Main Menu

Door glass help needed - 70 Challenger

Started by GerryThal, July 23, 2020, 03:19:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GerryThal

I am in need of help with assembling the door glass in my 1970 Challenger. I took the doors apart 3 years ago, and I did bag the parts, but dont recall the placement. Thank you so much for your help!

Picture #1:
Please let me know if the "door glass stabilizer" (correct term??) needs new rubber & is the rubber "flocked"? Mine are in OK condition... Also, do you put any lube in the channel?

Picture #2: are these the upstops for the door glass? Where do they go?

anlauto

Your part looks fine....I grease the channel up. The two up stops are from  72-74 Door and mount to the inside of the door you should see slots and holes where they go
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

Picture 1 - the rubber looks OK
I usually use white lithium on the slides for lube
Picture 2 - yes those are up stops on the doors they bolt to the inside upper lip , there are also similar brackets to position the glass inward that have felt on them .

anlauto

I have a 1971 Cuda in the shop right now with a 1973-74 door on one side only, complicates things because all the window hardware is totally different including the up stop locations.

Here's where they go, one at the front, and one at the rear obviously
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

GerryThal

Thank you SO much for the help guys!
This is a 1970, but I am now wondering/thinking that the doors are from a different year?
This may explain why I have different hardware for each door....     :(

I will check both doors tonight, and update.

Thank you again for your advise !!  :bigthumb:

anlauto

I'm 100% certain those up-stops are from a newer door.

GerryThal

Ok, here are pics of both doors - they are different :(

so this means I will need different hardware for each door?

do the both use the same type guides?

Jay Bee

Can't answer the guide question, what I can tell you is that the passenger side is a 1970 one and the driver side is a 1971 and up.

GerryThal

Thank you for identifying the doors - the passenger side is missing the guides and upstops - thats why I was wondering if they take the same hardware = looks like the upstops will be different??

JonH

driver side front and rear up stops 70 Challenger

anlauto

There are plenty of differences, but I believe you can make everything from a 70-71 work inside a 73-74 door with the EXCEPTION of the up-stops.
The main difference is the width of the front track. :alan2cents:

RJChallenger

1970  window regulators will not work in a 71-74 style doors . The window will not completely go down. The later style window regulators will work in all doors.

anlauto

That's an interesting point Rob that I never thought of

Jay Bee

Quote from: RJChallenger on July 25, 2020, 08:25:03 PM
1970  window regulators will not work in a 71-74 style doors . The window will not completely go down. The later style window regulators will work in all doors.

That only applies to Challengers. I have a 1970 regulator in my '71+ right side door. Somewhere on this forum I went through an explanation as to why that is.

GerryThal

Thanks again to all you guys for the help!

These are the guides I purchased - I dont believe I have any like the short ones - both of my doors seem to take the "long" guide in the front, so I am assuming the short guides go in the back? Does anyone have a photo of the guides in place?