Main Menu

Key won't come out of ignition

Started by jlemler, April 28, 2018, 09:13:50 AM

Previous topic Next topic

jlemler

So I back my 70 Cuda out of the garage.  Shut it off; however, the key will not turn all the way back.  The car ignition works for some reason it won't go all the way back so I can get the key out.  Any thoughts?

HEMICUDA

I would guess you don't have your column lock out linkage hooked up? Turn the arm on the end of the column tube in the engine compartment, key should come out.

anlauto

While sitting in the car....reach down the column to the third section closest to the dash...turn it until it's lined up, then the key should come out.

IF YOU DO HAVE THE CORRECT LOCK-OUT LINKAGE in place, and the car is in park (auto) or reverse (4spd) then you might need to adjust that linkage to get the column lined up. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

jlemler

It worked fine until it didn't.

As always thanks for the help,
Jeff

Chryco Psycho

RUNCHARGER

Back in the day this was the result of installing headers.
Sheldon

jlemler

Anlauto was correct.  Who would have thunk?  Thanks so much.  What does moving that piece actually do and why would they make it that way?

Chryco Psycho

the linkage was connected to the trans so the key could not be removed unless it was in park with auto trans or Reverse with 4 spd
in 71 up they used a spring in the column so the collar could be rotated before the key was removed