normal_post in Paint gun in Tools and Equipment Author Topic: Paint gun  (Read 273 times)

Offline Rdchallenger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Big Block
  • Credits: 520
    • Share Post
xx in Paint gun in Tools and Equipment
Paint gun
« on: November 19, 2020, 04:23:35 PM »
For you at home painters here, that will do maybe one to two cars a year if that. What paint gun do you use or prefer and why? Just looking for some ideas of what I want to use besides the cheap HF guns Iíve been using for primer and on places that wonít be seen haha.

Iím currently looking into the Devilbliss finish line.

Linkback: https://forum.e-bodies.org/tools-and-equipment/22/paint-gun/19035/
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 04:43:49 PM by Rdchallenger »

Offline Rich G.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Six Pack
  • index in Paint gun in Tools and Equipment
  • Credits: 10190
    • Share Post
Re: Paint gun
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 05:19:45 PM »
Canít go wrong with DeVilbiss . I painted my last 2 car with the Eastwood Concourse gun. Very happy with that. Iíd love to try one of those expensive guns to see what the difference is.

Offline Rdchallenger

• Big Block
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 05:24:27 PM »
Canít go wrong with DeVilbiss . I painted my last 2 car with the Eastwood Concourse gun. Very happy with that. Iíd love to try one of those expensive guns to see what the difference is.
[/quote

I would too! But not trying to go crazy on a paint gun, the finish line isnít too much more than the Concourse... which Iíve also thought about as well.

E-Bodies Cuda Challenger Message Forum

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 05:24:27 PM »

Offline Bills Auto Works

• Small Block
  • Credits: 2430
    • Share Post
    • Jalopyjournal.com
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 06:08:58 PM »
 I have been using the Dev. Finish Line HVLP gun for many years. It is a good all around gun. I also have a Techna Copper that I like a lot.

Honestly the best deal on a gun that works really great is the Harbor Freight Black Widow. I am a member of the Tamco Family FB group (my paint company) & there have been at least a dozen painters like myself that bought them just to try & love them. Even though all of us have the big dollar type guns (some have several)

There are 2 versions of the Black Widow : An HVLP with a 1.7 tip which would be best for primer & decent for basecoat/clearcoat The other is an HTE that comes with a 1.3 tip which is good for basecoat & great for clearcoat. If I was in the market I would probably buy one of each right now because they are on sale for I believe $149.00

I actually still have my Binks #7 with agitating cup & my Sharpe 775, both from back in the 80's. I don't use them , but can't seem to get rid of them! :looney:

God bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/
YOUR QUALITY MOPAR TRANSPORTER SINCE 1983!

Offline Rdchallenger

• Big Block
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 06:20:47 PM »
I have been using the Dev. Finish Line HVLP gun for many years. It is a good all around gun. I also have a Techna Copper that I like a lot.

Honestly the best deal on a gun that works really great is the Harbor Freight Black Widow. I am a member of the Tamco Family FB group (my paint company) & there have been at least a dozen painters like myself that bought them just to try & love them. Even though all of us have the big dollar type guns (some have several)

There are 2 versions of the Black Widow : An HVLP with a 1.7 tip which would be best for primer & decent for basecoat/clearcoat The other is an HTE that comes with a 1.3 tip which is good for basecoat & great for clearcoat. If I was in the market I would probably buy one of each right now because they are on sale for I believe $149.00

I actually still have my Binks #7 with agitating cup & my Sharpe 775, both from back in the 80's. I don't use them , but can't seem to get rid of them! :looney:

God bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

The Black Widow caught has caught my eye a number of times! But since Iím using Shopline single stage it calls for 1.4-1.6 which is outside of the Widowís window on tips. Iíve honestly wanted that gun since it has came out because of the good things Iíve heard about it!

Offline Bills Auto Works

• Small Block
    • Share Post
    • Jalopyjournal.com
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 07:18:51 PM »

The Black Widow caught has caught my eye a number of times! But since Iím using Shopline single stage it calls for 1.4-1.6 which is outside of the Widowís window on tips. Iíve honestly wanted that gun since it has came out because of the good things Iíve heard about it!
[/quote]

If you buy the Black Widow HTE, you can buy a 1.4 tip directly from H.F. to replace the 1.3! Another + is that they now have rebuild kits for them. In the past they did not. If you end up liking it, buy the HVLP for primering the next time they are on sale.

God bless
Bill

Offline Rdchallenger

• Big Block
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 09:43:01 AM »

If you buy the Black Widow HTE, you can buy a 1.4 tip directly from H.F. to replace the 1.3! Another + is that they now have rebuild kits for them. In the past they did not. If you end up liking it, buy the HVLP for primering the next time they are on sale.

God bless
Bill
[/quote]

Hmmm, would you rather the HTE or HVLP for SS

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 09:43:01 AM »

Offline Bills Auto Works

• Small Block
    • Share Post
    • Jalopyjournal.com
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 12:33:02 PM »
 Honestly, I cannot answer that for you because only you know how you paint. I will say to anyone trying to chose between the two....A recommendation by a paint company on the size of tip to use is just that A recommendation. Depending on your experience & ability, you can laying out a show quality basecoat/clearcoat paint job with a 1.8 tip, I have done it many times with the Finish Line, you just have to know what you are using! Distance from the car, speed, overlap, how much product, etc all come into play when spraying. I would recommend to someone who has no gun to buy the HVLP Black Widow because you can do all parts of a paint job with a 1.7 tip, but you cannot shoot high build primer through the 1.3 tip in the HTE, unless you thin the crap out of it  & then you are defeating the purpose of the high build primer!

God bless
Bill

Offline Rdchallenger

• Big Block
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 01:42:35 PM »
Honestly, I cannot answer that for you because only you know how you paint. I will say to anyone trying to chose between the two....A recommendation by a paint company on the size of tip to use is just that A recommendation. Depending on your experience & ability, you can laying out a show quality basecoat/clearcoat paint job with a 1.8 tip, I have done it many times with the Finish Line, you just have to know what you are using! Distance from the car, speed, overlap, how much product, etc all come into play when spraying. I would recommend to someone who has no gun to buy the HVLP Black Widow because you can do all parts of a paint job with a 1.7 tip, but you cannot shoot high build primer through the 1.3 tip in the HTE, unless you thin the crap out of it  & then you are defeating the purpose of the high build primer!

God bless
Bill

I appreciate all the info Bill! I went up today and bought the HTE Black Widow as it is on say for $149 plus another 10 off since itís over 100 dollars. As far as primers, Iím sticking with reliable purple HF haha.

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 01:42:35 PM »

Tags:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter Share via whatsapp

xx
How much paint will I need?

Started by Dakota

14 Replies
Last post August 22, 2018, 10:12:44 PM
by tparker
xx
what paint?

Started by cuda hunter

17 Replies
Last post December 03, 2019, 11:16:47 AM
by tparker