Main Menu

Door glass help needed - 70 Challenger

Started by GerryThal, July 23, 2020, 03:19:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GerryThal

The new guides arrived yesterday - I didnt remove any "short" guides like the new ones in the picture above, are they for the rear of the doors? These were listed as 70-74. Are the guides in all the Challengers the same?

Do the short guides go with the short leg of the "J" towards the glass?

Below are pictures of the left and right doors and what I'm thinking might be the guide and upstop locations - please confirm if my notations are correct

I have also included a (numbered) photo of the hardware for my left door, could someone please identify them by number?

anlauto

Pictures 1 & 2 are correct, picture three is corrected below...

I can tackle picture four aft "90 Day Fiancée" is over... :))
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

1) Window regulator to door. Either side, also used for rear regulator
2) In the rear quarter holding the triangle lower track bracket/also used for door front track lower bracket to door
3) Used in several places, inner door handles to door, lock lever mechanism to door etc...
4) 1970-71 Up Stops as well as the top bolts of both front a rear vertical tracks
5) Retain the outer door handles to door
6) Rear 1/4 window roller guide
7) 70-71 style front track window guide
8 ) The horizontal track rear bolt
9) The horizontal track front bolt
10) The front widow rear track guide triangle to glass nut
11) The horizontal front track retainer #9 screws into
12) The broken backside of #11
13) On the door inner to secure the arm rest pull cup
14) 70-71 Front window guide retainer that #7 screws into.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

GerryThal

Thank you for your amazing help!!!

I didnt remove any "short" guides like the new ones in the picture above, are they for the rear of the doors? These were listed as 70-74.

Are the guides in all the Challengers the same?

Do the short guides go with the short leg of the "J" towards the glass?

GerryThal

Hi Alan, are these the upstops I need for the passenger door, since its different? 
Thank you for all your help!
Gerry

GerryThal

photo of upstops - are these correct for my passenger door? Thank you

anlauto

Yes, two of those Up-stops are used on the passenger side door. The window guides you bought are typically found on on 1970 doors then they were eliminated by 71. Your DS door may hay the holes for them, but they weren't used after 1970. The short ones J curves outbound the same as the fronts but they never fit that good.

ALL 70-74 E Bodies use four of these guides as well (2 per door)

GerryThal

Thanks to the great help on this site, I have the drivers glass installed - On to the next issue...

The doors are different where the weatherstrip attaches to the door - the drivers door has 1/8" holes, and the passengers door has slots.

The slots seem to be correct for the weatherstrip "tabs" - since the tabs are approx 3/16" - see photos.
Is it as simple as drilling out the 1/8" holes to fit the 3/16" tabs, or ??

Thanks again for all your great help!!!

Dakota

:popcorn:   Great info.   I'm sure I'll need to refer to this when I open up my doors next year.

GerryThal

Hopefully both of your doors will be the same!!  :unbelievable:

Scooter

Plan on doing my door glass innards, tracks.. fuzzies and rubbers this winter. Keep them photos coming!

:popcorn:

Spikedog08

Some good info here for sure . . Another thread to check with a ton of good info on glass >  https://forum.e-bodies.org/body-shop/5/cuda-door-and-side-window-replacement/371/
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

anlauto

Quote from: GerryThal on August 10, 2020, 02:41:00 PM
Thanks to the great help on this site, I have the drivers glass installed - On to the next issue...

The doors are different where the weatherstrip attaches to the door - the drivers door has 1/8" holes, and the passengers door has slots.

The slots seem to be correct for the weatherstrip "tabs" - since the tabs are approx 3/16" - see photos.
Is it as simple as drilling out the 1/8" holes to fit the 3/16" tabs, or ??

Thanks again for all your great help!!!

@GerryThal  you have two choices, try to open up the 1/8" inch hole to accept the clips, would have to be pretty accurate. Or carefully remove the clips, drill holes in the trim and use screws to attach the trim. The door with the slots is 1970 and early 71, while the door with the holes is 71 and up.
You could buy another set of trim correct with screw holes. :dunno:

Odin

Quote from: anlauto on July 26, 2020, 07:24:06 PM
1) Window regulator to door. Either side, also used for rear regulator
2) In the rear quarter holding the triangle lower track bracket/also used for door front track lower bracket to door
3) Used in several places, inner door handles to door, lock lever mechanism to door etc...
4) 1970-71 Up Stops as well as the top bolts of both front a rear vertical tracks
5) Retain the outer door handles to door
6) Rear 1/4 window roller guide
7) 70-71 style front track window guide
8 ) The horizontal track rear bolt
9) The horizontal track front bolt
10) The front widow rear track guide triangle to glass nut
11) The horizontal front track retainer #9 screws into
12) The broken backside of #11
13) On the door inner to secure the arm rest pull cup
14) 70-71 Front window guide retainer that #7 screws into.

My 71 Challenger driver door glass dropped at the front end tonight.  I took the door apart and found the machine screw (#() in the horizontal lift bar, and I found a broken version of (#11) lying in the bottom of the door.

Where can I fin a new #11?
does #9 normally have a rubber hose around it where it passes through  the glass?
Is there any kind of washer or gasket between the horizontal lift track and the Glass at this connection?

Here is the #11 I found in my door.

GerryThal

Is that what these are?
I got these in the window rebuild kit, and dont know where thy go...