanger exhaust plate was mounted, easy fix.
Frame and crossmember look nice.
Underside has factory undercoating and is fairly clean.

Interior is complete and fairly original.
Dash pad has typical crack.
All gauges work except clock
4 speed console is decent
Original cloth seats are decent except driver's which is worn.

This car can be driven and enjoyed now but is a LONG way from perfect.
I've done a lot of mechanical things to it over the years, complete fuel system, rear suspension, etc. but there is always more to do.
I would suggest going through the brake as the drums are...well drum brakes.
If you wanted a perfect show stopper it would be an excellent candidate for a full restoration.

So give me you opinions folks.
I am in no hurry to sell the car and really enjoy driving it but it would be nice to have something else besides 2 of the same identical cars.
I made the mistake of driving a buddy's Hellcat and I've noticed the used ones are getting pretty affordable...

GrandpaKevin

Cuda Cody

I'll be honest, I do not know the prices of 383's that well even though I own one.  It's a real RT, Real cool color and it's got a great look.  I'm just throwing a guess out there.  Is $25k to $30k in the ballpark?   :notsure:

Roadman

Quote from: Cuda Cody on September 09, 2017, 03:52:34 PM
I'll be honest, I do not know the prices of 383's that well even though I own one.  It's a real RT, Real cool color and it's got a great look.  I'm just throwing a guess out there.  Is $25k to $30k in the ballpark?   :notsure:

:iagree:   Maybe start asking around $38K, after all its a 4 speed, Dana 60, great color .  :alan2cents:   :rebelflag"

anlauto

Quote from: Cuda Cody on September 09, 2017, 03:52:34 PM

Wow, Cody and I need to be on the same baseball team.....I was going to suggest the exact same ballpark. :clapping:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

82firebird

I can't believe how local we are and we still have not crossed paths! So hard to value a car like this without seeing it in person, bring it over and I'll tell you what I think!  :yes:

betisdale

gumby

I can't wrap around my tiny brain, why ANYBODY would by some POS brand new car that cost's TWICE what you are going to be asking/getting
for this beauty.

Keep in mind, if you have sellers regrets, that you will NEVER - EVER get another one this nice, and would likely pay more, to even TRY and
replace it. Or spend 3 times what ever you get from selling it to try and restore another one.

$20,000 - $30,000 is crap money for crap cars these days, and will depreciate and be worth nothing in 2 - 3 - 4 years. New pickups are $50,000.00  - $70,000.00 plus.

Your beauty car will never depreciate. My advice, however humble, is DO NOT SELL, unless it is going to a MOPAR person that will respect and cherish it. And DRIVE it!

Of course it gets lot's of attention. That's what it was built for. People will walk by 1000 other cars just to look at a Challenger. They will stop and stare.
Every chevy guy is feeling envious. Every ford guy, feeling inadequite. They might not admit it, but you know it's true. It's the nature of the beast.

Challengers are all attention whores. They put every other car to shame out there, when you are cruising around, and you know it.

Don't pretend that you don't.

Drive 100 cars past people, and ask them what they just saw. They will say a PURPLE CHALLENGER, first. Life is good.

71vert340

Interesting analogy. I'm not sure I'd call a Hellcat a POS. As far as depreciation. My 71 Challenger Shaker Convertible was over $4k when bought new. When I bought it in June 1972, I paid $1950. That was over a 50% depreciation in 18 months.  My 2015 Challenger Shaker R/T is a nice car to drive, much more comfortable, turns heads, although not as many as my 71 does and has lots of get up and go. It gets me 27 mpg on trips and is reliable. The disadvantage is I cannot work on it. Just my 2 cents.
Terry

HP2

Quote from: gumby on May 31, 2018, 05:51:28 PM
Drive 100 cars past people, and ask them what they just saw. They will say a PURPLE CHALLENGER, first. Life is good.

Nah, they'll say they saw a purple General Lee, and wonder where the 01 went.

RUNCHARGER

I have to admit the new stuff is good and great to drive everyday. However in that photo of the two Challengers I can't take my eyes off the 71.
Sheldon

303 Mopar

They put every other car to shame out there, when you are cruising around, and you know it.

Except 'Cuda's..... :pokeeye: :Stirring:

7212Mopar

I think I remember you from CC and believe you have a 73 also since high school. Why not put a HC Supercharged HEMI in the 71. No need to buy a new car and will be different from what your wife has. I think someone on the forum is building one now. My vote is on the first gen car. It is timeless.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Crocha617

I can't wrap around my tiny brain, why ANYBODY would by some POS brand new car that cost's TWICE what you are going to be asking/getting
for this beauty.

Keep in mind, if you have sellers regrets, that you will NEVER - EVER get another one this nice, and would likely pay more, to even TRY and
replace it. Or spend 3 times what ever you get from selling it to try and restore another one.

$20,000 - $30,000 is crap money for crap cars these days, and will depreciate and be worth nothing in 2 - 3 - 4 years. New pickups are $50,000.00  - $70,000.00 plus.

Your beauty car will never depreciate. My advice, however humble, is DO NOT SELL, unless it is going to a MOPAR person that will respect and cherish it. And DRIVE it!

Of course it gets lot's of attention. That's what it was built for. People will walk by 1000 other cars just to look at a Challenger. They will stop and stare.
Every chevy guy is feeling envious. Every ford guy, feeling inadequite. They might not admit it, but you know it's true. It's the nature of the beast.

Challengers are all attention whores. They put every other car to shame out there, when you are cruising around, and you know it.

Don't pretend that you don't.

He has had 2 identical Purple 71 Challengers forever .... I say sell one and get something different that you will enjoy. I'm sure his wife will let him drive hers.... Buy the Hell Cat or a Cuda or something else...

GrandpaKevin

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm down in Tennessee for a wedding with limited time and computer access.

Yes we have 2 almost identical 1971 R/T Challengers.
Between the 2 I would much rather keep this original FC7 big block 4 speed car especially with the cool original cloth insert seats.
The wife's R/T was done by her later father and is sentimental to her as she picked the color when it was painted back in the 80's.
Her car is in better condition.
I do also have a street/strip 1973 Challenger that was my first car boght back when I was 15 so we have a total of 3 Challengers, which is a little much.

Between the Challengers, daily drivers, and a bunch of other toys my garages are completely full.

I would love to have an original 1968 R/T Charger and/or a late model Challenger Scat Pack or Hellcat but something would have to go.
I'm in no hurry the sell this R/T Challenger as I really enjoy driving it, especially in it's unrestored rat rod type condition. Actually it is torn apart in the garage waiting for me the finish the front disc brake conversion and total brake system overhaul.