Main Menu

Brake bleeding

Started by dodj, April 25, 2020, 06:33:05 AM

Previous topic Next topic

dodj

Last time I did it was with my wife in the driver's seat and me at the caliper. Any recommendations on tools to make this a one person job?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

headejm

Why are you bleeding the brakes? Completely empty system or just trying to correct a soft pedal?

Completely empty: bleed the MC, then gravity feed the wheels, finish it off with a helper on the brake pedal. Start at the rear passenger wheel, then rear driver's, front passenger, then front driver's. The tools shown above are helpful on a new, empty system but not sure they are required. Don't let the MC get empty as you fill the lines or you will have a problem with air in the system. I started with 2 quarts of fluid for an empty system and used all of one quart and part of the other.

For a soft pedal: Make sure there are no leaks in the system. Bleed back to front (as above) with a helper on the brake pedal.

Rich G.

I use this on an empty system. . 2 person bleeding is quick and easy, as long as they don't lift up while the bleeder is open.

Katfish

What's the method for gravity bleed?
Open bleeder, then let it sit?  How long ?

JS29

Until the fluid trickles out with no bubbles.    :alan2cents:

1 Wild R/T

Empty system, I've done it many ways, the best is with an oil squirt can...

https://www.staples.com/Goldenrod-Steel-Pistol-Pump-Oiler-5-in-L-Rigid-Straight-6-oz/product_854283?cid=PS:GooglePLAs:854283&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=854283&KPID=854283&gclid=CjwKCAjwv4_1BRAhEiwAtMDLslhqBhqRTIvWGmX5pSMs14MgIthl6MzoAQ3VjImUSt5HVnPlomq1BxoCZ4UQAvD_BwE

Don't bleed the master, don't even put fluid in the master....  First take the oil squirt can apart & clean any oil out... Next fill it with brake fluid & use a short rubber hose to connect it to the bleeder screws one at a time..

RR first for about ten to fifteen pumps, then move to the LR & pump the squirt can nearly dry... The front reservoir should have a decent amount of fluid at that point... 

Next the front system, same procedure accept when you do the RF you need to pump more fluid since the system is designed with more fluid capacity back to the metering block...  Probably twenty pumps, to be safe wait until you first see fluid in the bottom of the rear reservoir of the M/C, then go to the LF & repeat....  After to get clear fluid with no bubbles to the rear reservoir you can top it off like normal...

Next since the clippers are retracted you need to seat the front pads by using short pumps of the brake pedal, usually 4-5 strokes will do it...

At this point you should have a good solid pedal.... The advantage to bleeding this way is instead of trying to push air bubbles down the lines & out the wheels you pushed the bubbles up the line (the direction they want to flow naturally) & out the M/C...

headejm

Learned something new today. I've bled a lot of systems but have never heard of that method. I'm definitely going to try it next time.  :ohyeah:

dodj

Quote from: headejm on April 25, 2020, 11:05:38 AM
Why are you bleeding the brakes? Completely empty system or just trying to correct a soft pedal?
Niether actually, I'm going to be removing the prop valve.
1 Wild RT, your method would still work in this situation i think. I would just have to remove fluid from mc as I went along?

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

dodj

Quote from: headejm on April 25, 2020, 05:23:46 PM
Learned something new today. I've bled a lot of systems but have never heard of that method. I'm definitely going to try it next time.  :ohyeah:
:iagree:

Scooter

I use Russell power bleeders, they have an integrated check valve for 1 way flow.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-639540

Make sure to get the correct part for your application. Once installed you can bleed all 4 corners solo in minutes.

soundcontrol

Quote from: headejm on April 25, 2020, 05:23:46 PM

Same here, thats what I'm gonna try next time!

JS29

Fascinating!! That dose make scents.  :slapme5:

Shoooter

My wife wishes I seen that way before I made her help me

GoodysGotaCuda

I've had problems with the vacuum style pulling air past the bleeder threads on my Wilwood calipers.

It makes you feel like you are pulling through lots of air, but it's just air getting in right there at the bleeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs