Main Menu

Deplorable

Started by HUSTLESTUFF, March 05, 2017, 04:42:05 AM

Previous topic Next topic

HUSTLESTUFF

Hi, Mike here with a little about my project, "Deplorable".  I have a bunch of Mopars and have done a few cars for myself and my family and girlfriend.  I bought my latest project about five years ago from a local that lost her storage space.  It started as a what its worth and ended up taking home a project in pieces.  The couple had the bodywork started but was a shell in pieces when I found it.  It was missing original motor/trans/carbs and had what looks to be dealer A/C installed.  It supposedly was a parade car somewhere in AZ when new and therefore the A/C.  It came with build sheet and long list of bills of sale and a few poloroids from back in the day.  I had seen this rendering and knew that this car would end up this way.  I do every stage of the resoration and go pretty fast.  I didn't take a lot of pics as my only real internet is at work, but just got satellite for girlfriends kid for online school.  I'll try to keep current but only using phone now for pics.  I'm calling it Deplorable because it's a real AAR and I'm going to make it pro-touring.

HUSTLESTUFF

I had restored the door panels and dash with re-wiring it in between projects in the past.  Everything else was boxed and some missing.  I finished my girlfriends 72 Chevy truck in October and started back on this.  I started the sanding and bodywork on a dent in the 1/4 from previous owners storage.  It blocked out pretty good and the plan for flat black was a go.  I hate black engine compartments on Mopars so I had the engine compartment media blasted and instead of FK5, I went with Prowler Orange.  They are real close without direct sunlight. 

HUSTLESTUFF

I had gotten the 340 that was in the car running and lot drove it, but still cant figure what the engine came from.  I had my old standby 440 from my GTX that made 560 hp/tq laying around since building the 512 for the charger so I cleaned it up and painted it a different color since it's gonna be deplorable anyway.  I resisted the urge to cut the floor for a 4 speed since it was an original AAR so I built a 727 for it.  I liked the looks of header wrap and since the coated Doug's headers had some oil stains from the cast valve covers when it was in the Charger, I went with it. I bought the Hotchkis TVS kit and welded up the K-member with a kit from Firm Feel.  I like the way Hotchkis does their subframe connectors but because of the torque boxes I made my own bolt in.  I am going to order up a serpentine system from CV Racing and use vintage air.  I'll cut some real carbon to cover the holes in the firewall for the A/C.

HUSTLESTUFF

I have the fenders and doors blocked with about 3 coats of sanding primer and then sealed them with epoxy.  I had been working on the original hood but it was wavy even though it didn't have the typical hood flex.  I had almost thought of getting a replacement but did some more work and sealed it and shot a coat of feather fill to see where I was at.  It blocked pretty good and just a little more filler it was beautiful. 

My plan to offset the flat black on the AAR body is to use 3M's carbon fiber wrap where the original flat black was on the AAR's.  Since I don't have a booth, my plan is to shoot single stage and wet sand with 600 then 800, then shoot gloss clear and wet sand again, then shoot the flat clear.  I was going to use the hood to determine which shade of flat I liked the most, but the car is looking perfects so far, and I may change my mind and go gloss.  Once I shoot the 1/4's next week, I'll make my decision.  Since I have a vinyl top, I may leave it gloss and wrap whats not being wrapped in carbon in flat for a while.  I sent Challenger Gary the vinyl and he made the AAR stripes with a little modification to the shield since it won't be colored.

HUSTLESTUFF

Here's the few I have left on my phone, but will get some more.  Yes I have the wheels and tires from the rendering, but will probably go with Mickey Thompson ET street.  I had bought some viper calipers at a swap meet for $35 bucks a long time ago and just ordered Dr. Diffs adapters and got those together last week, but no pics yet.

Chryco Psycho

Cool
Welcome to the site  :cooldance:

Rev-It-Up

Welcome to the forum Hustlestuff!  Please keep posting updates. I look forward to watching this one come to life.   :welcome:
Rev-It-Up

ec_co

:welcome:

love your project and theme, should turn out great. even though I love a manual, but I'm happy to hear you kept the hump as is, hard to cut up an original AAR
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

303 Mopar

Welcome Mike!  That is going to be an amazing Cuda when its done!   :stayinlane:

Cuda Cody

Nicely done!!!! :bravo:  Looking really good.  That's going to be a sweet ride when you get done.      :yes:

Spikedog08

Looks like a great car!  Welcome Mike!  Glad you signed up as I will be watching this thread with excitement! 

:twothumbsup:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

cuda hunter

Good looking ride so far.  Can't wait to see what you do with it! 

:popcorn:
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Roadman

:welcome:     I like the direction your going on the car.   :ohyeah:

cudaragtop

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

jimynick

:welcome:  Cool car and it'll be fun to see how it comes out!  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"