Main Menu

74 Challenger Canadian Restoration

Started by daaboots, November 13, 2019, 05:44:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

daaboots

Hi folks! I had a restoration thread over on cuda-challenger and figured I'd move things over here since this is where all the cool kids hang out these days ;)

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=98700.0

I'm gonna repost some of the pics and my comments so that this is a fairly complete restoration log.

daaboots

Started to find lots of hidden issues  ::)

headejm

:welcome: to the site!

Good luck and keep us up to date on progress. ...and yes, all the cool kids are on here.  :wave:

daaboots

Pulled the glass out and ripped off the roof.

daaboots

It was right around this point that I realized I was in WAY over my head  :o Pulled the rear quarter panel off and found nothing but trouble every direction I looked. Looking back, I should have just gutted the car here and put it on a rotisserie so I could blast everything. However, hindsight is 20/20 eh!

daaboots

Started to patch the rocker panel next... that was a big job! Turned out half decent for my first attempt at making a patch  :banana:

nsmall

Keep at it and thanks for sharing.  Someone once told me " it's going to take everything I got" to finish my restoration and I thought he was crazy but by the time I was done I realized that I was some pretty good advice.

Maybe don't tear anything else down until you start putting some new parts back on.

Maybe @HP_Cuda can share some inspirational pics before his car was done.

daaboots

More work on the rocker panel and my first attempt at the wheel housing.

daaboots

Starting to question what I had done in life to deserve this mess, I pressed on an pulled out tail light panel and truck pan next  :bricks: Pretty sure everyone said I should just crush it at this point.

daaboots

I debated long about how to proceed with the frame rails. The end sections were completely rotten and a patch was scabbed over at some point. I really didn't want to install full replacement rails and I didn't like the idea of the rail covers. So I decided to cut out the bad section and splice in a new section. My reasoning was that if I screwed it up I could always buy the full replacements anyways. It turned out really nice in the end!

ClarkWGrizwald

You are literally building an entire car. Glutton for punishment or....excellent fabricator!  Either way, get er done! Way to go!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

nsmall

I love your commentary.  Keep the updates coming.  You are one dedicated man, or maybe you are nuts at this point. :bradsthumb:

Chryco Psycho

jringo8769

Love the commentary and love the dedication
Hey life is never supposed to be easy
Great work so far
Thank u for including us along the way
Can not wait to see more
God Bless,John
Great to see another one saved too

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

blown motor

Glad you're posting your restoration. All hale the 74s!! PM sent.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel