Main Menu

Cut the quarters or not

Started by soundcontrol, April 04, 2017, 01:44:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

soundcontrol

Quote from: YellowThumper on April 06, 2017, 09:50:35 PM
My vote is to attempt to remove the lap now and try to but weld them as they are on the car.
Use that for the learning curve to get them done proper to your liking.
If "repair" doesnt work you already have the replacements to try it again using the knowledge you gained from the first attempt.

Mike  :yes:

Seems like a good strategy! The quarters I have are skins (they don't make whole quarters for the convertible) so even if I use those there will be a long butt welded seam, only difference is will be higher up.

A.Gramz

I would take a close look at the skins u have.    I had to cut mine under the body line. They were a different couture right behind the door. Not as detailed in the shape as factory.  That body line is what defines these car in my opinion so I wanted to keep the fine details.   Mine are Goodmark skins not sure if you have amd if they're  any different.  Just something to check before you cut

71GranCoupe

If you only have skins, I would really think about it some more. Once you start cutting, there is no turning back. If you think about it, they did overlaps on several areas of the factory install, floor pans, trunk pans, etc. On large areas as the quarters, there was no need to do them in sections, so one stamping and it was done. There are reworked AMD quarters out there, but not cheap and then shipping across the pond is going be out of site.

I looked at your current pictures(s) and unless I missed something, they don't look that bad. Now if you have rust bubbles showing down low or on the seams, that is a game changer. If mine, I would drive and enjoy it, just my  :alan2cents:.

JS29

If the seam bugs you that much you could clean it down, get some body-filler out and smooth it out. the factory had some kind of sound deadening spayed on the inside toe quarters. :alan2cents: :wrenching:

Cuda Cody

What skins (company) do you have?  I've seen some early skins that were made and they are pretty bad.  The fuel filler hole has 45 degree angle on it and I doubt it will even fit a gas cap.   :notsure:  Look them over really good.  :alan2cents:  But I'm with everyone else.  Now that you have it apart, fix it right.

Quote from: soundcontrol on April 07, 2017, 01:12:15 AM

The quarters I have are skins (they don't make whole quarters for the convertible) so even if I use those there will be a long butt welded seam, only difference is will be higher up.

soundcontrol

Not sure. They could be Goodmark, certainly not AMD, there is 2 numbers on a sticker, (CH2902647SR and C28E, nothing else), they are missing the drain in front of the wheelhouse, and so does my car right now, that gotta be fixed also.

soundcontrol

I looked a little closer today, while working on my trunk floor, and the seam is actually above the body line, 1-1,5" varies a bit. And the overlap is big, so my stock quarter goes down to to the bodyline on the inside. Seems like there is no flange made, (at least not on the inside), just spotwelded. I also tried a magnet and I can tell that there is bondo 1-2" above the bodyline. Next step is removing a bit of the (pretty new FC7....) paint to examine the seam.   :crying:
In some spots I can see rust forming on the cut edges of the old quarter, (from inside the trunk) so in time there will be problems.

Plan A: make a cut above the bodyline and buttweld.
Plan B. Change the whole skins to the new ones.

YellowThumper

Good luck with plan A.
But good to have plan B option.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

soundcontrol

OK, I sanded off some paint to look at the seam (tried paint stripper first, didn't work).
Not that much bondo and the seam looks pretty good, not buttwelded though.
(Old quarter goes down to the bodyline on the inside).
Now, if I make a cut below the welds, I will have to deal with some bumps and welds that left on the upper part.
Wonder if I should cut right where the weld is now?
Any suggestions?

YellowThumper

I vote for cutting low and dealing with the weld area separate.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

RUNCHARGER

In the end you only want 1 seam. You want that seam close to a body line as that body line will help prevent warping.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

It looks like you've got a old Sherman panels... Before you cut anything try fitting your marker lights to the panels & try fitting your fuel filler/fuel cap/flip top cap..... If everything fits.. Great proceed.... If not.. Think long & hard before proceeding.... The old Sherman panels were junk.... You'd be money ahead to suck it up & buy a set of the AMD panels that Ken Hopperdietzel has converted for convertibles...

http://www.ebodyconvertibleconversions.com/#!on-line-store

Oh... Before you do that post a thread about Ken & ask how dealings with him have been lately... I've heard plenty of good & some not so good... But from what I've heard these panels are pretty good & since they are based on an easily sourced AMD panel parts availability shouldn't be an issue...

71GranCoupe

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on April 22, 2017, 08:50:53 PM
It looks like you've got a old Sherman panels... Before you cut anything try fitting your marker lights to the panels & try fitting your fuel filler/fuel cap/flip top cap..... If everything fits.. Great proceed.... If not.. Think long & hard before proceeding.... The old Sherman panels were junk.... You'd be money ahead to suck it up & buy a set of the AMD panels that Ken Hopperdietzel has converted for convertibles...

http://www.ebodyconvertibleconversions.com/#!on-line-store

Oh... Before you do that post a thread about Ken & ask how dealings with him have been lately... I've heard plenty of good & some not so good... But from what I've heard these panels are pretty good & since they are based on an easily sourced AMD panel parts availability shouldn't be an issue...

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

If you are going to cut the quarters off, bite the bullet and get the AMD reworked quarters. If you are going to just hang skins and butt weld, I can't see enough  improvement to warrant the amount of work.

Jegs has a left listed for $1624, but shipping is going to be over the top. Not sure what they sell for from Ken, probably very similar. Jegs might be in a better position for shipping/exporting.

Tough call.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Metal-Direct/106/700-2570-VL/10002/-1?ymm=4294829708+4294829634+4294829086

soundcontrol

Thanks guys, your advidse really helps on this tough decision!
Those skins I got don't look exactly right to me either. I got them very cheap and I can always use them as patches on my -73 project later (it dosen't need whole quarters, just parts of the wheelhouse area).

I won't get already made quarters from Hopperdietzel, I already talked to him (even before I got the skins) and the prize is 2200 each. If so I can get AMD's and modify them myself, (how hard can it be.... ) and if I absolutely feel that I can't do them myself, I know people here that can, for way less money. Shipping is no big issue for me, it's cheap, I have friends that ships containers every month, it just takes 2-3 months go get my stuff, and I'm not in a hurry.

So, I will clean off the paint and bondo, see the whole seam, and make a cut, I think I can make it about 1/2" -1" above the bodyline, then I'll just have to see if I screwed it up or if I can make it nice...
Gonna take some time and build up the courage now...   :fingerscrossed:

anlauto

Quote from: soundcontrol on April 23, 2017, 03:08:56 AM
T

I won't get already made quarters from Hopperdietzel, I already talked to him (even before I got the skins) and the prize is 2200 each. If so I can get AMD's and modify them myself, (how hard can it be.... ) and if I absolutely feel that I can't do them myself, I know people here that can, for way less money. Shipping is no big issue for me, it's cheap, I have friends that ships containers every month, it just takes 2-3 months go get my stuff, and I'm not in a hurry.

Ken's quarters were nice, but I think any competent metal man can make them as well or weld the new quarters on just below the step flange.

The advantage of modifying the quarters yourself is that you can make them fit YOUR car. With Hopperdietzel's, you're just hoping they fit your car. Not worth the extra money in my opinion.  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration