Main Menu

1970 T/A GoMango 4sp

Started by Rbob, May 28, 2020, 07:32:00 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Rbob

So I am restarting this restoration, started the project around 1986.  So I got side tracked, you now life happens.

Its on a rotisserie and a lot of the work was completed early on, and now just have to redu some of it.  I stripped the car to metal (80# polish) and used dp40 followed up with k200 epoxy primer surfacer.  Dp 40 is amazing and I wish I could still get it.  The passenger door was poorly repaired by me before I had any experience and I decided to replace the skin, however when I stripped off all of the primer and mudwork there was zero rust underneath. 

I will post a few pics but it will not be exactly play by play.  The hardest part was removing 2-300 lbs of undercoat (guessing)

some pics:

cudamadd

This will be a nice won when restored

mopartaz

I had someone mention to use dry ice to remove the undercoat. Flakes right off supposedly.

Bossgold

In case you weren't Aware you can die from Dry Ice fumes if your not careful - If dry ice is stored/used in an area without proper ventilation( under a car in a garage), it may cause people to inhale large amounts of the gas CO2, which displaces oxygen in the body and can cause suffocation ....CDC.    When I was in a college fraternity my pledge brother during hell week almost died from mixing of bleach with some household cleansers (e.g. toilet bowl cleansers that contain acid) which generated chlorine gas, while others were cleaning with bleach and ammonia which generates toxic chloramine gas - a toxic vapor. From that day forward I pay attention to dumb ass mistakes. ....But on a lighter note....My next car will be a Challenger T/A D21 4spd in go Mango with black interior. BTW - I tried to buy several Challenger T/A's but ended up with an AAR. A previous T/A I tried to buy was J0B307245 in Los Angeles last year - an A44 Louver car.

Rbob

I replaced the door skin, sandblasted the door shell and coated with por-15.  The original door skin has sound deadener sprayed on the inside of the skin so I duplicated that.  We used panel bond adhesive which seals / glues the skin on.  I forgot the pic of door skin installed but here are a few.  Also sandblasted the trunk inner areas and gave it 2 coats of epoxy primer both sides.

Pics:

Rbob

Gees, time flies.

Finished the sandblasting and welded in new trunk floor and finally epoxied it last night.  I tinted the gray epoxy to try to duplicate the old DP40 but I think its a little too green for my liking so Ii will re-coat the underside after I seamseal.  Any thoughts on using gray epoxy primer, not sure it matters and I am not sure what the original was as mine had a crap load of undercoating.

Pics:

anlauto

Looks like you started with a really solid car  :twothumbsup: coming along nicely.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

:wowzers: It's going to be a beauty!  :yes:

Rbob

Seam Sealing question,

I understand the topside but what about  the underneath floor panel seams and Trans tunnel piece ?  I had so much undercoating to remove I never noticed.

Cuda Cody

Nice job!!!   :clapping:

I seam seal the underside because I don't want water spraying up and getting between the metal.  That will lead to rust later.

Rbob

Cody,

I just noticed you have the same rotisserie,  I have had mine for ten years and I do not know what brand it is but I love it.

I just went thru 3 tubes of seam sealer, looks like I need 6 more.

Rbob

I painted the trunk and pulled it off the rotisserie, epoxy primed where the rotisserie mounted.  Later this week I am going to refinish the front aprons, core support and firewall so I will only have to deal with painting the exterior sheet metal when its time.
Couple pics:

RUNCHARGER

Great looking work on a terrific car.
Sheldon

jeff968

Nice, I used to own 307227 back in the day. It was parted years ago. Also a 4 speed, R35, S74, A62.

Rbob

Engine bay painted this morning...   Feeling awesome ...  except I think I should have had the vin tag in place when I sprayed the apron, oh well.

I may do the black out on the cowl and core support this weekend if I get time.

Trying go get the k-frame and other black pieces painted today.