Main Menu

Rear Sway Bar Opinions

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, May 03, 2020, 09:18:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Scooter

^^ I'm right there with ya. I'm going to wait it out. I have a rear sway bar I'll likely install at the same time.. possibly a new set of shocks too.

70 Challenger Lover

I ordered the set of Hotchkis sway bars at the same time and they came within days so I don't get it.

FSHTAIL

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on June 29, 2020, 05:34:20 PM
I ordered the set of Hotchkis sway bars at the same time and they came within days so I don't get it.

Where did you order them from?
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

70 Challenger Lover

Jegs had the best price at the time. They were to be drop shipped from Hotchkis. Jegs is a whole different conversation. Their customer service is horrible and every call means 30+ minutes on hold. I learned my lesson with them.

Scooter

Maybe some good news... mine arrived today! Did not even hear them hit the patio... opened the front door and they were leaning against the house.  :veryexcited:

70 Challenger Lover

I got mine on Saturday! They are nice.

FSHTAIL

Damn...   

Mine are said to hit by the end of the month, but I bought the complete front/rear kit and the offset bolts for the end links for use of relocated leaf springs..

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on July 06, 2020, 06:25:08 PM
I got mine on Saturday! They are nice.

70 Challenger Lover

I honestly didn't object to waiting. What bothered me was the lack of communication with Jegs. And calling Jegs is a nightmare. I don't think I'd ever buy from them again unless their price was ridiculously good. 

FSHTAIL

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on July 08, 2020, 05:56:51 PM
I honestly didn't object to waiting. What bothered me was the lack of communication with Jegs. And calling Jegs is a nightmare. I don't think I'd ever buy from them again unless their price was ridiculously good.

I bought mine from sportcompactwarehouse.com     
cheapest I found it and I had a 3% off code, they don't ding you on shipping or tax..   

I just got my car back on the wheels last weekend, I'm not in a hurry either.. 

Scooter

Alrighty... so I installed the Hotchicks leafs last night. Total install probably 4.5 hours... not too bad working alone. Earned a black thumb for my efforts.

End result is the rear is lower about 1 inch, was 24 inches from ground to fender lip... now it's 23 inches. So the 1 inch drop is exactly as advertised.

Left front and rear hangar bolts snug and attempted a test drive last night... passenger side tire now rubs fender. I'll need to get that sorted quickly as it's pretty much rendered the car not drive-able.

A few photos:

New ride height and clearance issues.

Old vs. New

Mrbill426

WTH  :huh:
Are they the correct springs for the car; or one is not backwards??

Quote from: Scooter on July 22, 2020, 09:57:15 AM
Alrighty... so I installed the Hotchicks leafs last night. Total install probably 4.5 hours... not too bad working alone. Earned a black thumb for my efforts.

End result is the rear is lower about 1 inch, was 24 inches from ground to fender lip... now it's 23 inches. So the 1 inch drop is exactly as advertised.

Left front and rear hangar bolts snug and attempted a test drive last night... passenger side tire now rubs fender. I'll need to get that sorted quickly as it's pretty much rendered the car not drive-able.

A few photos:

New ride height and clearance issues.

Old vs. New

70 Challenger Lover

I haven't put my Hotchkis springs in yet as I'm still finishing up the quarters. Maybe I should stop though and test fit them. The photos make it seem like the whole axle is no longer centered in the wheel well opening. Is that what's going on or just a weird camera angle make it seem that way?

I have wondered if I will be happy with the height but my thought on that is I could always use the other hangers to bring it up a little. Unless they are a different spring width. I'll have to check that.

Scooter

They are the correct kit... backwards? I've made some mistakes before but these only go on one way... lol.

autoxcuda

Quote from: Scooter on July 22, 2020, 12:58:34 PM
They are the correct kit... backwards? I've made some mistakes before but these only go on one way... lol.

Did the whole rear end move back from where it was before. Is you transmission slip yoke pulled back from where it was before.

Also with the hotchkis drop front hanger you need to recheck pinion angle. Really with about any spring change.

When I did my A-body Barracuda, I need to add a wedges to adjust pinion angle with stock front hangers. With the dropped hangers, I would have needed to add a lot. Now that was an Abody. But still, you need to check that.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

Mrbill426

Ok.  Something is way off (duh).  Might be the angle of the shot but the old and new springs look to be different lengths.  The way the shot of the car looks it appears the the shackle is not installed.  How is the wheel base compared left to right?

Quote from: Scooter on July 22, 2020, 12:58:34 PM