Main Menu

1970 Challenger RT/SE 29 years and counting

Started by Bobbydodge, June 07, 2021, 08:26:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Bobbydodge

Headliner sail panels and rear window surround covered

Jsand73440

Car is looking great. What kind of front suspension are you going with?

Bobbydodge

Quote from: Jsand73440 on January 24, 2022, 05:10:47 PM
Car is looking great. What kind of front suspension are you going with?
Hotchkis TVS

jimynick

I don't know why I hadn't seen this thread before, but when I finally did, I was admiring your addition of the US Cartool's SFC's and torque boxes! You went for the rad support as well and that's the one I didn't do on mine. Overall I'm gobsmacked at your ability to overhaul the many components that you have. Totally great work and I can't wait to see the finished product! Roll on!  :twothumbsup:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Brads70

Bobbydodge

Major changes going on here lately.I sold my 451 stroker,and bought a 2010 5.7 with the nag1 5 speed out of a running/ driving- totaled out Challenger.I'm going to do a gen 3 swap.so I removed the k-frame out of the 70,and made a holding fixture to hold the drivetrain.It's going to make it easier to do everything.I'm using Holley engine mounts,transmission mounts,headers,and power steering pump.
I had to do some dinging on the headers here and there,but everything fit good

Bobbydodge

I wanted to use the a/c condenser/transmission cooler from the 2010 donor car,so I welded drilled and tapped mounts on the core support .I also made mounts to use the factory 2010 fan on the 1970 radiator

Bobbydodge

I'm going to use the console and shifter from the 2010.I mounted the shifter as low as possible which  left a space from the bottom of the console to the carpet.I made a fiberglass filler ,then covered it with abs plastic that was heated and thermoformed using old school tooling methods.the shifter and console are screwed down with 10-32 screws.the console rest on the tabs on either side of the shifter,and 10-32 screws hold it to the tabs as well as 4 screws in the factory location inside the console compartment.very solid setup
I found the level location of the console using a drink can in the cup holder.

Bobbydodge

Finished the 3" exhaust-modified the tips to 3" - made a mount for the drive by wire gas pedal
Made a heat shield for the fuel regulator/filter,the heat shield was made from a transmission tunnel shield from a volvo I found in the junkyard.- mounted the battery box out of the donor in the trunk

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: Bobbydodge on December 21, 2022, 05:36:11 PM
I wanted to use the a/c condenser/transmission cooler from the 2010 donor car,so welded drilled and tapped mounts on the core support .I also made mounts to use the factory fan on the 1970 radiator

I like this.  I cannot fathom spending $1100 on a radiator! (Roseville lists a custom radiator with the hose connections in the right place for $1180)   Plus, using OEM parts makes for easy replacements that don't cost an arm and leg if needed)

Bobbydodge

I'm going to be using Holley terminator X engine harness and controller.The cardboard glovebox wasn't strong enough to mount the controller so I cut the bottom off-fiberglassed it,and made it flat.
I went with a Dakota digital dash- just couldn't get off the money to have the dash pad recovered at just dash's so this cover will ride.

anlauto

You got a lot of neat stuff going on there, it's going to be one heck of a car when you're finished  :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Bobbydodge

I forgot to mention-I changed the cam and lifters timing gears,chain,tensioner to delete the MDS.I used a stock replacement cam,but used hellcat lifters and oil pump for durability.I'm going to be driving this car on a daily basis on regular gas.I really didn't want to open up the "performance"can of worms.that can snow ball into a money pit quickly.

Bobbydodge

Wheel and tire combo is
15x8 4.5 bs-275/60/15 rear
15x7 -235/60/15 front
American racing wheels with a personal center decal

tparker

ooh, I like those tires. I may do the same when I upgrade to 15s. Nice