Main Menu

1971 R/T 383 Engine Detailing

Started by gpm6367, October 08, 2020, 11:46:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gpm6367

Waiting on my carburetor and minor back ordered detail pieces.

Is this enough space? I can't move the positive cable any further off the engine pipe. It's not touching  but I wish it was further away.

RUNCHARGER

You can bend it away just a bit. Yes, it's a miserable tightness there for sure. I've never had one burn though.
Sheldon

gpm6367

Are they all that close? Someone else thought maybe I had wrong starter?

anlauto

It's common for them to be close, yours is real close, I would guess it might be the aftermarket exhaust pipe more so then the starter :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

gpm6367

Quote from: anlauto on November 19, 2020, 07:12:58 AM
It's common for them to be close, yours is real close, I would guess it might be the aftermarket exhaust pipe more so then the starter :alan2cents:

Great.

Any idea why the vacuum pod linkage contacts the choke? Was sold to me as an NOS choke for a 383 with Holly carb. Somethings not correct.

moreparts

Hmmm, off hand I'd guess it was the choke coil.  Mine has an indentation at that point.  I'll try to get a pic for you if you like.

moreparts

Got the pic.  Could be yours is NOS but for a 2 bbl.  This though is from a '70/383, but I would be surprised if there was a difference.

gpm6367

moreparts

It is.  But I don't have a problem using a regular gasket.  The spacer may help you squeak by though.  You could also use the clip that  secures the choke arm to the linkage.

gpm6367

Yes I need the clip. Not sure where to get it or spacer?

moreparts

Those clips are hard to come by.  Most of them face the other direction.  I got mine at the junkyard years ago.  I wonder if Holley has them?  The spacer I got from a parts store years ago.  I think they're still easy to get at most speed shops.  Just bring in you regular gasket to match it up.

gpm6367

Quote from: moreparts on December 07, 2020, 06:13:10 PM
It is.  But I don't have a problem using a regular gasket.  The spacer may help you squeak by though.  You could also use the clip that  secures the choke arm to the linkage.

Is the spacer 1/2 inch ?

gpm6367

Quote from: moreparts on December 07, 2020, 06:13:10 PM

MEGA sells a set of phenolic spacers; were they used on Hemi cars? Why sold in pairs?

I assume the large vacuum port on lower front of carb goes to PCV off drivers side valve cover?

There is a small vacuum port on passenger side of carb and that likely goes to distributor?

What goes to that large vacuum port up top on passenger side?

gpm6367

What's the deal with this throttle cable? Seems too be too long and pedal feels weird.

Skdmark

Hose routing and connections.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane: