Main Menu

1971 R/T 383 Engine Detailing

Started by gpm6367, October 08, 2020, 11:46:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Skdmark

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

gpm6367

I'm interested in the air cleaner. Can you message me pics? Good condition but needs refinishing. Was it a krinkle finish on air cleaner from factory?

gpm6367

How do those dates work on the coils? 3 digits?

gpm6367

Are these correct for my 71 383 R/T?

Skdmark

Black wrinkle on dual snorkel in 71.

3 digit date codes - first two are the week and third is last digit of the year.
Example: 131 = 13th week of 1971

If you want someone's attention then put an "@" in front of their name.
The board will message them.

Example @anlauto
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

RUNCHARGER

Quite a few dual snorkle air cleaners were gloss black in 1971 including the 71 Challenger R/T I bought in 1979.
Sheldon

gpm6367

Is that choke and fuel pump correct?

anlauto

Quote from: gpm6367 on October 26, 2020, 05:39:56 PM
Is that choke and fuel pump correct?
The picture of the fuel pump look correct but you would have to make sure it has a 5/16" inlet. Some 440's and Hemi's use 3/8".
As for the choke, you would need to know the make and model number of the carb you have to insure you're getting the proper one.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

gpm6367

5/16 inlet and 3/8 outlet?

Is the OEM carb a 4160?

Let me know about the air cleaner.

Skdmark

For a stock 383 you want a Carter M4589 fuel pump.
It has nipples on inlet and outlet for 5/16 line.

440-4 HP and 440-6 uses a Carter M4845 fuel pump which has the threaded oulet that goes to a fuel separator.
The one in your picture looks like a M4845.

Either pump will physically bolt up and work on a 383, just different operating pressures.

The OEM Holley Carb on a 71 383 is a 4160 series.
-Harlan Ellison

gpm6367

Quote from: Skdmark on October 26, 2020, 08:16:02 PM
For a stock 383 you want a Carter M4589 fuel pump.
It has nipples on inlet and outlet for 5/16 line.

440-4 HP and 440-6 uses a Carter M4845 fuel pump which has the threaded oulet that goes to a fuel separator.
The one in your picture looks like a M4845.

Either pump will physically bolt up and work on a 383, just different operating pressures.

The OEM Holley Carb on a 71 383 is a 4160 series.

What I don't want to do is act without sufficient knowledge and replace correct parts. I saw the photograph and assumed I should have a threaded 3/8 line coming out of my fuel pump. I don't. I have a nipple on both inlet and outlet. Mine is a 71 383 and from what you're saying should have nipples on both? If that's the case it's not necessarily the wrong fuel pump.

If that is correct does a rubber line just come off the outlet at bottom of the fuel pump and bend upward to the fuel filter? As you can see a previous owner rigged a piece of bent steel line. The outlet comes out of the bottom and points at the ground. I'd love to see a picture of correct application with the 2 nipples.

It would appear than that the choke  is correct for my car.

gpm6367

So just to be clear the upper photo is not the correct set up for my 71 383 ?

anlauto

In my opinion the top picture is correct for a 1971 383, but where you're going wrong is with the 3/8".  ALL 383 fuel lines are 5/16" so the pump would have 5/16" nipple inlet and 5/16" threaded outlet.

I'm trying to sell my air cleaner locally to avoid the hassles of shipping. Here's my ad:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-engines-and-engine-parts/oakville-halton-region/1971-440-383-mopar-air-cleaner/1532056928
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

gpm6367

Ok, I see. The one pictured above is 3/8 out.

On the air cleaner how about $300 plus $25 for shipping?

Hook a brother up.  :)