Main Menu

And The Journey Begins

Started by SRT392, February 27, 2021, 07:53:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

SRT392

finished up the clean up from the removal of the old tail light panel and did the initial fitting.  only some minor adjustments so the AMD tail light pnl seems to be good. i'll get this final fit done and prepped this weekend and spot welded in then on to the drivers quarter pnl...

usraptor

WOW! You're not letting any grass grow under your feet.  Very nice progress!  :twothumbsup:

SRT392

got the trunk floor and tail light pnl spot welded in so everything is stable again and wanted to see what i was going to deal with under the beat up/rotted 1/4 pnl. and surprise it  was in awesome shape. just a very little patch repair on the very bottom of the wheel house.. the rockers were in perfect condition..

Dakota

This is probably the first time I've read about someone opening up an interior body panel and finding things in good condition.    :bradsthumb:   That's great news.

Shoooter

What a good starting point! It really keeps the momentum going.

cudamadd

Great body one of the better ones I have seen in a long time . You are so far in front with that body in that condition Awsome  moving along very well cheers :australia:

SRT392

so today was rebuild the bottom of the wheelhouse. Crud got packed in on the drivers side and the water did the rest. at least it didn't take out the rocker. just some localized pitting which i'll repair next. first is what i started with and then how it turned out...

SRT392

ok, so this week in preparation for removing the drivers 1/4 pnl i built up this frame jig to hold it in place. Used a laser level to get a level ref line on the 8 posts so now will level the body and then check all the dimensions to make sure its still straight then lock it down and remove the 1/4 and replace with new one.  Frame jig is fully adjustable for any car.... most of the steal came from my scrap pile but i did have to get 25 ft of 2x2 1/8 wall. wow 25 ft is now $250.....  i'd hate to see what lumber is doing....

SRT392

well the 1/4 is all removed and everything got cleaned up repaired as required and the first fitting of the new one...  very close only some minor alterations and then tag it in.   Then off the jig and onto the rotisserie. 

YellowThumper

Quote from: SRT392 on May 27, 2021, 08:13:49 PM
ok, so this week in preparation for removing the drivers 1/4 pnl i built up this frame jig to hold it in place. Used a laser level to get a level ref line on the 8 posts so now will level the body and then check all the dimensions to make sure its still straight then lock it down and remove the 1/4 and replace with new one.  Frame jig is fully adjustable for any car.... most of the steal came from my scrap pile but i did have to get 25 ft of 2x2 1/8 wall. wow 25 ft is now $250.....  i'd hate to see what lumber is doing....

A+ moving right along.
Gotta ask what the buck is for?
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

SRT392

that's not a Buck but its a WWII Stearman Biplane wing. Its number two and i have 2 more to go.  about one per winter...if you want a pic i'll put one up...

YellowThumper

Quote from: SRT392 on May 30, 2021, 06:30:55 PM
that's not a Buck but its a WWII Stearman Biplane wing. Its number two and i have 2 more to go.  about one per winter...if you want a pic i'll put one up...
No pic needed for me. But very cool. I had always wanted to build a miniature.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

SRT392

can anyone help me out with the distance from the bottom of the stick to the top of the latch bracket??? i need this to finish the repair of the bracket and install it...

SRT392

HELP,   Hey folks i need the measurement in the picture..   The picture is for ref only and to show what i need.  this is for a 70 Cuda.  can someone put a stick on their car and get a measurement???

benguin

Let me know if I am measuring at your target spots- from the edge of the bracket for the latch, I'm seeing 5.2cm per the caliper (right at about 2.05").

Glad to get additional measurements if that will help.
   Ben