Main Menu

Bolting Steering column to Firewall

Started by tparker, April 19, 2018, 07:16:55 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

Hi All,
I'm putting the steering column back in but I'm not liking how it is working out. The steering column flange has 3 large holes where it gets screwed into the firewall. The three screws have large washers attached that are just slightly larger than the holes, but they don't seem to secure it very well. The plate shifts a bit and makes me wonder if I grabbed the wrong bolts. And help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tom

dodj

Move the plate until the bolt washers line up with the holes, then tighten them up.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

GoodysGotaCuda

I would set it so that the joint at the steering column is as straight as possible, then tighten it. The holes in the flange and the washers are that big to accommodate the variation there.

Otherwise you will likely just burn through the lower column bushing pretty quickly.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
The large holes allow you to center the steering shaft in the middle of the column housing then tighten the bolts down , you should have a gasket in there & the plate should not move once you have the bolts tight

tparker

Awesome. Thanks all. Glad I wasn't all screwed up. LOL