Main Menu

what ignition to use?

Started by truckinman466, April 29, 2017, 06:16:40 AM

Previous topic Next topic

truckinman466

Hi all, I'm not very well versed when it comes to the electrical system. I have a 73 challenger that I'm putting a 440-6 pack in. Question is, What ignition system to use? Need everything from dist. out.
The engine is just a mild build and the car will be used for the highway mostly. Any advice will be appreciated.   Ron

blown motor

I like the Rev-N-Nator ECU. It has the stock look with rev limiter protection. I'm not well versed on distributers but I'm not a fan of MSD. To me the are just plain obnoxious looking, but that's just me.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

I bought the MSD 6AL and MSD distributor , then decided to install the Revnator with Accel distributor and that has worked fine on mild 440.
It seemed like less complicated install and less to go wrong to try to replace on the side of the road.
Looks closer to stock if thats a concern

I see you're in Cypress, I am in Conroe.
If you want to try out the MSD 6AL and MSD distributor , never installed, let me know.
Only thing wrong is the distributor wire hold down retainer is broke, like that when shipped to me.
Bought it about two years ago.

HP2

Back in my racing days, I ran a stock system with a chrome box and Jacobs coil, a complete MSD, and a Crane system at different times trying to find the magic bullet. There was no appreciable difference in e.t. or m.p.h. between the three systems.

I'd suggest going with whatever style fits your visual asthetic desire or budget. Any modern system is going to produce decent results for a cruiser. You will want to ensure ease of install and  maintenance.

Topcat

Really happy with my FBO set up.
They even pre curve your distributor to your engine set up.

http://www.4secondsflat.com/

Chryco Psycho

I just use the Stock electronic dist but with the adjustable mechanical advance [Mancini has these] & an ECU such as the Revnator  as it has a built in rev limiter & if there is a failure on the road all stock parts will fit .
KISS = keep it simple silly
I built one car with a MSD system ,customer demanded it , it broke down 250 miles away from home , no replacable parts , want to guess what the tow bill  was ??  :bricks:

Topcat

Same all is true with the FBO set up as well.

3 year parts warranty as well.

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 29, 2017, 10:08:33 AM
I just use the Stock electronic dist but with the adjustable mechanical advance [Mancini has these] & an ECU such as the Revnator  as it has a builtin rev limiter & if there is a failure o the road all stock parts will fit .
KISS = keep it simple silly

truckinman466

what would you want for the msd stuff?

cataclysm80

I have an MSD setup hidden under my battery tray (since 2005).  I like it.  No problems really.  I think I've changed the distributor cap twice because it was getting some carbon trails inside it.    If you have a rallye dash, the factory tachometer doesn't function with the MSD.  You'll need to update the internals of your tach, or get an MSD tach adapter.  If you get the tach adapter, don't install it in the passenger compartment because it makes a constant buzzing sound.

I'm about to install a Pertronix setup in a 1970 car. 

The Rev N nator box looks pretty neat.  That's probably what I'd try if I was building a car like yours.

Truckinman466, if you want to try the MSD items first that I have to see if you like the setup and how it works , we can do that before buying.
They are just sitting in the parts room not doing their job.

RUNCHARGER

For what you are doing the MSD is a really expensive setup that is not needed IMO. A stock based ECU setup is all you need, the trick these days is getting a quality ECU that won't let you down. I always carry a spare ECU and ballast in the glovebox anyway. Mopar chrome box is what I used on my 472 and 528 Hemis.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

That was why I decided to use the Rev N Ator myself.