Main Menu

bergeson steering box

Started by 74challenger, December 19, 2021, 12:50:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

74challenger

Those of you that use the bergeson steering box did you keep the stock manual steering/pitman arms or swap to the quick ratio?

Priesty

I just used all the standard gear & swapped in the box, with a Bergman coupling on the steering shaft (saves having to cut the original). Works well, has a faster ratio than standard anyway.
Cheers....
Steve.
72 BS23 E55 'Cuda, Lemon twist.
Seaworks HDR by steve, on Flickr

74challenger

And your happy with justbthe box for quicker steering? No need for the t/a stuff you think.

7212Mopar

I am running mine with standard Moog replacement Pitman arm and idler arm. Faster than stock but not as fast as modern cars. It is much better than stock plus less weight. I read from others that adding the fast ratio arms may make the steering too sensitive like going down the freeway. Also interference issue with headers. Call Peter at Bergman Autocraft who can explain better or recommend. Also will not help the turning radius.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Katfish

I'll go against the grain and say, save your money.
I switched from a police box to the Bergeson and don't feel much difference.
I guess for $900 I expected a big difference.
Sure it saves some weight, but do you really need that?
And there's the issue of the steering column shaft alignment, I shimmed mine, but it's still off a little.
Box is louder too..................

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2686096/installing-the-borgeson-bergman-kit-with-pics.html

Priesty

Yep works fine for me. Best mod I've done to improve driveability.
Cheers....
Steve.
72 BS23 E55 'Cuda, Lemon twist.
Seaworks HDR by steve, on Flickr

Manuel

Yep works fine for me. Best mod I've done to improve driveability.
[/quote]

Did you have plain manual steering before?

Besides what the parts included on the Borgeson Kit, did you have to purchase anything else?

I am contemplating to put that kit on a 1971 340 Cuda.

Any heads up's will be appreciated.

74challenger

thanks guys i eneded up using the borg box and the standard replacement moog pitman and idler. now i have to wait for the pitman arm in finish the install.

7212Mopar

The pitman arm nut that comes with the box is made out softer steel. Use the stock nut if it is in good shape. The steel is much harder. I had to file the spline cuts into the pitman arm to better fit the spline of the box shaft. Do not use the nut to force down or you damage the thread. It should be a tight fit and pitman arm push into the shaft without too much force. If you put a lot of force and arm won't move then it is too tight. Google and there should be threads on finished engagement depth and torque value and how to line up the splines.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Cratos

anybody used this on a 1970 challenger with factory air?? if so did you run into any problems'?