Main Menu

Upper ball joint removal

Started by GoMangoBoys, April 04, 2020, 11:58:23 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

Any suggestions on breaking loose the upper ball joint?  My 24" crescent wrench is just popping off.  The passenger side came right loose, but the driver's side isn't budging.  Heat?  Don't want to ruin any heat treating on the A arm.

Rich G.

Try hitting the hex on the sides with a hammer to shock it a little. I have the socket and use an impact gun.

Chryco Psycho

the correct socket is the best way , it will reach down further

JS29

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 04, 2020, 12:12:27 PM
the correct socket is the best way , it will reach down further
X2 on the socket!  :yes:

RUNCHARGER

If they are still on the car a pipe wrench with cheater bar is effective as well. Of course the proper socket is best.
Sheldon

JS29

You may have to go to Snap-on, or similar to find one. I do not think Harbor fright would carry it.  :alan2cents: 

gzig5

It's a special 1 59/64 socket.  Not hex.  They are about $20 online or maybe you can borrow one from the parts store.  I'd let you use mine but by time it is shipped back and forth you could own one.  I recommend leaving the upper arm in the car so you can get some leverage.  I needed 3+ feet of pipe on the breaker bar.  I think that you can get a set of complete upper arms with ball joints for $100, which makes it hardly worth the effort.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunex-10213-64-Inch-Joint-Socket/dp/B003IOEQ1O

Brads70

73_Cuda_4_Me

@GoMangoBoys - I have a socket if you wanted to borrow it.... you would get it sometime next week if that is soon enough... can ship down to you, and you can send it back when done...

Heck, I'll even spray it down to disinfect it for safety before sending...

Members helping members here...!!!
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

mopar jack

Quote from: Brads70 on April 04, 2020, 01:04:44 PM
If only we all had Summit auto racing 20 minutes away?  :pokeeye: :haha:

https://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=ball%20joint%20socket
Not 20 minutes but less than 24 hours. Summit in Reno and me on the west coast.

GoMangoBoys

Thanks for the help.  I ordered a socket from Summit before dinner and went to get it after I ate.  They have curbside pickup at the retail store now.  You order by phone and pick it up at the store. No going inside.  They bring it out to your car.  I opened the trunk and the guy threw the part in.  Social distancing maintained.  They were all wearing masks and gloves now.  Once I got it home, I took it to the barn, opened it and immediately washed my hands.
Good thing I got it.  I would have never gotten the ball joint loose without it.  Initially, I had the breaker bar and a 3 ft cheater.  The bar was deflection something fierce but no budge.  I then applied heat to the A arm and the ball joint came loose.
Another crisis averted by the awesome support from e-bodies.org.  Thanks.

Chryco Psycho

they can be tough to remove , good that you have summit that close !!
Make sure you use anti sieze when you install the new ones

jimynick

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 04, 2020, 06:57:50 PM
they can be tough to remove , good that you have summit that close !!
Make sure you use anti sieze when you install the new ones
AND make sure you get the thread started properly. It's a shallow pitch thread and it's easy to get in just that wee bit cross-threaded.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Brads70

Glad you got it, I was beginning to wonder if someone had welded it in.

anlauto

Quote from: Brads70 on April 04, 2020, 07:33:44 PM
Glad you got it, I was beginning to wonder if someone had welded it in.

How often have you fought one to the death to get it removed only to find out it was welded....I remember getting so mad one time :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: never again....most restorations now I just put the new UCA's on :cheers:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration