Main Menu

1971 R/T 383 Engine Detailing

Started by gpm6367, October 08, 2020, 11:46:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Skdmark

Quote from: gpm6367 on October 27, 2020, 04:15:26 AM
So just to be clear the upper photo is not the correct set up for my 71 383 ?

The 71 service manual image is not 100% correct for a 71 383. Odds are it was a reused image taken pre-1970 and is possibly a 440.
The take away from that image is the use of a fuel filter (not a vapor separator) with a rubber fuel line going to the tube for the carb. As noted in the other thread by Alan, the fuel clamps should be keystone clamps and neither the corbin (spring) clamps in the picture nor a worm clamp.

Alan is of the opinion the 383 fuel pump would have a 5/16 threaded outlet. I'm of the opinion it has a 5/16 nipple outlet. Could very well be both were possible on the production line. There are sometimes more than one supplier. Carter is the most well known, but there was Airtex too.

The image below is from the 70 service manual and where I double-checked my numbers prior to my last response. I've also found a similar correlation to the number of different pumps in the 71 Parts manual, as well as, doing some searching on other forums and parts vendors ads.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Skdmark

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on October 27, 2020, 07:28:30 AM
Gloss black.

I see what you did there.  :bigthumb:

My air cleaner was painted red, white and blue when I got the car 30 years ago.
I never had the benefit of having the original paint on it. For giggles I checked the ICCA judging guidelines for e-bodies and it calls out both black wrinkle and semi-gloss black for the dual snorkel. Personally, I like the wrinkle better. However, if I knew for sure my car was semi-gloss from the factory I would keep it that way.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

anlauto

I'll be the first to admit when I'm wrong as well....I'm no fuel pump expert :handshake:

I just know it would not be a combination of two different sizes like 5/16" in and 3/8" out....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

gpm6367

Is the 5/16 output nipple come out at 45 degrees? In other words parallel to the floor?

The one in the car comes out the bottom and points to the ground.

gpm6367

Sell me your air cleaner? I'll pay $300 plus shipping. Any idea the cost?

Skdmark

Quote from: gpm6367 on October 27, 2020, 01:40:13 PM
Is the 5/16 output nipple come out at 45 degrees? In other words parallel to the floor?

The one in the car comes out the bottom and points to the ground.

Parallel to the floor. Not straight down.
-Harlan Ellison

EV2RTSE

Here's what I believe to be an original fuel pump from a 70 383.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

Quote from: gpm6367 on October 27, 2020, 01:41:46 PM

@gpm6367 In order for me to take the time to box up my air cleaner, I would need a total of $350 USD funds in my PayPal account with you covering the PP fees on your end.

gpm6367

Quote from: anlauto on October 27, 2020, 05:46:57 PM

@gpm6367 In order for me to take the time to box up my air cleaner, I would need a total of $350 USD funds in my PayPal account with you covering the PP fees on your end.

Net $350 to you via pay pal. Any issue with it coming through customs? What's your pay pal account?

anlauto

Quote from: gpm6367 on October 27, 2020, 06:33:13 PM
Quote from: anlauto on October 27, 2020, 05:46:57 PM

Net $350 to you via pay pal. Any issue with it coming through customs? What's your pay pal account?

I have to fill out customs paper work, but you won't have to pay any additional taxes with it entering the US.  Yes, for me to net $350.00 USD you would send it family/friends or something.. I will PM you my PayPal info

gpm6367

Hugely  helpful . I have a correct fuel pump, gas lines and clamps on the way.

How do you compress those keystone clamps?

Is there anything special about the OEM metal fuel filter? Or can I just get one from auto parts store?

Mine is an older restoration and there is plenty of paint on that motor. Wiped down the engine bay and will touch up around the water pump, thermostat housing and areas on intake before putting everything back together.

gpm6367

Another question.

Is this reservoir correct? Doesn't line up well with holes on inner fender.

Missing the motor. Will this work or is it a resto item?

anlauto

The original pump had a metal case on the motor, sometimes gold cad plated. The one in your picture is black plastic.
Making this reproduction one a little more accurate....not 100% correct, but better then the generic plastic one.

https://www.megapartsusa.com/proddetail.php?prod=102-WH09C

anlauto

The reproduction fuel filter has the Chrysler part number/logo/date code etc... which the over-counter ones won't obviously, otherwise very similar  :alan2cents: