Main Menu

70 Challenger SE

Started by Timbbuc2, January 05, 2017, 11:56:14 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

Ugh: If it is a Big Block you may have a 68-69 manifold.
Sheldon

Timbbuc2

Getting alot done, exhaust done including the tips, did not pay a outrageous  price, I bought a set of tips off ebay for less than i could have bought one anywhere else. They looked nice stainless steel and they matched up perfectly.
So today I started on my grill. How does everyone clean theirs? Well let me tell you how I am doing mine. Those little egg crate are something else. So I put a round brush in my drill and dipped it in a liquid buffing compound. I have one side done, more tomorrow.
Get in, I'll drive

Roadman

Man, nice work on the grill.   :banana:   I never thought of doing that.   :rebelflag"

70/6chall

You did a real good job on your grill, and it's going to be a winner when you get the other half done.cleaning it up and painting the grill makes a big difference and I think sets the tone for the rest of the car. I mean, it's right out there in front. Few years ago I thought the same thing, except I didn't remove mine like you did. But I meticulously cleaned the egg crate, and painted the egg crate with a light coat of stainless steel paint and then a coat of clear, polished out the aluminum egg crate surround then painted the rest of the grill in light (which is incorrect) Astro tone paint. I will be repainting it in the proper dark Astro tone paint. Good luck on it, just take your time and it'll look great. By the way that egg crate is a PITA to clean to prep for paint. Here's the way mine turned out.
       Thanks,   Al

Timbbuc2

Quote from: 70/6chall on October 06, 2017, 05:53:09 PM
You did a real good job on your grill, and it's going to be a winner when you get the other half done.cleaning it up and painting the grill makes a big difference and I think sets the tone for the rest of the car. I mean, it's right out there in front. Few years ago I thought the same thing, except I didn't remove mine like you did. But I meticulously cleaned the egg crate, and painted the egg crate with a light coat of stainless steel paint and then a coat of clear, polished out the aluminum egg crate surround then painted the rest of the grill in light (which is incorrect) Astro tone paint. I will be repainting it in the proper dark Astro tone paint. Good luck on it, just take your time and it'll look great. By the way that egg crate is a PITA to clean to prep for paint. Here's the way mine turned out.
       Thanks,   Al
I could not agree more, the front is what is seen rear view mirrow and the back end as well when the car is passed. What I did is too get in the corners I ran the drill in the clockwise direction and then reversed it. Tht gets the corners clean. What color is the rest of the grill painted?
Get in, I'll drive

Timbbuc2

Egg crate done, now to polish and clean the rest of the grill
Get in, I'll drive

Roadman

Nice work man @Timbbuc2     :ohyeah:          :rebelflag"

70/6chall

Alright Timbuc2! What you have done on your grill looks great, it cleaned up real well. Man I didn't envy you cleaning up that egg crate at all. Like I said I hit the egg crate part of my grill with a stainless steel toned paint. Since this grill is the OEM original grill, the egg crate resembled that stainless steel color. After polishing out the egg crate surround to a chrome like appearance and since my Dodge is a non R/T car, I bought 2 cans each of the light and dark Astro tone paint from Dave's Totally Auto. The grill ended up looking sweet, but I shot it with the light paint, wrong!! I said "what the heck did I do that for?" I will be prepping it again and shooting it with the dark proper paint.
        Thanks,   Al

Timbbuc2

Quote from: 70/6chall on October 07, 2017, 07:24:28 PM
Alright Timbuc2! What you have done on your grill looks great, it cleaned up real well. Man I didn't envy you cleaning up that egg crate at all. Like I said I hit the egg crate part of my grill with a stainless steel toned paint. Since this grill is the OEM original grill, the egg crate resembled that stainless steel color. After polishing out the egg crate surround to a chrome like appearance and since my Dodge is a non R/T car, I bought 2 cans each of the light and dark Astro tone paint from Dave's Totally Auto. The grill ended up looking sweet, but I shot it with the light paint, wrong!! I said "what the heck did I do that for?" I will be prepping it again and shooting it with the dark proper paint.
        Thanks,   Al
Lol, it was tough, really time consuming but it was like eating Lay's potato chip could not eat just one. Got started and looked so good I had to finish. Now I need to find the correct paint to paint the rest. It is a dark color.
Get in, I'll drive

Brads70

Quote from: Timbbuc2 on October 06, 2017, 04:24:53 PM
Getting alot done, exhaust done including the tips, did not pay a outrageous  price, I bought a set of tips off ebay for less than i could have bought one anywhere else. They looked nice stainless steel and they matched up perfectly.
So today I started on my grill. How does everyone clean theirs? Well let me tell you how I am doing mine. Those little egg crate are something else. So I put a round brush in my drill and dipped it in a liquid buffing compound. I have one side done, more tomorrow.

Great idea, turned out great! You have more patience than me..... here is what I did.
https://forum.e-bodies.org/body-shop/5/-cleaning-up-a-argent-1970-challenger-grill/69/msg1793#msg1793

Timbbuc2

Quote from: Brads70 on October 08, 2017, 05:13:35 AM
Quote from: Timbbuc2 on October 06, 2017, 04:24:53 PM

Great idea, turned out great! You have more patience than me..... here is what I did.
https://forum.e-bodies.org/body-shop/5/-cleaning-up-a-argent-1970-challenger-grill/69/msg1793#msg1793
Your grill looks great, good idea using acetone . I am going to remove the rivets also.
Get in, I'll drive

RusTy/SE

Necessity is the mother of invention. . .  Great idea @Timbbuc2

Btw Nate has mostly passed here (Montgomery). Experienced light to moderate rain and occasional gusts in the 20mph range.  Now headed or already knocking at Wade and Moparal's area.

Be safe :yes:
JS29U0B

There are no traffic jams along the extra mile - Roger Staubach

Timbbuc2

Still raining here, I am about 1 hour from Montgomery. Good day to work on the Challenger. 
I was reading that SE came with Silver Argent on the grill. But mine looks very dark with a hint of black. BUT it may not be original to my car. @Cuda Cody where can I get the correct color?
Get in, I'll drive

70/6chall

Timmbuc2........ That argent silver your referring to, is the dark argent or dark astrotone you can buy from Daves Totally Auto. That's the paint that has the sparkely look to it. It's also used on the '70 Challenger SE rear finish panel. Dave will sell it to you in a reasonably priced spray can.
     Thanks,   Al

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=30646.0;attach=196055;image

I didn't do my tail to,spec. And the SE panel is black since I have the BB stripe.

I,would have posted the actual,pic, but am on the iPad. Now.