Main Menu

70 Challenger Conv. Restomod. 6.1 Hemi

Started by soundcontrol, January 18, 2017, 12:52:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

Hadn't checked this thread in awhile... Couple things... Up front some of the holes you filled need to be put back... Up on the radiator yoke there are bolts to mount the front fenders... Missing.... Probably should put those back.. (Assuming you want fenders)

On the battery area, original battery trays had a drain hole & the same location on the inner fender had a drain hole, Some earlier B bodies actually have a rubber hole with a formed flange/grommet that snapped into the tray keeping an fluid that leaks off the sheet metal..

soundcontrol

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 18, 2017, 12:28:16 PM
Hadn't checked this thread in awhile... Couple things... Up front some of the holes you filled need to be put back... Up on the radiator yoke there are bolts to mount the front fenders... Missing.... Probably should put those back.. (Assuming you want fenders)

On the battery area, original battery trays had a drain hole & the same location on the inner fender had a drain hole, Some earlier B bodies actually have a rubber hole with a formed flange/grommet that snapped into the tray keeping an fluid that leaks off the sheet metal..

Oops! Yeah, kinda forgot about those up front....fenders would be nice.   :)  Thanks!

The battery tray, was gonna wait and see if I can fit the battery there or if I have to put it in the trunk. I would like to keep it in it's place but I see most Hemi swaps puts the airfilter there. I was gonna test some other solutions for the airfilter in order to keep the battery in the engine compartment. The rubber grommet is a great idea for the drain there!

soundcontrol

Lack of progress lately so I'll post a picture of my daily driver from 1985. Just found an old photo album. If I remember right it was a real R/T,  383/727.

Cuda Cody

Was that a real TX9 black Challenger?

soundcontrol

Quote from: Cuda Cody on May 29, 2017, 01:40:55 PM
Was that a real TX9 black Challenger?

I don't know, and I don't have too many pictures of it, at the time I wasn't that interested in Fender tags and codes. I just drove that one during the winter and my convertible in the summer.

soundcontrol

Been slow but I got some stuff done today. Finished the left side of the rocker, found a small area on above that was pitted so I changed that also.

soundcontrol

Was hoping that the right side would be OK, but nope, same hackjob, even worse, thick layers of bondo on top of rust!
I should have blasted this area also.
Who put a nice expensive FC7 paintjob over such crappy repairs!!   :verymad:

soundcontrol

And when they did the "repairs" they cut the rocker way too deep so the also made deep cuts in the convertible reinforcement, fixing those. I really hate TIG welding upside down, there is not one cussword I know that didn't get used here.
A MIG would have been much easier here, but I don't have one.

Cuda Cody

I can barely tig weld standing up and you're doing it on your back.   :twothumbsup:  Very cool.  Nice job. 

soundcontrol

Over a month since I worked on the car, been working 24/7 around the clock lately, no time for anything else, got a few hrs off from work today so I got started on the other wheelhouse, pretty much the same crappy repairs, I'm just cutting it out and doing it properly. The area where the rocker meets the wheelhouse is probably the most time consuming repairs I done so far.

thedodgeboys

Lots of great work I just quickly scrolled through this thread it sure brings back lots of memories

RUNCHARGER

That would be so much easier with a rotisserie. I've done the overhead and I can't say I want to do it again.
Sheldon

soundcontrol

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on July 29, 2017, 08:17:09 AM
That would be so much easier with a rotisserie. I've done the overhead and I can't say I want to do it again.

I know, but I needed to get that stuff fixed before I put the quarters, trunkfloor w. extensions and the rear crossmember in. It can not go in the rotisserie right now. I only weld as much as I really have to, on areas that will be covered up by the quarter, will do the rest in the rotisserie. But I gotta say, I am getting better at welding in that position, first try's, it was nearly impossible with a TIG.

soundcontrol

Yes! I got a day off from work, after 6 weeks of nonstop work on a TV show. Well not a whole day, now I gotta work a nightshift, but enough to go work on my car some. No rain so I decided to take it outside and sandblast and paint 2K epoxy inside the quarters. Good thing I got that done, the weather is slowly getting bad here for the fall, wind and rain. I painted the inside of the first quarterpanel also, gonna spray bedliner on it over the epoxy.

soundcontrol

Time to get back at it! After sandblasting inside the quarters I noticed that the last piece of the rocker is way to pitted to save, looked OK before blasting though, I even blasted som new holes in it. So I cut it out, made a new piece, I used etch primer on the bare steel here, what is the best way to continue here, should I use a regular primer, then a topcoat? I read that the etch primer does not like a 2K epoxy on top of it...

Look at those layers and layers of unprotected panels overlapping each other at the very place most likely to rust on the car...
My OCD makes me pry everything apart, clean and protect it.
These cars were not made to last 50 years, its a wonder that area is not totally gone.