Main Menu

And The Journey Begins

Started by SRT392, February 27, 2021, 07:53:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70vert

Well I'm a Blue fan, have Deep Water Blue Pearl on my 70 Challenger.

I am just amazed at the effort and quality going into your build, I am not a paint & body guy. Great work!

nsmall

Looking great!!!!  really like your attention to detail.  I am going to vote for Blue, but that orange you have there on the list looks killer. 

I say do what you want, thats what I did and I have zero regrets. 

SRT392

Thanks All,   i can do all the metal fixing part real easy as well as the primmer and first block but the finish fill prime and block i'll leave to the paint guys.  i don't have a booth for this kind of painting.     Also thought about Black..  Black and a Cuda just work but i don't want to be cleaning it every day..  i'm tending towards the teal or the burnt orange.

anlauto

I like the burnt orange or the blue :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

YellowThumper

The tangerine color gets my vote.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

usraptor

I like the first color, metallic red (or Dodge's current Octane Red) or black.  My original 1970 Cuda was black and I swore I'd never have another black car and I didn't for 45 years until I painted my current Cuda.  I decided to go back to my roots and paint it black.  I get tons of compliments on the paint and body work at the car shows.  Since it spends most it's life under a car cover and with the advent of the "Calif Duster" it's really not that big of a deal as it was with my original "daily driver" '70 'Cuda.

SRT392

i love black and it looks great on a cuda.  i just hate taking care of black..  wish our 2012 SRT was that maroon color...

SRT392

Just an update.   things are progressing but the bodywork takes a lot of time..  The first block is done so its ready for the paint shop.  Not going to paint until i can drop the motor and tranny in and pre fit it.  waiting ( since Jan) for the QA1 engine mounts so i can get that done.  The overhauled 46RH showed up so its now attached to the new crate motor.

SRT392

Another update...   QA1 engine mounts showed up so it went together and dropped the body on it over the weekend. Only two small easy to rectify clearance  issues but no cutting involved.

SRT392

OK all,  while the cuda is at the paint shop i have been working on small parts for it.  one project that came up was modifying a different alternator for the 392 crate engine. Filthy Filbert here on the forum and i conspired and created a new machined alternator pully to allow for adapting  a 2006 Cherokee 5.7 / 6.1 alternator to the 392.  This allows you to use a different mounting position on the 392 and not have to cut the frame rail for clearance. below are some pics of the mod and Filthy Filbert has a few more pullies that he will sell.. He had them CNC made and they came out looking real nice. you can contact/PM either one of us for making the change.

The Alternator is a 160 amp  # 56044380 AC or 56044380AH  REMI 12656 I got off Rock Auto for around $105

Katfish

Looking good, it's nice you'll be able to change alternator in car.
With the factory set-up, I'll have to pull the motor if the alternator ever goes out.
Hopefully that never happens............

SRT392

Thanks Rod,  if you ever want to make the change let me know and i'll walk you thru it. not expensive at all.  will pass on some pics of the cuda in painting when painter gets back from SEMA.

Brads70

Quote from: SRT392 on November 02, 2023, 09:09:43 AM
OK all,  while the cuda is at the paint shop i have been working on small parts for it.  one project that came up was modifying a different alternator for the 392 crate engine. Filthy Filbert here on the forum and i conspired and created a new machined alternator pully to allow for adapting  a 2006 Cherokee 5.7 / 6.1 alternator to the 392.  This allows you to use a different mounting position on the 392 and not have to cut the frame rail for clearance. below are some pics of the mod and Filthy Filbert has a few more pullies that he will sell.. He had them CNC made and they came out looking real nice. you can contact/PM either one of us for making the change.

The Alternator is a 160 amp  # 56044380 AC or 56044380AH  REMI 12656 I got off Rock Auto for around $105

Nice work! I'm curious as to why you needed to machine a custom pulley? Was the one that came on the Jeep unit for a different belt?

anlauto

I think a little notch in the frame sounds a whole heck of a lot easier  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

SRT392

Alan,  a notch is easier but the goal here was to do as little permanent modifications as possible, so in the future if i find the original eng i can put it back and, it looks cleaner..  Brad,  the 5.7 /6.1 alt when it mounts isn't quite as long as the one that comes with the 392 crate motor. i spent HOURS searching for a pulley from anything that stood out a little more and came up empty. came close and used one to make a prototype from but just didn't like the way it looked. So we made one that looks like something that would have come from the factory. This also allows you to use the same belt that comes with the crate motor.