Main Menu

And The Journey Begins

Started by SRT392, February 27, 2021, 07:53:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

SRT392

got it back from the dipper and the journey begins.  No surprises, very solid car. needs Lt rear 1/4 pnl and some repair here and there. trunk floor gone but everything else came out great. Don't need to to work on frame rails or floor pans.  more pics as i get going.

SRT392

couple more

dodj

Quote from: SRT392 on February 27, 2021, 07:53:26 AM
got it back from the dipper and the journey begins.  No surprises, very solid car.
:twothumbsup: Excellent. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say 'no surprises' after getting the car stripped....
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

What's your plan for sealing it up ? I would guess that's the next step ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

usraptor

Very good solid platform to work with!  :twothumbsup:

SRT392

First all the repairs..  new rear 1/4 pnl, trunk floor and tail light pnl.  other repairs as required.  then Cody gave me the name of some 3M sealant that i'll try and use in my glue injector i made for wood aircraft wings.. i turn it up to 135 psi and the glue gets into everything.. the glue has the same consistency as the sealant so it should get into the seams. then clean up the laps and make it pretty. first up get all the welding done..

Rich G.

Looks good, I remember when I got my 51 Dodge pickup dipped when there was a place in NJ to do it. Boy was I sick when I got it back. Not a speck of rust but lots of Swiss cheese! You'll have to find a way to coat all those hidden panels on the back side. To bad there's no place that also dips in an E coat afterwards.

SRT392

Ok, so today was spent in the shop building Stearman wings and in-between i started in on the Cuda.  Started taking out the trunk floor and everything else in really good shape. Frame rails and trunk floor/fuel tank stiffeners in great shape so this may go easier than i expected. 

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

YellowThumper

Hard to put a price tag on starting with solid foundation.
In for this build.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

SRT392

anybody have a front section of a drivers side fender that i can section into my original?  the rest of the fender is in excellent shape and i don't want to spend 700 to 1000 for a repop that probably won't fit.   i do have nice rt and lt doors and base hood that came with the project that are extra if someone can use them...

usraptor

Your trunk reminds me of how mine looked when I got it.  Swiss cheese but like yours the frame rails were good.  Keep up the good work.  :twothumbsup:

SRT392

couple pics of the trunk floor removal. Everything underneath was in great shape so it was just a clean and prep for primer. Got the AMD trunk floor and it fit very well. had to fix one corner from shipping damage but the rest of the fit was real good. new trunk extensions (came with the project) from Year One kinda fit but will need some work. repaired all the brackets and other parts from removal (spot welds) and rust damage and will now make a fixture to apply pressure to both sides so i get good contact for my spot welder. After trunk floor then tail light panel and last the drivers 1/4 panel..

SRT392

New trunk floor and trunk floor extensions installed fitted and spot welded in for the last time.  Once everything was in and tied up i cut out the tail light panel to fit the new one. When that's in I'll take off the driver's quarter and replace it.

SRT392

Also sectioned in a patch panel below the lowest body line and saved the rest of the quarter on the pass side..