Main Menu

73 Challenger, going to be a long journey I think.

Started by Premix, March 08, 2017, 12:06:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JS29

Quote from: torredcuda on March 11, 2017, 03:38:40 AM
You should probably get it checked out on a frame rack, looks to have taken a front end hit at some point and could be out of spec.
:iagree:  Was thinking the same thing, easier now than after it is all welded up.

Premix

Quote from: JS29 on March 11, 2017, 07:56:32 AM
Quote from: torredcuda on March 11, 2017, 03:38:40 AM
You should probably get it checked out on a frame rack, looks to have taken a front end hit at some point and could be out of spec.
:iagree:  Was thinking the same thing, easier now than after it is all welded up.

Thanks guys,
I took your advice and stripped the paint and underseal off to find a few horrors  :('
It's had a couple of hits, one in the right frame rail and one in the left. The left was covered up with a metal plate and painted over!

What am I looking at cost wise guys, this is starting to get scary now. Is it straightforward to replace the front rails?

:tired:

Premix

Quote from: jimynick on March 10, 2017, 02:43:51 PM
Don't feel too bad, it's 20F and lightly snowing here in the Great White North (Canada). The broadcast sheets were usually jammed into the bottom of the rear seat upper cushion or in one of the front seats or, apparently, over the glove box occasionally and they contain all the info as to your particular car and all it's options. As for engine bolts, you can use hardware store bolts and they'll work fine to put it on the engine stand or, remove and use the ones currently holding the engine to the trans. It looks like yours was hit in the rt hinge pillar area previously and they didn't repair the outer panels as they were covered by the fender. Just make sure there's no cracked seams in the area if you choose to leave it. nice car to start off with though!  :cheers:

Looks like you were right, cracked frame rails, left and right  :bigmoney:

Cuda Cody

There's a couple ways to help that frame rail.  Replacing would be a lot of work, but it would solve that weaken area.  You might be able to add a brace to it and stiffen it up.  But either way, you'll most likely want to put it on the frame rack and have it checked to make sure everything is where it needs to be. 

Can you post some more photos of the underside and backside of the damaged frame rail?

Premix

Right side frame rail:

Premix

Left side frame rail:

Premix

I'm gutted, I paid way too much for this car, it's too embarrassing to even tell you  :-X

turbostang7

IMO if you aren't going for a show winning car, just a nice car. I would repair the right side, fish plate it for strength etc. But the left side I would swap. It looks more damaged than its worth trying to repair it to me.

Cuda Cody

Everything can be fixed.  Just take a second to think this over.  Might be worth having someone local that has a frame rack take a peek at it.  There's 2 levels of repair that you can do.  One is to make sure it's structurally sounds and a frame rack guy should be able to help you with that.  The other is to replace it completely so it's structurally and visually repaired.  Either way, you want it to be safe when you drive it.

Premix

Thanks guys, I think I'd have to agree with turbostang7, the right so far appears structurally sound, although that might change once I've got the paint off! The left I think is too far gone to try and do anything with.
I'm going to make some calls on Monday to see if any of the race shops have the correct dimensions for a challenger to check if it's not too far out already. Trustworthy garages are few and far between here and not many will even entertain an old car or if they do they will charge an arm and a leg!

nsmall

These cars are expensive to restore and there are always problems that you don't anticipate.

However they are absolutely beautiful cars and I'm assuming if you live in the United Kingdom there aren't a whole lot of E-bodies running around?

On that note, don't give up yet. How bad do you want to restore this car? It may take all you got.  I'm in the same boat as you with a 73 Cuda.

Ask around... I'm sure you can find someone who's reasonable to take a look at your frame rails.

Good luck.  I'm cheering for you.

soundcontrol

Following this, my next is a 73. Too bad about the rails. Other than that it looks like a nice project. Way better than mine.

Premix

Thanks guys for the kind words and the encouragement  :bigthumb: I do want to save the car, I'm not one to do half measures but it may take some time depending on the cost.

I managed to find some measurements for the challenger so I'll be checking everything myself initially.

I'm looking at the LH frame rail and inner fender from US Tools @ $774.99, what do you think, good buy or is there better out there? Obviously I have to add ridiculous shipping costs and import duty's on the price  ::)

ChallengerHK

:iagree:  when Tony got into my car he found a bent inner fender and rail in the front right.  I remembered slamming the car into a xurb in 1980 when he told me, but it had completely slipped my mind, and this wasmy own car.

Cuda Cody

Might want to check with @MoparDave  and see if he can save you any money of the sheet metal and or shipping.   :notsure:

Quote from: Premix on March 12, 2017, 03:42:14 PM
Thanks guys for the kind words and the encouragement  :bigthumb: I do want to save the car, I'm not one to do half measures but it may take some time depending on the cost.

I managed to find some measurements for the challenger so I'll be checking everything myself initially.

I'm looking at the LH frame rail and inner fender from US Tools @ $774.99, what do you think, good buy or is there better out there? Obviously I have to add ridiculous shipping costs and import duty's on the price  ::)