Main Menu

'70 Vert - waited long enough...

Started by Cuda416, September 09, 2020, 10:15:06 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Quote from: Cuda416 on September 10, 2020, 06:59:03 AM
Quote from: anlauto on September 10, 2020, 06:55:01 AM
I restored this 318 3spd Barracuda....but as you might have guess, it now spouts a 4 speed behind a 360.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say publicly that looking at the cars you have done on your web site, is frickin' inspirational.

Thank you, not everybody would agree.... :haha: :haha: but thanks ! :drinkingbud:

With the help of Keith Sim, we've restored some pretty rusty cars... :tool:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda416

Quote from: Cuda_mark on September 10, 2020, 06:57:53 AM
I'm in the middle of finishing off my 70 Vert. A couple of notes:
- A lot of "stuff" is one year only 70 specific. It depends on how detailed you want to get but, for example, the trunk floor pan is different on a 70 vs 71-74. And not all 70's were different, depends on when they were built.
- Some of the hard to find vert specific parts - the rear interior panels, if you want originals. Almost impossible to find nowadays. Also, the top weatherstripping if you want originals. I've heard that the aftermarket stuff doesn't fit very well. If you have usable weatherstripping on your top, make sure you treat it like unobtainium. And, of course the glass is all vert specific but you can run into sets of that. I have a driver quality set of clear glass if you need it.

Also, @Convertcuda Ken makes rear quarters that are exact copies of original vert quarters. You might want to look into those. Ken also is a wealth of knowledge on convertibles so, if you need anything, reach out to him.

Luckily I have all of the vert specific stuff. My rear panels have the typical speaker holes, so I'll just put some speakers in and call it good. If I were to find a good set I'd think about replacing them.

Ken knows his stuff for sure. Spoke to him years ago and he explained his process (in general). Pretty cool stuff. Most of my seals are pretty ratty but I'll be sure to tread carefully going forward.

I knew about the front floorpan being different, but not the trunk. What's different? I'm not going to be that picky I don't think. I've got the dynacorn rear assembly so the plan is toss it in and weld it as is. hopefully since the DC assembly is for a 70 challenger, it's "right".

My "vert specific glass" is good as well thanks God. I'll need a windshield but there's no difference in that.
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

RUNCHARGER

Exciting project. I'm not sure if I could have held off that long to do it. The good thing is parts availability of this stuff is as good as it will ever get right now. AMD is cancelling alot of their excellent Mopar metal so buy anything you might need right now.
Sheldon

Cuda_mark

I knew about the front floorpan being different, but not the trunk. What's different?
[/quote]

Its just the hole locations. I don't know exactly when they cut over to the 71 version. Also, make sure you reuse your spare tire hold down since that is convertible specific.

Cuda416

Quote from: Cuda_mark on September 10, 2020, 11:18:45 AM

I knew about the front floorpan being different, but not the trunk. What's different?

Its just the hole locations. I don't know exactly when they cut over to the 71 version. Also, make sure you reuse your spare tire hold down since that is convertible specific.
[/quote]

Gotcha, yeah, the assembly from DC has it in the correct place for a 70 then.
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

Xghobo

Good luck with this awesome project. Here is what I dragged home 10 years ago. I will have to start a build thread when I get some time.

Bpret

Yes I left it stock. It's a numbers matching 340 3spd with a 323 rear. It's one of 19 made. Power nothing :tired: with 3 options Rallye dash am radio and vitamin C orange paint.

anlauto

When I restored the above purple 3spd one, I wanted to make a custom round bar shifter handle with the factory looking ball on top for the upgraded 4 speed transmission...but everybody loves that pistol grip  :'(  so I lost that suggestion pretty quick  ::)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Bpret

The 3 speed isn't bad to drive other than sounding like an old Jeep in first gear. Because the car is so odd and remained number matching I wanted to leave it stock. I wish it was ordered with a 4spd but I guess this makes it rare.

Cuda416

It's motivating to see all of the other e body verts that are as bad, or at least near as bad as mine. Every once in a while, I go look at it and get in this mode of "No wonder my wife cried when I brought it home (literally), what the hell have I done...". Seeing this stuff just shows it can be done. Full steam ahead.

:wrenching:

-=C
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

RUNCHARGER

Lol: It's pretty common to see bad convt. projects, you are not alone.
Sheldon

Cuda416

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 11, 2020, 07:03:43 AM
Lol: It's pretty common to see bad convt. projects, you are not alone.

So I am learning.  :handshake:
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

340challconvert

Never too late
I had my A66 vert in storage since 1984 and only took it out of storage to work on 4 1/2 years ago! Finally working on her.

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Bpret

I laughed out loud at your comment my wife cried. My wife didn't this time with the convertible because I brought this home two years earlier and finished it in two years

Convertcuda

Hi Everyone,

Sorry just got the message. If you need help with E-body convertibles I have them. I make 80 percent of the all pieces factory correct. Have 5 parts cars if interested.

Ken 715-432-5080 or convertcuda@gmail.com