Main Menu

70 Challenger Conv. Restomod. 6.1 Hemi

Started by soundcontrol, January 18, 2017, 12:52:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: soundcontrol on February 24, 2017, 02:43:16 PM
Not super happy with the fitment of the inner fender braces, can the cars really be so different that I have to ad 1/2" of material in places and grind off 1/2" in other places...?

I had a similar experience with those parts. In the end, the parts worked, but nothing really "fit" out of the box....at all...
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Brads70

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on February 24, 2017, 08:29:28 PM
Quote from: soundcontrol on February 24, 2017, 02:43:16 PM
Not super happy with the fitment of the inner fender braces, can the cars really be so different that I have to ad 1/2" of material in places and grind off 1/2" in other places...?

I had a similar experience with those parts. In the end, the parts worked, but nothing really "fit" out of the box....at all...

:iagree:  Same thing here.....

HP_Cuda

Nice progress

On a side note, there are small inexpensive cameras you could buy to snake into the rails both front and back to see what the extent of the damage is. Take it from someone who went further than he wanted to.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

soundcontrol

Quote from: HP_Cuda on February 25, 2017, 10:19:59 AM

Nice progress

On a side note, there are small inexpensive cameras you could buy to snake into the rails both front and back to see what the extent of the damage is. Take it from someone who went further than he wanted to.

Thanks! Yep, I got one of those, have not used it yet though. I found a nice wire brush that is about the size of the framerail inside, its made for cleaning out sut in channels in fireplaces, gonna use that to get loose rust out and then use Eastwoods internal frame coating.

soundcontrol

Inner fender braces done! Moving on to the lower radiator support, fitment issues there also, I assume the brace is most effective if it has direct contact with the frame rails, makes no sense welding them to the stock radiator support flaps that are just spotwelded to the frame with2 spots, (Pict 2).
So I cut those off and welded the stock support direct to the framerail, that way the new brace will be welded direct to the framerail.
Pict 3 is the very best TIG weld I ever done welding upside down  :unbelievable:, before grinding, I just cant get them to look nice in that position....

Cuda Cody

That car is going to be very tight!    :)

soundcontrol

Got the lower ratiator support in place. I ended up removing all the spotwelds for the stock support to frame and tuck that back, so the new one could be welded direct to the frame instead of to the spotwelded flaps for the stock support. Then I will weld the stock support back from the inside. I just tackwelded it for now, will weld it up when I get the car back in the rotisserie so I can get in a good position.

Cuda Cody

You are leaving nothing to chance.  This thing is going to be TIGHT!   Are you planning on racing it?   :)

soundcontrol

Quote from: Cuda Cody on March 04, 2017, 10:07:58 AM
You are leaving nothing to chance.  This thing is going to be TIGHT!   Are you planning on racing it?   :)

No, my racing days are over, used to street race a bit in the 80's but this is gonna be my summer daily driver.

soundcontrol

Fixed the ugly ass patch under the battery today. Have a few of those here and there to fix, I wonder why people don't just do it right the first time instead of cutting corners... :notsure:

Did not drill the holes for the battery tray yet, since I'm not 100% sure that the battery will go there.

Cuda Cody

Sweet job!  Let me know if you want me to see if I can get you a hole location for the battery tray mount hole?  :slapme5:

soundcontrol

Quote from: Cuda Cody on March 09, 2017, 04:13:43 PM
Sweet job!  Let me know if you want me to see if I can get you a hole location for the battery tray mount hole?  :slapme5:

Thanks, but I'm saving the old piece for that, if needed, it got the holes. Gonna try to keep the battery in it's place, most Hemi swaps move it to the trunk, I don't like that.

Brads70

Quote from: soundcontrol on March 09, 2017, 03:55:09 PM
Fixed the ugly ass patch under the battery today. Have a few of those here and there to fix, I wonder why people don't just do it right the first time instead of cutting corners... :notsure:

Did not drill the holes for the battery tray yet, since I'm not 100% sure that the battery will go there.

I had the same issue on mine when I first got it. Pretty common spot to rot out.

Cuda Cody

Love seeing all this metal work.   :veryexcited:  There's something about fixing rust that makes me happy.

HP_Cuda

Dang battery acid, never is kind to metal.  :Thud:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200