Main Menu

Holes too large in firewall to mount voltage regulator etc.

Started by mseagle, March 22, 2018, 08:59:42 AM

Previous topic Next topic

mseagle

I need some help guys.  The Challenger just got back home from the body shop after a year long restoration.  I ordered the correct OE restoration paint cutter bolts to hold the voltage regulator, starter relay, etc to the firewall and fender.  The holes are too large from someone a long time ago using a different bolt to mount the items.  The new bolts will just not bite.  Short of going to the hardware store and trying every possible larger bolt, does anyone have any tricks to fix this?  I would really like to use the OE style bolts but the car is all painted and nearly plumbed out.  Welding the holes in is not an option.

Any help is greatly appreciated !!

Thanks,

Mark

1 Wild R/T

The OE bolts for the regulator & ballast have a smaller head & a built in washer but the thread is standard 1/4-20 so you can put a nut on the back side in the cowl vent area....

manycj

You should be able to use nuts on the back side (inside the cowl).
<I>If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so no onw can!"</I>

mseagle

Shane Kelley

Very common problem. I like using the 1/4x20 serrated flange nuts on those. (see pic) They lock to the body pretty good so you don't have to keep holding them with a wrench while tightening the bolts. Also acts like a lock nut and won't loosen up on you.  :alan2cents:

mseagle

Spikedog08

Yep . . . what they said.  I have to do the same on the convertible . . .  :twothumbsup:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

anlauto

When I run into that issue.....my first thought...."Ahhhh nuts".... :angry: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cudakiller70

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Cudakiller70 on March 22, 2018, 01:49:13 PM
Would nutserts be an option?

Yeah, but it wouldn't look stock... The nuts are invisible & work great...

GoodysGotaCuda

Be sure you make good contact with bare metal so that it grounds and can actually regulate voltage...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

anlauto

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on March 22, 2018, 01:52:37 PM

....and you can get them super tight for a good ground and not worry about stripping them out like nutserts
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: anlauto on March 22, 2018, 02:19:18 PM
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on March 22, 2018, 01:52:37 PM

....and you can get them super tight for a good ground and not worry about stripping them out like nutserts

Properly installed nutserts are very strong. They hold in my radiator, ebrake cables, HVAC box, etc. All of the body ground on my car are se with dielectric grease and a nutsert as well. No problem.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

jimynick

Unless the previous owner drilled the holes oversize and if you're able to access them, you should be able to take two small hammers and using one as a buck, use the other over the hole to gently peen them further closed from the back side to allow the bolt to bite. If you're careful and accurate you should be able to do this without leaving visible marks. Just my  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

RUNCHARGER

In a low stress situation like that you can also take small pieces of copper single strand wire (say 1/2" long) and bend them into a u-shape. You can clip them in the bolt holes two per hole and they will allow the bolt to be tightened up into the too large hole.
Sheldon