Main Menu

'70 Vert - waited long enough...

Started by Cuda416, September 09, 2020, 10:15:06 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70vert

@Cuda416  Whew, thought you were calling me out when I saw the title LOL

My convertible also was a disaster when I got it, way back in 1988. I literally drug it out of a back yard, with no top & no drivetrain. So lots of rust and rotted interior but no wreck damage. Wish I had some pics but that wasn't really a thing back then. Although it had the fender tag (no build sheet) I decided to go "resto-mod" since nothing was going to be original or numbers matching. And I am happy I did, takes a lot of pressure off and cuts down on the criticism on what's not correct. Anyway, I love it and drive it all the time!

Cuda416

Hah, no way man, no me..

That's gorgeous!

Every time I see a car like that with a similar story as mine, it's a little bit more motivation, so thanks for that.

I'm hoping to make some real progress on my jig this week so I'll some better pictures as I do.
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

70vert

Thanks. BTW, mine spent several years in my 1 car garage before I did an "at home" build to get it driveable. I finally did a full rotisserie about 9 years ago and still a work in progress. Just remember there will lots of decisions, some wrong, and lots of frustrations but it will all be worth it.
Good luck and keep us posted (especially if you need any parts).

Quote from: Cuda416 on July 13, 2021, 08:17:10 AM
Hah, no way man, no me..

That's gorgeous!

Every time I see a car like that with a similar story as mine, it's a little bit more motivation, so thanks for that.

I'm hoping to make some real progress on my jig this week so I'll some better pictures as I do.

Cuda416

Made some progress, not much, but some and that's better then none... ok. I'm done...

Mocked up a cross beam to make things were going to work.

Hopefully I'll get some of it burned in this weekend.
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

Cuda416

Made some progress on my jig finally. The sides are tacked and waiting for some final parts/decisions before final burn.

Got the "cross beams" done. These will lay across the jig and allow for locating the "stand offs" wherever i want them to be.

U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

Cuda416

Made some more progress on the jig today. Cross beam clamps all tacked and ready burn.

U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

YellowThumper

Good to see some progress.
Interested to see the final setup.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Cuda416

Thanks, just truing to take some bites off the elephant when I can.

Here is one of the clamps mocked up for fit. The short piece of 2x2 tube is just some scrap I had laying around. The actual jig base is 2x2x0.180 wall. Still working out a "good" way to build the ends. I have a few ideas and will finalize on something soon. The width of the base isn't that important. Obviously I don't want it too narrow, but I don't want it to get in the way either. I'm thinking 48 inches at the moment. The cross beams are 60 inches long.
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

Cuda416

More progress. Every little bit keeps me moving in the right direction.

The smaller parts are what will support the center section of the car. The larger parts will receive swappable standoffs depending on the car requirements. They will all get welded to 4x6 .25 plates once I get home and drill some holes for mounting them to the cross beams.

U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

YellowThumper

I oddly like working with this heavy stuff.
Nothing as structured as your doing. But have made work tables, home made bending brake. An A frame hoist and now overbuilding a jacuuzi surround.

Sorry....  Squirrel... now back to your regularly scheduled build.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Cuda416

Hah, yeah me too. If it wasn't so dang hot out in the barn I'd make better progress. Last night I re-made the plates for the 8 standoffs. Burned up an angle grinder along the way. Luckily I had another with a flap disc handy.

The jig will be seriously over built, but if I'm going to put effort into it, I'm not half-assing it. it's going to hold my vert after all.

My overall guiding principal with this is I need to be able to take it apart and stash it out of the way. I had only to finalize the details on the ends and yesterday I believe I figured out the way forward in that regard.

More to come.
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

RacerX

Very nice...    :twothumbsup:

And I thought my frame rack was over-engineered!     :smile:

Are you planning to do more cars after this one or just going for maximum versatility and keeping your options open?

Cuda416

Thanks!

I have the Cuda right now, and then a 69 dart vert I might work on unless I sell it to fund the Cuda. This was originally for the cuda but as you said, both versatility and  keeping my options open were both key issues. With the condition of project cars getting worse, i can see this thing being needed again someday.
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

RacerX

Quote from: Cuda416 on August 05, 2021, 02:22:02 PM
Thanks!

I have the Cuda right now, and then a 69 dart vert I might work on unless I sell it to fund the Cuda. This was originally for the cuda but as you said, both versatility and  keeping my options open were both key issues. With the condition of project cars getting worse, i can see this thing being needed again someday.

That was pretty much what I had in mind when building mine.  I have two more cars to do, '70 Challenger and a '74 Roadrunner.  I am hoping they do not need the level of work that the 'cuda is needing but wanted something that could be used for them if necessary.

After these three I am done...    hahaha     This is interesting work but only because it is MY car...  I could never summon the motivation to do this on other people's cars.      :bricks:

Cuda416

Made some progress on the end pieces. Stinking blade wore down (abrasive POS) so I called it a night. I try to not fight the universe sometimes. I'll get a thin kerf blade after work and cut the other end. Plan is to mock the whole thing up this weekend before final burn.
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant