Main Menu

70 Challenger (someday)

Started by Kewl_Wheels, January 28, 2018, 10:52:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Kewl_Wheels

Steering column is rebuilt! And my firm feel upgraded gearbox is on it's way home.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Kewl_Wheels

And the black seal came with a cool sticker for the cabinet!

Kewl_Wheels

Hey guy's I hope everyone is well.

So here it is. Looks like new, Firm Feel did a real nice job. Can't wait to someday be able to actually drive this thing on the road so I can actually see how it feels. I think that natural finish is cool so it's just getting clearcoat.

kawahonda

Great progress! I see my tips!
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

usraptor

Nice job on the steering column rebuild! :bigthumb:

RJChallenger

Awesome work your doing there.I get motivated just reading your post. Is that the original steering box to the car? I ask because I also owe a 70 challenger and have a steering box with a similar date code , I just spent $400 to rebuild it, only to learn it may not be original to the car. Thanks and keep up the awesome job.

Kewl_Wheels

I really have no idea if its original to this car...
I started with a shell of a car and a small pile of parts, this box was with it so I'm cleaning up and trying to use as much as I can that I got with it.
Original setup was a 225 slant 6 small rear axle and a/c.

So far I think this is not bad.

Kewl_Wheels

Hey guys I seem to think I remember the power steering box bolts weren't just plain 7/16x14 bolts just anyone recall something about that?

anlauto

Quote from: Kewl_Wheels on August 05, 2018, 03:44:31 PM
Hey guys I seem to think I remember the power steering box bolts weren't just plain 7/16x14 bolts just anyone recall something about that?

In 1970 they used a 12 point 1/2 head bolt. 71+ used the standard 6 point 3/4 head.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Kewl_Wheels

Thanks!

Kewl_Wheels

Kind of glad I pulled the header I have a little bit of exhaust leakage. These headman headers  weren't quite flat. A little file and stone work cleaned them up a bit. A Bridgeport at home sure would come in handy once.
Probably not the most fun I could have had tonight, but it sure looks nice!

Kewl_Wheels

Making it a late night here feeling like I'm getting somewhere... added some hoses and pretty much the rest of the steering components.
Good enough for pushing it around the garage. And the rearend is filled.

Kewl_Wheels

Here we go moving along, almost forgot to paint the master I was so ready to install it.  I figured while the spray can was out I might as well do all the steering linkage cotter pins.

usraptor

I like your attention to detail!  :worship:  That's going to be very fine Chally when you're done.   :bigthumb:

Cudakiller70

I only dream of doing detailed work like that. Thanks for posting, going to be a sweet car when done. Nice work lights too, years ago I didn't need any lights, now I light up everything.