Main Menu

Shocks with shaft covers advisable ?

Started by Racer57, August 03, 2020, 07:11:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

Looking at shocks for my Cuda. Have a chance to get some rear QA1 TS 901 for a good price. But the shafts are exposed.  I have also seen Bilstein and others with covers on rear, but not front.  I don't drive my car in rain, but I do average about 3,000 miles a year.  Are covered shafts recommended ?

Scooter

Quote from: Racer57 on August 03, 2020, 07:11:32 PM
Looking at shocks for my Cuda. Have a chance to get some rear QA1 TS 901 for a good price. But the shafts are exposed.  I have also seen Bilstein and others with covers on rear, but not front.  I don't drive my car in rain, but I do average about 3,000 miles a year.  Are covered shafts recommended ?

Those QA1's have been out some years, I've heard no complaints about the exposed shaft. Exposed portion goes up top to boot, ordered a set myself should arrive tomorrow. 

-scoot

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:, it dirty driving situations covered helps but even when they have a shield the shaft is really exposed , not hard to get rubber covers if you want them covered  :bigthumb:

Brads70

I've had QA1 double adjustable s on my car now for 8 years I think? With no issues.

dodj

Don't think the covers matter at all. Maybe if you're doing some muddin'
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

MoparLeo

Think about that for a minute. Where does the shaft go ? It goes through a "seal" . Just like an overhead valve does when it opens and closes. What eventually happens to the "seals" ? They wear and then oil leaks by.  If the shaft gets damaged, has a buildup of any material be it dirt, mud, road tar, debris etc... as the shaft goes through the seal it get worn/damaged. This is exactly what the shields are for. The shocks application would have a great effect on the need for a shield. Naturally an off road/dirt/mud type vehicle could use the shield to protect the shock parts. They are generally very expensive parts as well. A track car, oval, 1/4, 1/8 th mile etc... is on a closed course that is kept free of road/track debris and would have little to no benefit in a shield. Shields are inexpensive are just a form of insurance to protect your investment in your shocks. If money doesn't matter to you, don't worry about it. What is the worst thing that can happen by putting a shield on them ? You spent/invested a little money.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Scooter

I think of them like motorcycle fork seals. Most street bikes and some dirt bikes don't have anything other than a rubber boot just above the fork seal itself. The working area of the forks are exposed to weather and whatever comes off the road all the time. Does not seem to be an issue in that application. But if a cheap set of covers is your preference... tossem on there. Not seeing a downside. FWIW I'm installing mine as delivered this weekend.   :alan2cents:

Racer57

I have a full set of Bilsteins due to arrive in a couple days. Rear has covers, but fronts don't. I'll probably leave them that way. Rear, I would have an issue with, but I guess fronts should be ok.

Scooter

So I tried to install the new rears today.... they won't fit on past the front cup washer... odd.

Did a quick Google search and I'm not finding anything. Seems odd more people would not have encountered this

Chryco Psycho

Scooter

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 07, 2020, 10:29:11 PM
Trim the cup washer  :alan2cents:

That's the plan. the shocks have been out some time.. surprised I was not able to find another post about the cup washer being a tad too big.

Racer57

Received my Bilsteins today. The cover on rear shock is plastic/rubber. Really makes no difference, but from the pics it looks like the standard metal covers. As soon as it rains and I'm not busy, I'll be putting them on.  :wrenching:

Scooter

Trimmed the cup washer and installed.

Should have replaced the shocks last October. Set it down and took it for a ride and have not even touched the adjustment... man what a difference. I ordered a matching set for the front last night.  :bigthumb:

7212Mopar

I changed the oil for my car yesterday and inspected the underside while I was at it. I found the DS rear shock mounting bolt with the nut back off to the last few threads. They were tight when I put it together. What might cause that to happen? Too much fun with the corners?
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Scooter

Possibly. That fine thread nut usually stays put once tightened down. Maybe get a stainless self locking nut for good measure??   :dunno: