Main Menu

How much to re-chrome

Started by tparker, February 23, 2023, 09:50:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

Hi all, I saw another post about re-chroming and I didn't want to hijack that thread. But I'm curious how much is it to re-chrome parts? I know it depends on how large an item and the shape of it, but was curious some ball park figures. I always assumed it was real expensive so never really looked into it.

If I am going to do it I have to get on it since they are seriously trying to ban chroming in California.

cudaragtop

Can't beat triple chrome plating from a quality shop.
I think it was about $1500 to have my 2 original 69 Barracuda bumpers done. Art Brass in Seattle WA.
Some straightening and beautiful chrome.
I think I could have bought 2 brand new AMD repop bumpers for a little over $500
I bought AMD Bumpers for my 70 Challenger for around $500 for the pair. They look okay for a nice driver, cruiser.
They are nowhere near the quality of the re-chromed factory Barracuda bumpers. Oh, and I sold the Challenger.
My re-chromed 70 Cuda Bumpers, done in 1987 still look awesome. Queen City Plating in Mukilteo WA.

I can see grinding marks through the chrome of repops, the chrome is not as nice and the bumpers are thinner metal.

Art Brass also re-chromed the 69 Barracuda Wing Window frames. They look like jewelry. Really nice works of art.

The Cuda and the Barracuda will never be sold... at least not in this lifetime.

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

anlauto

It all depends on where you live or whether or not you're willing to ship. Here in Ontario, it's now about $1800 to do one bumper  :looney: Maybe try Mexico ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

chargerdon

Around 2008, i bought a re-chromed front bumper for my 66 Charger while at the Carlisle Mopar show from Tri-City from Tennessee for $325 and a core.   

So three years ago when i was restoring my 74 Challenger i called them to see if they had any 74 Challenger bumpers.   They did not but i could ship mine to them and then pick it up after rechroming  at Carlisle to avoid shipping charges.    Unfortunately the price has risen dramatically...it would be About $75 to ship it to them, and their price was $650...about double what it was back in 2008.   I assume it has gone even higher.   

So instead i bought NEW Repops for around $200 each.   They are AMD and they fit well and look fine...   I have no problem with repops.

JH27N0B

Having things rechromed is getting ridiculously priced now.
My '71 had an incorrect front bumper on it, an early build car but had the late style notched bumper.
5 or 6 years ago, I bought a 70 to early 71 core at a swap meet for $75, and a friend who restores trim sent it off to his go-to place in Minnesota I think it was Goodmark, where it got beautifully rechromed for $425.
A year or two later he told me I was lucky I got it done when I did because Goodmark got sold and the new owners jacked prices way up and service went down, so he was now using Tri City instead.
Recently he was having all kinds of issues with Tri City on a '68 Skylark front bumper having to send it back several times to redo, I think he said that one was an over $2000 job!
He said he's so fed up with the chromer business situation now, that Skylark bumper was the last rechrome job he's acting as middleman for, he quits!
I asked last year what my Challenger bumper job would be now he said around $800.
Also him or some other car guy I know was telling me some jaw dropping story about a late 50s Caddy.  $20,000 for chroming!
That may have just been the front bumper or maybe all the chrome, I fainted when I heard that which affected my memory of the details.  :Thud:

B5fourspeed

I bought the AMD front and rear bumper for my 70 Cuda and they look and fit great.

ZippyZoo

In 2019 I dropped my 71 Challenger front and rear bumpers plus rear bumper guards off for straightening and re-chroming with Tri-City at their booth at Carlisle. 
They came back and look nice for $830.  Based on other posters' information above, it sounds like their prices skyrocketed since then like everyone else's.

tparker

Holy cow, and that is why I never really looked into it. So I assume doing even small pieces like the auto shifter cover, window trim, and other smaller pieces are in the several hundreds of dollars. Crazy. I guess my new tag line is that the bad chrome is just character  :D

57Fury440

The quality rechromed bumpers I have seen look great. They cost quite a bit. The 72 Barracuda I bought new and still have never came with chrome of that caliber. The AMD bumpers that people complain about are actually very close to the original chrome. That being said most cars today are way over restored.

anlauto

My friend had an automatic shifter bezel done about two years ago here in Ontario, price was $275...PG Classics repros will do for me
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MoparLeo

ottom line my friend is that you need to call the re-chroming companies to get todays prices.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

MoparCarGuy

I have the repro bumpers from YearOne that I purchased in 1999. Went to their warehouse in Georgia and hand-picked out the best front and rear bumpers in stock. Also got the rear bumperettes. Paid less than $200 each for the bumpers. Sold my original bumpers for $100 each. Net cost was less than $100 for new bumpers plus the bumperette cost.
They still look perfect today.
FWIW the front picture shows my swap to Hella H4 headlamp housings with 6500K LED bulbs. Pattern has a great cutoff line. I posted a separate thread on the LED conversion.
https://forum.e-bodies.org/electrical-and-audio/11/upgrade-to-h4-headlamps-and-led-bulbs/27673/msg310471#msg310471

6PKRTSE

I have had AMD repro bumpers on my Challenger now for about 10 years. The fit and finish was excellent. Still look like new today.

jimynick

"Also him or some other car guy I know was telling me some jaw dropping story about a late 50s Caddy.  $20,000 for chroming!" While on the Ontario Hot Rod tour last summer, we were taken on a full tour of RM Restorations and while I was looking at a beautiful '29 Duesenberg, the guide mentioned that the chrome for the car was $100,000.00 How do ya like that!? Unbelievable the greed of some (most?) vendors.  :looney:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Rich G.

Well I got some sticker shock today. Went to the shop that has done all of my chrome for years. Haven't been there in a few years but brought him my hood ornament off my 47 Dodge truck. Figured 75-100 dollars. He gave me a price of $250.00 and I just about died! Oh well, another receipt tossed in the folder 😩