Main Menu

1974 Challenger Restomod

Started by Dmod1974, December 08, 2019, 09:25:14 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Dmod1974

I reset the engine mount brackets and finished up the tunnel mods.  Came out decent and the center console still fits.  Also took my measurements and got my driveshaft delivered from SST.  Fits perfect and my working angles turned out great.  This aluminum shaft is substantially lighter than steel!

I stripped the interior panels down and laid down some epoxy primer to finish sealing this shell up. Definitely NOT going to miss grinding/sanding and looking like a coal miner afterward.

Tomorrow I'm going to seam seal everything and lay down another coat of epoxy primer in advance of spraying the Lizard skin sound and thermal barriers.

jimynick

Comin' along and lookin' good! You'll miss the welding and grinding, won't you?  ;)
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

YellowThumper

Lot of progress there. Gonna be so much more drivable. Cool the center console still fits as well.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Dmod1974

I'm on vacation this week and have been pretty motivated to wrap this pig up!  Seam sealed the interior.  Tried to make it look factory original sloppy.  I used 3M heavy bodied 2 part seam sealer.  Expensive, but really awesome stuff.

I laid down another coat of epoxy primer after sealing and sprayed the Lizard Skin sound control coating too.  It actually matches the Eastwood gray primer pretty darn close!  It made it tricky to tell if I was getting adequate coverage or not when spraying.

I have to wait 24-36 hours before spraying the ceramic thermal insulation, so I decided to install all of the trim in preparation for dropping it off at a body shop.

This is the closest it's come to looking like a real car in 2 years.  Once I get my latches back from SF Resto I'll hopefully be able to get this in somewhere for final body and paint.  I'm basically done for a while minus restoring the interior trim and dash.

jimynick

Great progress! Let's hope the lads at the body shop take appropriate care of all that nice trim, eh? You should be able to load your anvil collection into the trunk without scratching anything as well!  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Dmod1974

Quote from: jimynick on November 25, 2020, 08:44:56 PM
Great progress! Let's hope the lads at the body shop take appropriate care of all that nice trim, eh? You should be able to load your anvil collection into the trunk without scratching anything as well!  :bigthumb:

They better!  Some of the trim is original and has minor dents or bends to work out, and I don't think they can do that without having a car to fit it up to.  The repro trim doesn't fit great either and needs some tweaking in areas.  I'm not messing with it myself, I WILL do more harm than good on that thin stuff.

chargerdon

Congratulations...Man..you did some AWESUM WORK !! 

I'm another with a 74 Challenger that i personally restored, tho from the doors forward it was in great shape...   Did just patches on the 1/4's and rockers..   Replaced Trunk floor and rear valance work...   No where near what you did.    I also did the Priming and block sanding then took it to a professional painter to have shot in Plum Crazy.   

I'm curious....have you saved all of the receipts so that you know how much out of pocket you will have into the car when finished, and anywhere near the number of hours you put into it??   

When you finally get to drive it...show us a video !!!!

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha: I bet I'm not the only one that has started logs with hours on a car and they added up so fast I gave up on keeping track of it.
Sheldon

Dakota

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on November 26, 2020, 07:23:01 AM
Ha, ha: I bet I'm not the only one that has started logs with hours on a car and they added up so fast I gave up on keeping track of it.

You are not alone on not tracking the hours.  Unfortunately, I have way too much detail and a fairly accurate total on what I've spent. 

But back to our show.... beautiful work on the car dmod!

Dmod1974

Quote from: chargerdon on November 26, 2020, 06:51:16 AM
Congratulations...Man..you did some AWESUM WORK !! 

I'm another with a 74 Challenger that i personally restored, tho from the doors forward it was in great shape...   Did just patches on the 1/4's and rockers..   Replaced Trunk floor and rear valance work...   No where near what you did.    I also did the Priming and block sanding then took it to a professional painter to have shot in Plum Crazy.   

I'm curious....have you saved all of the receipts so that you know how much out of pocket you will have into the car when finished, and anywhere near the number of hours you put into it??   

When you finally get to drive it...show us a video !!!!

I do have receipts and track how much I've spent on it.  I don't have hours logged though, and I cannot even begin to estimate how much time I've spent on it.  It's still saved me a small fortune though since my time is a helluva lot cheaper than a professional body shop.

7212Mopar

It has been a long time coming since I watched your YouTube videos on this car. Very nice job. Have you decided on the color? It was originally darker shade of red if I remember correct?
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

anlauto

Not sure I would have done the Lizard Skin in the trunk, it always looks so nice with just clean paint, HOWEVER...I get what you're going for, and hopefully it will provide a ton of sound proofing  :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Dmod1974

Quote from: 7212Mopar on November 26, 2020, 08:43:14 AM
It has been a long time coming since I watched your YouTube videos on this car. Very nice job. Have you decided on the color? It was originally darker shade of red if I remember correct?

Thanks!  I think you might have me mistaken for someone else; I've never done any YouTube videos.  My car was originally a bright red, but I think I'm going with Go Green when I get it painted.

Dmod1974

Quote from: anlauto on November 26, 2020, 09:32:07 AM
Not sure I would have done the Lizard Skin in the trunk, it always looks so nice with just clean paint, HOWEVER...I get what you're going for, and hopefully it will provide a ton of sound proofing  :bigthumb:

Yeah, I went back and forth on it too.  It's going to get upholstered and have a battery box back there since their won't be room up front with the Hellcat engine anyways, so that pretty floor paint wouldn't be visible.

soundcontrol

Quote from: Dmod1974 on November 26, 2020, 09:36:32 AM
Quote from: 7212Mopar on November 26, 2020, 08:43:14 AM

Thanks!  I think you might have me mistaken for someone else; I've never done any YouTube videos.  My car was originally a bright red, but I think I'm going with Go Green when I get it painted.

I think that is daboots Challenger resto on YT, This one:
https://forum.e-bodies.org/your-restoration-project-roseville-moparts/10/74-challenger-canadian-restoration/13673/