Main Menu

'70 Hemi Challenger (SS/D and SS/DA car driven by Lee Cameron of Sacramento, CA)

Started by HemiStan, January 05, 2018, 02:17:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GCragtop

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

HemiStan

Here's a quick video of the '66 that I took on the day after Christmas while my folks were down from upstate NY.  Dad is driving in this video.  It was cold out that day....   Like 36 degrees...  But not too cold to cruise around all day with the windows rolled down being super cool!  Dad and I definitely put a few miles on the car that week!  And definitely left lots of burnt rubber on the road....

I put that car together right before Carlisle last year.  487 ci Hemi, solid roller cam, twin disc clutch, open headers, slicks, "slick shift" four speed, etc.  What is very cool is that it is all "original" and date coded.  Carbs, intake, heads, block, transmission, Dana, two build sheets, nice fender tag, etc.  It is a very "hot" street car.   I drive it alot.  I drive it to work which is about 50 minutes one way.  Open headers and all.....

I have a few videos on YouTube.  None of them are very great but just some quick cell phone videos. 

Stan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDs2ocmZAcY

HemiStan

I have done a little bit of work on the Challenger but not too much.  I needed to take a break.  And my bank account needed to take a break.....   I did get the Dana cleaned up and put back under it.  As I was cleaning up the vintage SS springs, I noticed some of the 1971 tangerine/orange paint scheme remaining on them.  Very cool.

I quickly polished up a set of 15x8.5 M/T ET wheels and mounted up a set of used slicks just have something shiny to look at.  I will probably not end up using these wheels (unilug) but the cost was right for mock-up purposes (zero $).   

I also pulled out the '70 block and '65 A990 aluminum heads that came from Dick Landy Industries.  I am still deciding what direction I am going with the car but it will be heavy duty.

Stan

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Brads70

Your 66 looks tough as nails too! Love it!  You seem to be a bit of a Hemi guy? LOL  :clapping:

GCragtop

HemiStan

I can't believe it has been nearly a year since I updated this......    It has been a busy year.    But I have been making progress!  I am officially in the mock-up stage.  I am test fitting EVERY part before I blow it all apart and start block sanding it.  My goal was to paint it this Spring but I don't think my work schedule will allow it.  Work has been crazy....    Hopefully I can paint it in the Fall and start the assembly process. 

My folks were down from NY for Christmas this week so I literally had my Mom, Dad, Wife and Son use a rope like a set of workhorses to pull the Challenger out of the garage for a few photos.  I wasn't pulling because someone had to steer the front tires......    I wish I had taken a few photos of that....    Thank you everyone!  As you can see, the '66 Hemi has been replaced with a '69 model.  Super fun!!!......

Here is where we are at:

Front and rear suspension/steering is completely rebuilt and ready to go.   Transmission is ready to go.  Radiator is re-cored and ready to go.  Dash pad is ready to go. 

Hood hinges have been rebuilt (Thanks Rick Kreuziger!!)  What an amazing job! I can't believe how much better they work!  A special thanks goes out to member Dakota for providing the hood hinge springs (free of charge!).  I owe him a beverage!

I also want to thank Jon Soullier at Roseville for really outstanding customer service.   I highly recommend them!!

Stan

Chryco Psycho

I like the slicks & the slots !!
Hemi looks killer of course !!
Great looking 69 too  :bigthumb:

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

anlauto

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on December 28, 2018, 05:53:39 PM
Dang that looks good. What colour scheme are you going with?

I was just going to asked the same thing....original blue or the race car robes ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

HemiStan

Happy New Year everyone! 

I am pretty sure it will be going back to B5 blue.  A few years ago I thought I might put it back to the race paint style but I have decided against it.  I really plan on driving this car a lot.  I am ready to do sone road trips!

I am debating on whether or not to put a white stripe along the side......   It was a stripe delete car but I do like the stripe.......     I still have some time to think about it.

RUNCHARGER

Everything looks good on the fit up. I lusted after that car with it's race colours. I can understand living with it would be a different deal though.
Sheldon

HemiStan

Happy New Year everyone!

I know that it has been a loooong time since I have updated this thread but I have actually been making progress!  Work has been crazy this year.  I am pretty sure that I have spent over 200 days away from home this year.  Crazy....

Anyways, mock-up is in full swing.  Trim is getting installed, Hemi, 18 spline, and Dana are mocked up.  I am currently working on the dash, door and quarter window regulators and glass, steering column, etc. 

Here are a few photos I took yesterday morning.