Main Menu

Cut the quarters or not

Started by soundcontrol, April 04, 2017, 01:44:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

soundcontrol

Quote from: MoparDave on May 01, 2017, 07:00:42 AM
I can source you Dynacorn 100.00 less per panel. Have had no customer complaints on these like I've had from AMD panels.

Hmm, tempting! Thanks Dave. Gonna check with Bert if any containers are leaving soon.

soundcontrol

I cut out one outer wheelhouse today, since they are badly patched towards the quarter edge. How are the 2 halves welded together?  I could not see any trace of spotwelds, see pict 2. I cut it along the side for now, so I could remove it, but the flange towards the inner wheelhouse is still there. I bought 2 new outer wheelhouses from MoparDave, have to cut them up to make them fit a convertible though.

Cuda Cody

I've seen a lot of really good adhesives so maybe that's how they did it?   :notsure:

soundcontrol

Quote from: Cuda Cody on May 01, 2017, 10:58:41 AM
I've seen a lot of really good adhesives so maybe that's how they did it?   :notsure:

Nope, it is welded, but not spotwelded, I had to grind the whole thing to get it off. Not sure how they welded that way but it was totally sealed.

soundcontrol

Ooops, my quarters fell off, both of them.
Oh, well, plan B then!
Plan C is getting new ones from MoparDave.
:yes:

soundcontrol

When I fit the skins, what best to use, clecos or metal screws? Are clecos better?

Cuda Cody

I've used both, but I like Clecos for butt joint welds and I use self tapping metal screw for full panel replacements.   :alan2cents:

Quote from: soundcontrol on May 05, 2017, 10:42:49 AM
When I fit the skins, what best to use, clecos or metal screws? Are clecos better?

soundcontrol

Quote from: Cuda Cody on May 05, 2017, 11:28:03 AM
I've used both, but I like Clecos for butt joint welds and I use self tapping metal screw for full panel replacements.   :alan2cents:

I just ordered a bunch of clecos, never tried them (well, I never replaced a panel either...). So its gonna be fun to try.

Cuda Cody

When I replace quarters, I like to have the door in place (with 52 pounds of weight) with the fenders and hood also installed.  I do all that before I take the quarters off.  That way I can remove (one quarter) and install it back in the same spot so it lines up with the doors, which in turn line up with the fenders, which line up with the front of the hood.  That assures me that everything is going to fit nicely.  Then after I have one quarter installed, I do the same to the second quarter.  I see you still have the door latch area in place so you can still get everything lined up with the factory pillar before you replace the quarter.  :alan2cents:

soundcontrol

Quote from: Cuda Cody on May 05, 2017, 02:54:43 PM
When I replace quarters, I like to have the door in place (with 52 pounds of weight) with the fenders and hood also installed.  I do all that before I take the quarters off.  That way I can remove (one quarter) and install it back in the same spot so it lines up with the doors, which in turn line up with the fenders, which line up with the front of the hood.  That assures me that everything is going to fit nicely.  Then after I have one quarter installed, I do the same to the second quarter.  I see you still have the door latch area in place so you can still get everything lined up with the factory pillar before you replace the quarter.  :alan2cents:

I thought about the door, didn't think as fas as the fender though, hood is gonna be tough, but maybe I should tempfit both the door and the fender...
Thanks for that suggestion, very good one. I also thought about the rear light panel area, I have the SE trim there and the shape of the old fender did not match the trim so good, so I was gonna temp fit everything before I welded.

Cuda Cody

:yes:  Totally....  test fit as much as you can right now.  You will be much happier you did when it comes time to put it together. 

soundcontrol

I'm picking up my old thread about my quarters again. After many testfittings and adjusting the doors, I thought my skins were OK, but now I noticed that the bodyline is not perfect, my bodyline is not as sharp as the picture of this stock green Challenger and towards the door the stock one seems to have a slight S-shape before it meets the door, so it kinda straitghtens out before the door. Mine does not, it kinda goes straight down.  I also looked at old pictures of my car and it did not have the S-shape with the old quarters either (also skins).
My left skin also had a big bump in the bodyline at the rear, that is now fixed.

I am searching for pictures of Challenger body lines now and I actually find some kinda looking like my skins. Does anybody have a closeup of a AMD quarter that clearly shows the shape of the bodyline? Looking at the picture on AMD's website, I see no pronounced S-shape there either...
(but it's not a good picture, on their site)

I am temped to skip these skins and buy new ones now, but AMD still don't have the left one in stock.

Problems found with the skins I have: Bump in bodyline rear LH, bodyline not as sharp, bodyline do not look correct going down towards the door, no drains pressed at all. Gascap don't fit RH.  It's Goodmark or Sherman I guess.

A.Gramz

Quote from: A.Gramz on April 07, 2017, 04:10:34 AM
I would take a close look at the skins u have.    I had to cut mine under the body line. They were a different couture right behind the door. Not as detailed in the shape as factory.  That body line is what defines these car in my opinion so I wanted to keep the fine details.   Mine are Goodmark skins not sure if you have amd if they're  any different.  Just something to check before you cut

Quote from: soundcontrol on November 26, 2017, 05:49:56 AM
I'm picking up my old thread about my quarters again. After many testfittings and adjusting the doors, I thought my skins were OK, but now I noticed that the bodyline is not perfect, my bodyline is not as sharp as the picture of this stock green Challenger and towards the door the stock one seems to have a slight S-shape before it meets the door, so it kinda straitghtens out before the door. Mine does not, it kinda goes straight down.  I also looked at old pictures of my car and it did not have the S-shape with the old quarters either (also skins).
My left skin also had a big bump in the bodyline at the rear, that is now fixed.

Problems found with the skins I have: Bump in bodyline rear LH, bodyline not as sharp, bodyline do not look correct going down towards the door, no drains pressed at all. Gascap don't fit RH.  It's Goodmark or Sherman I guess.

It's hard to see but I put paint marker on it to try for a better picture.  Stock(greyish) vs Goodmark (black) skin

RUNCHARGER

Oh yeah: That doesn't look right at all. I don't imagine there is another Challenger close to you that you could trace the correct shape from? That S shape can be fixed but it will take time and patience to reshape it correctly. You want to make sure your rear valance fits the quarter correctly as well at this point. Did AMD indicate a timeline for the quarters? Perhaps a vendor somewhere has some in stock.
This is a factory quarter on my old Orange car.
Sheldon

soundcontrol

@A.Gramz, yes, that exactly the difference I have! Very clear there.

@RUNCHARGER, I also have a -73 with correct bodylines, but I do not have the skills for fixing a bodyline like that (yet).
I mailed AMD and asked them for an ETA. MoparDave had some Dynacords also, he said was good, gonna mail him also.
I can always use these skins on the -73, that one just needs the lower parts, and wheelhouse opening.

That orange Challenger looks perfect, thats what I want.

And I welded the outer wheelhouse (AMD) fitting with the skin I have, IF I get new ones, hopfully they will fit the placement of the outer wheelhouse that I have now.

Here's a closer picture.