Main Menu

A.G.A.R. 1970 Barracuda Convertible.....IMPORTANT UPDATE !!

Started by anlauto, May 18, 2017, 03:04:41 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

Yes: I bought a MIG welder before a lot of local bodyshops had them. A lot of experts told me to overlap rather than butt weld too. Too their credit though, these cars were only designed to go 100,000 miles and maybe last 10 years when new.
Sheldon

YYZ

All things considered it doesn't look that bad.  Keith will make it solid and strong again.

It's always interesting how E-bodies don't always rust consistently.  For example, the cowl looks pretty good, and considering the other damage, one would expect the drain area below the wiper motor to be completely rotted out.   Yet it seems to be mint, along with the majority of the firewall.

Timbbuc2

Hey @anlauto , this is not the first car to come in boxes. Mine did too, only difference is my boxes are coming one at a time.   :haha::takemymoney:
Get in, I'll drive

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Thanks Alan. It's always fun to watch the progress on your projects.
Sheldon

anlauto

After an exhausting amount of metal work...member @ErikR 's 1970 Barracuda is finally off to the body shop.....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

With all the body panels in place, lined up and ready to go....Keith Sim can finally call it quits...

anlauto

Body and paint work on this one will be handled by Neil's Autobody in Burlington, the same guys who painted that red Challenger convertible for me last year...

RJChallenger

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 17, 2017, 07:42:43 AM
Thanks Alan. It's always fun to watch the progress on your projects.
That's why I have delivered /picked up stuff from Alan in the past. He has really cool cars that you can admire , crawl under to see just how its done , He gets free delivery , I get a free education.

jimynick

Hey Alan, is Neil himself around the shop still these days or is Bill running the whole show? I always liked Neil and he's got some great car stories to tell if you ever get the chance to get him talking! They did a 55 Chrysler that they have some tales to tell, ask Bill.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

anlauto

Quote from: jimynick on January 07, 2019, 07:38:39 PM
Hey Alan, is Neil himself around the shop still these days or is Bill running the whole show? I always liked Neil and he's got some great car stories to tell if you ever get the chance to get him talking! They did a 55 Chrysler that they have some tales to tell, ask Bill.  :cheers:

@jimynick  is there anybody shop guys you don't know ? :huh:

Funny you ask, because Neil is still at the shop most days, although I didn't see him last time I was there....Last Summer I could barely get away because he wouldn't stop talking about car stories....Bill was just laughing at me because he knew I wanted to leave, but Neil was going on and on....hard to believe he's been in that same location since the late 60's... :yes:

larry4406

Nice job Alan..

Are the vert quarters Ken's conversions or did your shop convert them?  If the later, any detail step by step pictures?

anlauto

Quote from: larry4406 on January 08, 2019, 03:04:29 AM
Nice job Alan..

Are the vert quarters Ken's conversions or did your shop convert them?  If the later, any detail step by step pictures?

My guy, Keith Sim has the proper equipment to make them, (about six hours a side) sorry I don't have step by step photos.

We installed Ken's in the past as well (customer insisted) but it adds a significant cost to the restoration.

js27

So Alan,
Have you ever got a rust free car to work on ?? LOL
JS27

anlauto

Quote from: js27 on January 11, 2019, 11:48:16 AM
So Alan,
Have you ever got a rust free car to work on ?? LOL
JS27

The AAR Cuda I'm doing currently for member SYDWAZ is about the closest thing to "rust free"    however I haven't had it blasted yet ... :o