Main Menu

Barnfind 1970 Barracuda

Started by soundcontrol, March 07, 2020, 01:28:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JS29

@soundcontrol  Good Idea, That way you don't have to worry about it later. buy a roll of line and use a double flair tool and get busy.  :wrenching:   

soundcontrol

Damn!
Why does the Chinese factories that makes part use metric heads on brake parts with US threads?
Drives me nuts, crawling in under the car with a 3/8" wrench that I know fits the brake nippels, only to find out
the new nipples are 10mm head with a UNF thread!

Also the new master cylinder, bolt head for the cap is 13mm instad of 1/2". But the thread is UNC.  :verymad:
Gonna see if I can use my original cap for this cylinder.

I guess this is not the brand OE restorers use.

soundcontrol

Love those turn signal marker lights on the fenders, one is dead though.
Is the little bulb replaceable? Kinda looks like I can screw it off, but I don't wanna break it...

anlauto

Yes it will screw off...might want to soak it in some penetrating fluid first ?  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

soundcontrol

Since there was rust in both the lower quarters and the lower fenders, I was sure there would be rust on the bottom of the doors and rockers also, but no, very clean.
I steel wired brushed the bottoms, put a rust encapsulator on and 2k epoxy so it will last to the upcoming restoration.

cudamadd

Well done doing it yourself. And great photos I must say  :australia:

soundcontrol

This is gonna be interesting...I painted a Dodge Dart 38 years ago, did OK, but then I had a paintbox to use...

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

cudamadd

This is how you save money  :cheers:

soundcontrol

I got it the way I wanted, black, a satin black that I had, I bought it for the Challenger engine bay.
I realised that to get it nice looking I need a few months of filler and block sanding, no time for that. And no patience either! Summer is here and I need to get it rolling.
I just went over it with 240 paper to get loose surface rust off and then painted it, I did borrow a pro paint gun, very nice.

Got a big run on the driver door, (was playing with the paint amount knob  :( ) gonna sand that tomorrow and repaint.
You can see every dent very well now and my filler job looks horrible on the quarters !  :D
But I got my feet wet, and I know how to work it now, good practice. I can always practice more on the quarters later, this black sands off easy.
Trunk lid got painted rust holes in the corners now... Might fix those later if I'm keeping that lid.

It has a pine tree right over the hood and it's getting small new cones, dripping something sticky all over the hood, so I had to put a tarp over it.
Need to move it ASAP. Gonna build a carport there soon with a roof.

@cudamadd, gonna restore it in a few years, for real.

RUNCHARGER

Itt looks tuff in the satin black.
Sheldon

soundcontrol

And some wheels, the "Lipstick on a Pig" concept really works!  :yes:
Waiting on a package from Texas now with the headlight bezels, hood inserts, the left side marker light and some emblems from Mopar Dave.
With the wheelhouse mouldings and the rocker trim it will look OK for the summer.

soundcontrol

Trying to get the grille fastened. The upper center hole in the header panel if off by more than 1". All other upper holes line up with the nuts in the grille.
(Original Cuda grille, new AMD header panel).
Weird, looks almost like the flange in the header panel is pointing in the wrong direction.
Or is there different versions of header panels and grilles for a 70 Cuda?

2 bottom holes don't line up either, but not this much.

YellowThumper

Wow that is off by a mile. Hope someone has an answer for you.
I like the satin look on it.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

anlauto

JUST BEND THE SUPPORT over in the header panel until it lines up with the grill.