Main Menu

Barnfind 1970 Barracuda

Started by soundcontrol, March 07, 2020, 01:28:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

soundcontrol

Quote from: DeathProofCuda on June 29, 2020, 11:47:04 AM
Love the video.  Reminds me of my car, which is also originally FY1 (Lemon Twist) but now wearing a matte black finish.  Cracked dash and and steering wheel also look familiar.

Cool, a twin!  8)

soundcontrol

Got the plates, went to a small local car meet, gave my wife the first choice...
"I'll take the old one!" She said.  8)

DeathProofCuda

She sounds like a keeper.  I don't think I'd get that response from my wife, but then again I wouldn't be very comfortable letting my wife drive mine.

anlauto

I can't believe how fast you turned this car around...great job :worship: :twothumbsup: :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

soundcontrol

Thanks Alan! I wish I had that speed with the Challenger!

Trying to get a time for a front end adjustment before the weekend, wanna make a longer trip and the car is kinda all over the road, toe in is probably way off.
Wasn't it the setting s for a later Mustang people use when adding moderna rims/tires?

If I can't leave it to a shop, is there a way to check that at home and do a rough adjust?

RUNCHARGER

I set toe myself, I use a tape measure. You can measure rim surface to rim surface front and back. You can also go the side of the tire to the side of the tire if you like. I adjust it, back it up, drive forward and check it again.
Sheldon

YellowThumper

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on July 02, 2020, 07:35:25 AM
I set toe myself, I use a tape measure. You can measure rim surface to rim surface front and back. You can also go the side of the tire to the side of the tire if you like. I adjust it, back it up, drive forward and check it again.

This is where a plumb bob and straight edge is your friend.
Simple frame that leans onto the tire. Mark the bob point on the ground front, back and left, right.
Did mine that way. Helps to lay tape and mark the incremental movements as you go.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

soundcontrol

Just by eyeballing the wheels. now, it looks like I have a toe out!

I had to Google Plum Bob, now I know what it is :)

@RUNCHARGER  & @YellowThumper , so if I measure like that, what is the actual toe in setting I should aim for?

YellowThumper

Plagerized post from @Chryco Psycho on another forum.

Alignment specs

E bodies were delivered with bias tire for the most part so the alignment specs do not work for radial tires .
Assuming all of the bushings , ball joints & tierods are in good shape .
Changing the ride height by adjusting the torsion bars will affect setting & should be corrected First
optimum is
- Caster get as much as the adjustment will allow usually barely 3* this is done by turning the front adjusters so the control arm is as far outward as possible & the rear adjuster so the arm is as far inward as possible .  Installing Moogs offset upper bushing will get you more adjustment range .
- Camber  you want approx 1/2* negative so the top of the tire is slightly inward , this adjustment is done with the upper control aem cam bolts as well so you may have to back them off slightly to get the camber right .
- Toe in should be 1/16"

If the shop has to input a vehicle As a guideline HP2 suggests using  2005 Mustang Gt specs , you will not get there but it is a good start

Mike.

YellowThumper

Mike.

soundcontrol

Quote from: YellowThumper on July 02, 2020, 01:41:53 PM
Link to thread as there is more info farther down.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=106714.0

I see I posted in the thread 5 years ago! Totally forgot.  :drunk:

If I can set the toe-in myself, and the caster should be as much as allowed be the adjusters, maybe I can measure camber with a bubble level and do it all myself....
They charge me about $150 for an alignment here.
So the 1/16 toe in is the difference between front and back measurements, but does that not change if I measure on the rim or the tire?

RUNCHARGER

Yup: I try for 1/16" at the sidewall of the tire (up as high from the floor as you can get underneath the framerail).
Sheldon

soundcontrol

I made this, so I can measure on the outside of the rim. Looks the same in the other end.

Now, I did have a toe in, its about 3mm, 1/16" is 1,58mm, so almost double (2/16")
Is that small amount gonna make my car very sensitive to both steering wheel and tracks in the road?
My camber seems OK on the left, but way over on the right. Just measured with a bubble level.

RUNCHARGER

IMO: No it shouldn't pull that badly due to the toe. How much freeplay does the steering wheel have at rest?
Sheldon

soundcontrol

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on July 03, 2020, 05:25:08 PM
IMO: No it shouldn't pull that badly due to the toe. How much freeplay does the steering wheel have at rest?

It's pretty loose, maybe I should try adjusting the steering box. All joints are OK, they check that on the registation test.
Could the camber on the right wheel do that? It several degrees more than the left wheel.