Main Menu

NorCal 73 Challenger

Started by 7212Mopar, November 12, 2017, 07:50:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7212Mopar

Sorry about the video. Not sure what the issue is. The video is public. I wonder why the video plays on my computer in this thread but not on my phone. I am posting a new link here again. Let me know if it does not work.

Anyway, I took the car out around the neighborhood today after some more tuning. Engine stalls when put in drive with tires on the ground. I had to speed up the idle speed and increase the mixture a little. Took a drive down to the post office to mail my P-tax payment. Down the hill and back up total about a mile. Car drove fine, no leak, no stall but I am taking it easy to build up my confidence. Each drive hopefully will be longer than the previous. I will continue next week if weather is good. Middle of next week supposes to start raining, finally. BTW, I am still getting used to the loose converter. Car doesn't seems to want to move until over 2000 RPM. Converter is rated for 2600-2800 RPM.

1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

nsmall

Come on, put an air cleaner on that engine before you break something. :pokeeye:

How about more rear exhaust sounds?  I loved that part, cranked my speakers to 100%, risked waking up my little ones tonight, only to be teased by the video ending. 

On a serious note, I am BEYOND EXCITED FOR YOU!!!  I know we dont really know each other besides we happen to live in the same state, love e-bodies, But there is just something about your build, probably your shear determination to finish it that always excites me when I see you have an update.

Engine sounds nasty, as in vicious.  Keep it up :bradsthumb:

I hope you can terminate the pinging.

And watch those valve covers, I have the same owns, already broke one, dont over tighten them, they are cheap.

7212Mopar

More engine tuning today and got around 10-12 in vacuum, 11 degree initial and 37 degree around 2500 RPM, AF jumps around from 13.5 to 14.2 in idle and goes to around 12.8 to 13.2 when speed up, no ping. Engine idle around 1050 RPM in park and in neutral (seems high), but drops to 750 RPM in gear. Less than that, the engine will die when in gear. Need to put some miles to break in the engine and driveline and then revisit the idle speed. It was raining hard today so test drive will need to wait until the rain stop, hopefully tomorrow.

Per Nsmall's request, I made this rear exhaust only video.

nsmall

Sounds healthy.  Looking forward to a burn out video.

7212Mopar

Fill the tank up at the gas station and drove the car locally for about 10 miles. Got a few thumbs up along the way. Car drives great, steering is heavier than before, not much play and is much better feel than stock. Idle is rough and I think the cam is definitely on the big side even for a stroker. Lot of rattling from the PS quarter window. Suspension felt good and I think the front settle down by half an inch after the drive. I need to get used to the hydroboost brake travel and may need to bleed it some more. Transmission shift is very noticeable and firm. I gave it some gas from 25 to about 45 mph and felt great, actually addicting. However, it is really loud. I need to drive it more to get familiar and comfortable with the car. Also found engine used up half a quart of oil and will be keeping an eye on that.

7212Mopar

We are in winter weather here in California, meaning rain. Not complaining as we need it. Caught a bid of sun today so I took the car out for another 10 miles or so drive through the local city streets. Car had a hard time starting and it was not that cold at all. I had to play with the distributor a little and vroom it came to life. Not quite sure what the heck is going on and I have the initial timing set at 12 degree now. The distributor clamp bolt was tight but wondering may be not tight enough.

Anyway, car seems to drove better than last week. I will continue with this routine on non raining days for a few more weeks to keep stacking up miles on the drivetrain before getting comfortable to get on the freeway.

Also doing some research on the Fitech EFI system. Thinking doing this over the Christmas holidays. Most likely going with the 600HP version with the Fuel Command Center since I have a brand new SS tank, sender etc. Version two of FCC will return the fuel back to the main tank so prior fuel boiling problem of version 1 should not be an issue.

Topcat

This Spring, I would like to do a E Bodies.org gang long run.

Los Gatos meeting, and head to Gilroy, to Watsonville, thru the Redwoods, then heading back.

We've got at least 5 or 6 maybe more to possibly go.

Hope you'll be ready for that. 

:fingerscrossed:

7212Mopar

OK Mike. Fingers crossed,  :stayinlane:. I have three months to get ready to make it happen. Pressure on me. Music..... Eye of The Tiger, Rocky Balboa.

I will see if 70Pumpkin (Jeff) can make it too when we get closer.

7212Mopar

My first package from Summit arrived over the weekend. Got everything except the Fitech EFI and FCC2. It will not be shipped until the day before Christmas. Hopefully I get it right after. I need the FCC2 in order to find a spot for it. So for now, I prepped the MSD Pro-billet distributor and removed the advance and locked it. Took about 10 minutes to do. I am going to use the Fitech to control timing. I did notice that unlike the stock distributor, the MSD magnetic pickup is not adjustable and the gap between the rotor and the pickup is fixed. I like the design with the advance mechanism on top makes it easy to get to.

So while I am waiting, may be the next thing to do is to replace my driver side door glass. The original has a chipped corner at the top. Someone was trying to steal it at one point and I kind of recall the previous owner told me that it was stolen at one point and they got the car back quickly. I already have the new AMD door glass, so may be do some reading and get starting this weekend.

nsmall

Ughhh.  Never ends.  I can find some threads if you get stuck on the glass.   

7212Mopar

My FITech EFI was supposed to be shipped out on 12/24 and I got a confirming email from Summit on that. So I took time off between Christmas and New Year planning to work on the car and spend some time with the kid. It did not come and Summit now says it will shipped on 1/18.

I got the old door glass out but broke the front white plastic insert for mounting the glass to the regulator. I have to order a new one and is now waiting for it to show up. Also it appears that no one reproduces the paper washers for the sliders that goes to the front channel. So I am using 4 layers of roofing paper cutout and hope that is good enough. What did you guys use for that? I think I should move on to cleaning up the engine bay wiring and start prepping for the FITech EFI.

7212Mopar

Driver side door glass replaced. Easier than I expected.

Log onto Summit and found out the Fitech won't ship till 3-11-19. It is the second time they change the delivery date.  :pullinghair: WTH, I am going to call them to see what is going on.

Cuda Cody

Sounds soooooo GOOD!!!   :banana:   :burnout:

7212Mopar

Thanks Cody. It is not making any sound now since I disconnected the ignition and fuel systems getting ready for the Fitech to show up.

dodj

Quote from: Topcat on December 02, 2018, 06:59:22 PM
This Spring, I would like to do a E Bodies.org gang long run.

Los Gatos meeting, and head to Gilroy, to Watsonville, thru the Redwoods, then heading back.

We've got at least 5 or 6 maybe more to possibly go.

Hope you'll be ready for that. 

:fingerscrossed:
Wanna make it REALLY long? I'll join up if you swing by Thunder Bay Ontario Canada...... 8)
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill