Main Menu

73 Challenger, going to be a long journey I think.

Started by Premix, March 08, 2017, 12:06:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Premix

Thanks for the kind words guys and the good advice  :worship:

It helps a great deal to know your here when I need advice. TBH I might have walked away from the thing but looking at some of the projects that some of you do on here def gives me a much needed boost. I ok with the mechanical stuff but I've never got involved with bodywork before so I've a lot to learn.

rhamson

Quote from: jimynick on March 31, 2017, 08:27:24 PM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on March 31, 2017, 03:56:11 PM
:iagree:  It's best to keep as much metal attached while doing repairs.  That helps keep everything straight.   :alan2cents:
Yep, and don't be afraid to walk away from the damn thing once in a while either. It'll give your mind, conscience and wallet a needed rest. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will be your Barneymobile. I know what it's like to do just as you said and find rust upon rust and you're right, it's demoralizing and you'd be less than human to not feel that way. BUT, it's also like Cody mentioned, learn to compartmentalize it and finish one area before finding more misery and one day, believe it or not, you WILL get there and you'll be able to look back and derive great satisfaction in your considerable accomplishments. Keep the faith laddie, keep the faith and you'll get there one day.  :twothumbsup:   :cheers:
:iagree: I have found this to be the best advice as you delve into it. I thought I had hit a wall when I found out the frame on the front was bent and then the cost and even finding anybody locally to fix it totally exasperated me. I sat back and thought it through and it is rewarding trust me. Walk away for a bit and collect your thoughts is good advice.

RUNCHARGER

I don't think I have ever walked away from a project for more than a day. I see way too many cut up projects never get finished. I have never not finished a car that I started, there's nothing you can do but keep digging at them when they kick sand in your face.
Sheldon

rhamson

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on April 01, 2017, 07:01:13 AM
I don't think I have ever walked away from a project for more than a day. I see way too many cut up projects never get finished. I have never not finished a car that I started, there's nothing you can do but keep digging at them when they kick sand in your face.
:iagree: I find this as being true also. I suffered from the same thing happening but many times it was for lack of finances to continue. I try to work up to that stoppage despite it though. :deadhorse:

soundcontrol

Quote from: Premix on April 01, 2017, 04:02:29 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys and the good advice  :worship:

It helps a great deal to know your here when I need advice. TBH I might have walked away from the thing but looking at some of the projects that some of you do on here def gives me a much needed boost. I ok with the mechanical stuff but I've never got involved with bodywork before so I've a lot to learn.

Same here, I built engines and done all mechanic work since I was young, but never bodywork, until now, I'l learning as I go, going pretty good, it's not rocket science, I like it. I'm even thinking about painting the car myself. How hard can it be....blow some paint on a car.  :dunno:

Premix

Same here, I built engines and done all mechanic work since I was young, but never bodywork, until now, I'l learning as I go, going pretty good, it's not rocket science, I like it. I'm even thinking about painting the car myself. How hard can it be....blow some paint on a car.  :dunno:
[/quote]

Good to hear, your def way ahead of me in learning how to sort the bodywork, your doing a great job there soundcontrol  :bigthumb: I'd like to have a go at the paint on mine when the time comes but it's always so damp here, I'll prob stick with getting it sprayed in a heated booth. It'll be a long long time before I need to decide on that  :wrenching:

soundcontrol

I know people that paint here, I can rent their booth and equipment, and get good advise. I'll just make a practice run first on my wifes car!  :haha:

RUNCHARGER

Spray primer first. Then colour spray under the hood, in the trunk, floor etc. to get a feel for it and all the things that can go wrong. The actual spraying isn't hard, you just need a steady hand and keep the speed, overlap and distance right. There are however a lot of details that can go wrong and whatever time you spend prepping isn't ever enough!
Sheldon

Premix

Quote from: soundcontrol on April 01, 2017, 04:41:36 PM
I know people that paint here, I can rent their booth and equipment, and get good advise. I'll just make a practice run first on my wifes car!  :haha:

I'm sure she'll appreciate that!  :o 

soundcontrol

Quote from: Premix on April 02, 2017, 05:47:10 AM

She wouldn't know, I'll do it at night and she gets up to go to work an find a Plum Crazy Prius with an R/T stripe in her spot!  :haha:

Premix

Quote from: soundcontrol on April 02, 2017, 07:52:29 AM
Quote from: Premix on April 02, 2017, 05:47:10 AM

She wouldn't know, I'll do it at night and she gets up to go to work an find a Plum Crazy Prius with an R/T stripe in her spot!  :haha:

Now that we would all have to see  :yes: 8)

nsmall

This is advice coming from a guy whose finally going to begin his first restoration, so Im no expert....BUT maybe dont have firm deadlines.  I did and that was stressing me out.

Find the right person to help you, shop around.

And another vote here to hit PAUSE and make your repairs before you go any further.

I am inspired by your spirit of not giving up.  Thanks

soundcontrol

Very good advise ! Any small progress is a nice step forward.

Premix

Quote from: nsmall on April 02, 2017, 08:57:35 PM
This is advice coming from a guy whose finally going to begin his first restoration, so Im no expert....BUT maybe dont have firm deadlines.  I did and that was stressing me out.

Find the right person to help you, shop around.

And another vote here to hit PAUSE and make your repairs before you go any further.

I am inspired by your spirit of not giving up.  Thanks

Thanks nsmall, tbh I don't really have any deadlines with this one, just rolling with it and what ever it throws at me.

I've a good friend that gives up his time to help me when he can, that really pushes things along as he's like a machine.

I cut off the remaining front rails today and decided to replace the whole floor rather than patch it, the rear footwells were getting thin anyway. Plus with the floor out the way it'll be easier to put the new rails in and clean up the crossmember etc...

Premix

Just to give you guys an idea of shipping costs to the U.K  :rofl: