Main Menu

Another R/T going back on the road (finally)

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, December 12, 2018, 07:34:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

e_body70

Congrats on the sale!  A lot of Mopar's have been going to Sweden! My buddy sold his '70 Challenger R/T last year to a buyer in Sweden.

anlauto

That's awesome news....I've sold a car or two overseas as well....seems to be a lot of buyers over there. :bradsthumb:

Do you think you could have got a lot more if you had of finished the fenders etc ???
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: anlauto on October 06, 2019, 07:33:04 AM
That's awesome news....I've sold a car or two overseas as well....seems to be a lot of buyers over there. :bradsthumb:

Do you think you could have got a lot more if you had of finished the fenders etc ???

I think the looming trans rebuild and clutch replacement hurt it the most. The fenders definitely don't help but I got several compliments on the thoroughness of the ad so that might have helped offset the outer cosmetic stuff.

I thought it over and if I did the trans, clutch, fenders ($400 paint cost), along with the other little mechanical stuff leftover, I'd drop another $2k into it which might (if I'm lucky) get the selling price up to $29k so that would be very little extra profit for a lot of labor. Unless I had it professionally painted, I just can't see the car ever selling for more than $30k. That hits a hurdle that is hard to overcome unless the car is taken to another level.

I'm very happy with the $26k. I think it's a decent price for both of us and I'll bend over backwards to make sure the handoff goes smoothly. I drove the car 30 miles yesterday and I was really impressed with how nicely it drives. I think he's gonna be happy with it. I might toss a few extras in the trunk for him and offer to help him obtain things to ship back with the car. If I was him, I'd fill the trunk with big or heavy stuff since the shipping cost won't change. You can go broke shipping stuff overseas and this is a great way to get free shipping.

anlauto

Good call on the parts in the trunk....I would imagine even parts like a new clutch are expensive to get over there... :ohyeah:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Good job, too bad another one is leaving though.
Sheldon

70 Challenger Lover

I agree. I feel exactly the same way. There was a guy who drove a couple hours and looked at it earlier in the morning. He really liked it but wanted a few days to think it over. When I got the offer from the Swedish guy, I called the local guy out of courtesy and let him know that he got to it first if he really wanted it. He was a great guy and appreciated having first dibs to it but in the end, he just wasn't ready to pull the trigger at 26k, at least not on short notice. Too bad, I was hoping he'd grab it.

Sometimes I think we in the US are so used to getting super cheap goods from all over the world that we cringe at the high price of something like a classic car while the rest of the world sees it as the going price and is willing to pay it. Of course, Europeans don't have the volume of classic cars to choose from so maybe they are willing to pay more to get what they want.

RUNCHARGER

I know. I felt bad letting my orange car go to Europe as well. Up here in Canada though it's getting so we just can't afford cars after the govt. is done with us anymore.
Sheldon

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on October 06, 2019, 10:00:27 AM
I know. I felt bad letting my orange car go to Europe as well. Up here in Canada though it's getting so we just can't afford cars after the govt. is done with us anymore.

I think we are following suit. I could see a day when they force all cars regardless of age to be at a certain safety standard if it's on a public roadway. Imagine trying to retrofit your hemi Cuda with airbags, anti lock brakes, crumple zones. And wait till they make us add third brake lights! Lol