Main Menu

Header and idler arm clearance

Started by usraptor, November 21, 2017, 06:08:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

Quote from: usraptor on November 24, 2017, 11:41:11 AM
Thanks Chyrco and Brad.  Brad re  picture one, is it showing that the distances between L1, L2 and R1 and R2 to the floor are the same or is there some exact measurement that does with them?  If there is an exact measurement, I would think things like ride height, tire size, etc. could effect that measurement.

Re photo no. 3, I can tell for sure, but the part they are saying to shim, is that the steering box?  :notsure:

thanks again.

No I would agree with you tire size, torsion bar settings etc.... will determine heights just as long as they are equal is optimal . I would try a 1/8" shim in the transmission, I bet that would do it for you as your not hitting by much ?
Yes the part to shim is the steering box. ( if necessary)

usraptor

No I would agree with you tire size, torsion bar settings etc.... will determine heights just as long as they are equal is optimal . I would try a 1/8" shim in the transmission, I bet that would do it for you as your not hitting by much ?
Yes the part to shim is the steering box. ( if necessary)
[/quote]

Brad I have a question regarding shimming the transmission. First, where do you put the shims?  Between the yellow trans mount and the 4-speed housing where the two bolts attach the bracket to the trans?
Please see picture where I circled the bolts in question

Thanks

1 Wild R/T

Shimming at the trans isn't going to do it without causing bigger issues.... You need maybe 1/8" at the header but the contact point of the header is probably 1/4 to 1/5th of the way from the motor mounts vs 3/4-4/5 of the way from the trans mount so to get 1/8" change at the contact will require raising the trans 3/8" to 1/2"....

And yes if your shimming the trans the shims go between the pad on the trans & the mount

HP2

Quote from: usraptor on November 24, 2017, 11:41:11 AM
Thanks Chyrco and Brad.  Brad re  picture one, is it showing that the distances between L1, L2 and R1 and R2 to the floor are the same or is there some exact measurement that does with them?  If there is an exact measurement, I would think things like ride height, tire size, etc. could effect that measurement.

Re photo no. 3, I can tell for sure, but the part they are saying to shim, is that the steering box?  :notsure:

thanks again.

Correct, there is no spec on these measurements because of the variations in tire diameters and ride heights. This is also why factory ride height spec are NOT measure at the fender lip  like so many people like to do. Simply put, R1 and L1 should match and R2 and L2 should match. In my experience, it is rare that these are all correct out of the factory.

Find these measurements, and we can direct you from that point.

Brads70

Brad I have a question regarding shimming the transmission. First, where do you put the shims?  Between the yellow trans mount and the 4-speed housing where the two bolts attach the bracket to the trans?
Please see picture where I circled the bolts in question

Thanks
[/quote]

Yes you circled the right spot/bolts. A quick way to try is to put a jack under the transmission and jack it up 1/8" and see if it helps at the header. The mount should move 1/8" no problem. Unbolt it if your worried about damaging the mount.  I wouldn't go more than an 1/8" or so as it will cause other issues as 1 WildR/T mentioned.

That must not be your actual car in the picture as that mount doesn't look new to me. If you still have the old mount maybe measure and see if there is a difference in height from the old one to the new one. Quality parts are not what they used to be...... You can't rule out or trust anything these days in that regard!

usraptor

Just a thought and thinking out loud.  Will it make any difference in the clearance if the car is on a lift or on the ground?  :notsure: (The posted pictures were taken with the car on the lift)  While on the the lift, the tires/wheels, A-arms hang down.  When on the ground the weight  of the car is going to push them up and the angle of the tie rods is going to change and in theory would increase the clearance between the idler arm and header.  However, the the idler arm is attached to the centerlink which is also attached to the steering box and both are bolted to the K-frame.  Therefore, the movement/articulation of the A-arms etc probably would not increase the clearance between the idler arm and header since the center link is bolted to the K-frame via the steering box and idler arm and therefore wouldn't move with the articulation of the A-arms.   

So I think I've answered my own question and being on the lift or on the ground is not going to make a difference in the clearance of the idler arm and header, correct?  :thinking: :dunno:

Chryco Psycho