Main Menu

70 Challenger (someday)

Started by Kewl_Wheels, January 28, 2018, 10:52:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

303 Mopar

Quote from: Kewl_Wheels on May 14, 2018, 09:05:06 AM
Now if I can get a starter in there that will be nice... those are hedman elite header 1 3/4".

Any reason you did not mount the starter before the headers and while it was out of the car?

Kewl_Wheels

Yes there is...  In the event the starter ever has to come out I wanted to see if it would be possible in the car with the exhaust in place.  I haven't built one of these before and I can have that header out in about 10 minutes so I wanted to see.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

usraptor

Nice job on the engine install.  However, I'm glad I have a lift.  It's much easier to drop the car down over the engine and K-Member.  I love the color also.  Almost makes me wish I had painted mine that color.  Good luck with the starter.  :twothumbsup:

Kewl_Wheels

Thanks, I only had to loosen the header bolts for a little wiggle room to install the starter. Sure isn't going to be much fun after everything else is assembled in place.

nsmall

:wrenching:

Progress.  Major progress and it looks great.  Good job and keep on chugging along!

Kewl_Wheels

Still moving forward. Drive shaft in, new radiator, and getting the exhaust in place.
Still not sure what I want to to with my steering?  Go through the gear box I have or just replace it. It does feel smooth turning by hand so I may give it a shot.

Kewl_Wheels

Has anyone gone through they're power steering box? I began dissecting mine and so far I found a broken Spring. I can find it in the parts catalog for a number but I'm not sure  where i can by one? Any ideas?
Thanks

Chryco Psycho

Not sure where to get the spring , Dave may know , or a rebuilder like cardone
or you could upgrade to a Firm Feel stage 3 box

Kewl_Wheels

The more I'm thinking about it I'd be foolish not to upgrade it. So I'll probably be calling firm feel after work today.

Kewl_Wheels

So the power steering box is being shipped across the country  To firm feel time to Keep Moving

Kewl_Wheels

So I finally welded up and redrilled the oversized holes in the filler tube that hold it to the body so I could install it. Now I have a question about the trim ring around the cap... am I missing something that should hold the flip cap to the trim ring and any ideas on how to hold the trim ring tighter to the body? There is a notch in the cap that lines up with a hole in the trim ring.

Kewl_Wheels

1 of two columns stripped and cleaned.
I have a column shift and floor shift that came with the vehicle. Now that the floor shift column is apart (BIG THANK YOU TO CUDA CODY for your videos!) I see it's a 1973. Firm feel said they are 3 to 4 weeks on turn time for the gearbox so I have a little time to get things together.

Kewl_Wheels

Hey guys I could use some help with these steering column bearings... I believe I found the correct upper bearing
http://www.rosevillemoparts.com/shopping_cart.php/p/bearing-upper-steering-column-shaft-all-62-90

Or

https://www.quirkparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-bearing-2265656#gopen

Same part number but I'm not sure about the lower bearing? The one I removed has the bearing in a cast aluminum housing and the ones I'm finding are plastic looking and I could just replace the bearing itself. Any idea that may help?

Dakota

Quote from: Kewl_Wheels on July 15, 2018, 11:25:27 AM
Same part number but I'm not sure about the lower bearing? The one I removed has the bearing in a cast aluminum housing and the ones I'm finding are plastic looking and I could just replace the bearing itself. Any idea that may help?

There was a thread posted on cuda-challenger.com by @72bluNblu which I found very helpful when I did my column, including the lower bearing.   In the thread, there's a link to a lower bearing on eBay.   The particular part has been sold, so there's also a link below for a comparable bearing that's for sale at the moment. I ended up having to use a sanding drum on a Dremel to widen the bottom of the column just a little to get the bearing to fit.   

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=91398.0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SER205-16-1-ER16-Insert-Ball-Bearing-With-Snap-Ring-NEW-ER205-16/291415817563?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D53210%26meid%3Db3e1c04fd9d140fb8588df6ef1097159%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D280300800190%26itm%3D291415817563&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

Kewl_Wheels

Dakota that is awesome Thank you!
Now I can get some pieces ordered and should have the column ready by the time the power steering box comes home.